Reaction score
all,

i am new to the trophy world, from previously having a 320bhp scooby this is a bit of a different story.

with regards to modifications what would you all suggest i've had a browse at pictures of mods in this forum,
so the usual:-

Exhaust- where do i go?
decat - yes or no?
panel filters or new induction system?
re-map once all these are complete where do i go.

hope all can help me out!!

and i hope to see you all at some of the meets that are arranged and maybe a track day or 2...

tommy
355/500

Reaction score
Welcome Tommy i went from a Scoobie to Clios. The only mod ive done up to now is the exhaust not decatted just gives it a better sound..

Just saving up now to get my dampers refurbed............

Reaction score
i only bought mine last week, and dampers have been done, just the exhaust is now shot so thinking where to go to get one?

second hand off here or cliosport or go brand new for safety with garentees etc??

thanks for the welcome

Reaction score
Trophy No.
New exhausts from Renault are NOT cheap!

The commons popular choices are:
Scorpion RS192 - one of the quieter choices
Yozzasport - good quality and noise
Janspeed - similar to rs192
Milltek - known to crack a lot
Piper - Dont know much about
Longlife - Dont know much about

Reaction score
Trophy No.
You forgot the mighty Orbisoud aucky!

Tom, Asim (on here) may well be selling his and it looks as though he is very close to you it may be worth checking it out before he removes from car.

Welcome btw.

Reaction score
For exhausts I'd only buy a BTB, but it's expensive, though beautifully made.

A certain Mr Adrain Newey is not only the most famous & possibly most successful F1 car designer of all time, but also a true car enthusiast who does some classic level Motorsport driving. I know for his race prepped Jag E-Type there was only one exhaust manufacturer he considered, BTB, which says it all really, I don't think a better endorsement can be made.

Welcome, & enjoy the car.

Reaction score
I only ever fit the best components to my cars, & have a BTB ... ;)

If i didnt have that, id have a Yozza and some ear mufflers.

Reaction score
There is a difference between a light weight competition system that is not built to take thousands of miles of torturous every day road treatment, & a system built to withstand them. Yes it will be heavier but it will last longer without loss of performance. The one Orb I saw wasn't the best built but of kit I've ever seen, but that is often the case with competition stuff as doesn't have to pass things like TuV standards etc

Incidentally, the BTB doesn't have TuV approval either as it makes to much power & TuV dictates how much power over OEM replacement parts can make.

Not sure about the F1 comment, I know the guy who is parts manager of the F1 team, got a very nice and discreet tour of the whole facility in Enstone, Oxfordshire one evening a couple of years back, got to hold & examin the banned mass damper, & view the next season carbon tub, the trophy room etc As far as I know the exhaust design is dictated to by the chassis designer & how it's going to be packaged & therefore normally built in house to ensure the exacting standards are met. There is also the concerns over the designs being leaked to the press or rival teams hence high levels of secrecy involved. Though could be wrong.

And if you want to see how committed Joe the proprietor of BTB is google Silverstate Classic a once a year road race run on closed public highways that he averaged 160+mph over 90miles or something to that effect in a white Lotus Carlton. Speaking to Joe at length about this revealed some amazing stories about it, ie diff overheating at 150+mph in only 20miles, or being pushed 20ft off the road centre line with cross winds when traveling at 170mph! Truly mental.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Tricky to get of BTB and Orb usually though. They won't make one offs unless you pay silly money iirc.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I always thought that "light competition" exhaust meaning not up to years of use a little bogus to be honest, it's just rubbish, it doesn't follow.
Anyway just pointing out to the op that another member possibly has an excellent exhaust for sale on his doorstep and it's worth checking out.

Reaction score
I always thought that "light competition" exhaust meaning not up to years of use a little bogus to be honest, it's just rubbish, it doesn't follow.
Anyway just pointing out to the op that another member possibly has an excellent exhaust for sale on his doorstep and it's worth checking out.

Nope constructed differently because on a race car the throttle is pretty much wide open at most points and the exhaust gets very hot and the gas speed is high, plus noise levels restraints are different. Also as most circuits have a surface condition way better than any public road they can be made lighter with less robust hangers etc.

On a road car where you often sit at idle, or low throttle openings, and on short journeys meanings temps don't get high enough to burn off moisture, the silencer wading can break down, & you can even get corrosion internally causing silencer boxes to break down. Further more you chuck in sone horrible pot hole ridden roads, winters with salt on them, rain etc they have to be built a little tougher to withstand the constant banging about, extreems of temperature unlikely to ever be see by fair weather race cars, hence why Motorsport exhausts carry very short normally 6 month warranty & specify not for road use, plus of course don't meet noise regulations.

http://www.clio182btbexhausts.co.uk/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Forgot to add, race cars normally have solid mounted engines and therefore next to now flexing of the exhaust system as the engine rocks back & forth etc another concession a road system has to over come.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
BTB sell them direct off their website now though, about £650 with CS discount iirc.
Interesting! Could be something to consider in the future, my scorpion is developing a crack (along with all the others it seems).
Shame I'm not completely taken by the BTB tail pipes.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I guess somebody would come along at some point and suggest the Yozzasport cat back system at some point, so it might as well be me :p. It is a system which is considered by some to be 'too loud', however I have shown to a few people that it is perfectly quiet when using it day to day. At idle it has a deep burble, at motorway cruising speed you can just hear it in the cabin but it is not intrusive and on full throttle it makes ALL the right noises. I have not heard what it sounds like from the outside whilst moving so that might also give the impression to other users that it is a quite vocal system. It has a very good build quality and is very easy to fit in terms of alignment of exits and positions of hangers. No jiggling required!

Having lived with this system for some time, I believe the 'too loud' comments might come from people who have heard the Yozzasport decat systems which make it a fair amount louder than the version which keeps the original cat.

If you would like to acquire one I would suggest calling Fred at BTM, he mentioned to me that he might be packing in the exhaust thing so you might need to be a little cunning. If they ever come up for sale second hand they are often snapped up very quickly so keep your eyes peeled. I payed £459.99 brand new, with a life time warranty.

I recently heard an Orbisoud exhaust at the annual Trophy meet, and I must say that I much prefered the sound of that exhaust to the Yozzasport, it sounds more sophisticated and that particular example looked exquisitely polished (hoolio? ;)). My advice is this, if you want the best and have the cash waiting get the Orb, but if you like something a bit more raucus and you don't mind sounding like an absolute hooligan when you're on flat chat, go for the Yozzasport. The BTB is a little bit more expensive than the Yozzasport, but the build is excellent and it will be more quiet day to day. I believe all of the other brands are in a similar vein to the BTB when it comes to sound volume, but when I researched it I heard of a few having welds rust and cracks apear as has been said above.

It is your choice, but this is my opinion on the whole 182 exhaust market, and I spent some considerable time having a look for mine. I hope you are as happy with what ever you get as I am with mine.

Welcome to the site Tommy!