Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a 2003 Clio Sport 2.0 16v 172 and there seems to be a problem with the brakes which is worrying me a bit. Basically when you put your foot on the brake pedal it takes AGES to slow down... almost like they aren't working at all. I took it to a mate who likes to poke about with engines in his spare time and he advised me that the vacuum pipe from the brake servo has melted to itself. I understand this as, where the pipe has melted together it cannot send power to the brakes... am I right? When the car is turned off and you pump the brake pedal it becomes extremely stiff. Also, when you are slowing down, for example, to a junction, it makes a grinding noise and you get some kicking from the brake pedal. I though at first that the pads just needed changing (i guess they might as he, or I didn't check).

Please excuse my motoring ignorance!

Has anybody experienced a similar problem, or know what might be wrong?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
I would suggest getting your brakes checked out as the grinding noise can be metal on metal... so no brake pads. The Brake pedal kicking usually is the abs but not too sure if the 172 has abs or if thats just the cup or not!!

Reaction score
would you imagine the servo pipe thing to be an expensive job?

Sorry for being so vague!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
it could in theory be a a few things, servo sounds like a good place to start. pads & fluid levels would be my next thoughts as would fluid lines. All of the above could cause similar symptoms to what you've reported.

the 172 didn't have abs i think so the kicking back of the pedal is a worry - seriously i wouldn't be driving the car until you've got it fixed as if you crashed (whether you're fault or not) you're insurance company wouldn't payout.

If you hit a house or say a high value merc etc then you'll be looking at serious financial headache.

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies... We took it to a very open space to test the brakes properly and they work fine, you just have to push VERY hard on the pedal. We had a look in the engine bay and the servo vacuum pipe has been somehow crimped together, i guess in the heat from the engine therefore there is not helping when braking like it should. New pipe arriving today, fitted tomorrow. Pads have around 500miles left on them, all fluid levels are fine. The only other thing was that 1 of the tyres had a really bad flat spot and was pretty bald so was throwing the handling right off... that's getting sorted tomorrow.

Seems like I'm going to have a fully working car very soon! WOOOOOHOOOOO!