nby

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am completely new to Renaults full stop, I have only ever had fords/vauxhalls in the past so i'm out of my depth but as you will see I couldn't pass this up!.

Not sure where to start really, I was offered a clio as an ex company car (who I work for) and was told it had high mileage needed some work and mot expires wednesday etc. As I was after a small 1.1/1.2 runabout and thats what I expected to be offered for the price so I asked for more details, however, it turns out to be a 55 plate Clio Trophy :shock:

the downside; 170,000 miles (full Renault dealer service history), front shocks need sorting, problem with alarm (bonnet sensor), and mot runs out Wednesday

for anyone who is interested theres a big old thread on cliosport http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=457894

oh yeah I forgot to mention they wanted £1900 for it :lol:, another long story short, the deal is done and I pick it up Friday morning, to say i'm chuffed to bits is an understatement.. not sure on the model # as of yet. I will keep you guys and CS posted on the details;

anyway pics of the 170k'er;
pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

Reaction score
Trophy No.
170k :shock: Though it's brilliant to see that it's still going strong. that is a bargain btw, spend a little and you'll have a great car.

nby

Reaction score
Johnnytheboy said:
170k! Is that a record?

thanks for the welcome and I would imagine so, original gearbox also :lol:

two belt changes 80k and 130k, and a guy on Cliosport worked out roughly at least £25k worth of petrol has been put through it at the company expense! :shock:

all in 4 years nice..

nby

Reaction score
marrow said:
Johnnytheboy said:
170k! Is that a record?

More to the point Johnny, is that a record for a French car?!!

Just goes to show how long cars last if they have a huge amount of money spent on them :oops:

every other page in the history is tyres, brake disks/pads and plastic trim.

Reaction score
This is immense, I'd have bought it as a second/track car if I knew there was one for £1900 :eek:

170k, must be motorway constantly so probably never been thrashed (much).

nby

Reaction score
roystinho said:
This is immense, I'd have bought it as a second/track car if I knew there was one for £1900 :eek:

170k, must be motorway constantly so probably never been thrashed (much).

it is indeed motorway mileage, its also a single owner car :D

nby

Reaction score
Olliev8 said:
Thats a bargain!!!!! and it shouldn't cost too much getting the dampers re-built. BUY BUY BUY :D

its bought bought bought :D, grabbing keys Friday

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
by far the highest mileage i've heard of and lowest cost possible... damper refurb = £500ish and you have two dampers alone that could make the cost of the car back.... ridiculous bargain that.... you can't loose money on - keep it for 10 years and you'll still make a profit... well played. :mrgreen:

also i'd get the ball joints looked at - they tend to go around the same time as the shocks...

Reaction score
To be honest I dont think it is that big of a bargin as a car. It may be £1900 but it sounds like it needs a few quid spending.

Do get me wrong it is still a good buy but try part exchanging it in a year and see what you get.

However if you look at it in terms of parts then if you wanted to run it for a year or however long you could get more back by stripping it.

The wheels, seats(whats the drivers seat like?) and shockers should fetch quite a bit.

Jay

Reaction score
Congrats mate. I msg'd you on the cliosport forum about it, but glad you finally bought it. Just look after it!

Reaction score
Mega bargain mate, congrats! You could even have a new engine put in from a write off car or something and still have cash to spare :wink: I bet the engine is nicely run in :D