Reaction score
I'm a bit perplexed by this, within the last month or so, i've been getting loud twanging/donging noises when maneuvering. The other weekend i checked over the complete suspension, to make sure noting was loose. I found no faults, but i tried tightening the front damper assembly top nut inside the engine bay, and noticed that as there's a bit of movement while trying to keep the damper rod still with a suitable allen key type socket, while tightening the nut with a 22mm spanner (ktec top mounts), the same donging noise happened. Rocking this spanner back and forth, i looked underneath to see the spring turning within the cups they locate into. Now i've had this suspension set up since spring last year, and haven't had this before....can anyone shed any light?

Last Spring: Front sachs refurbed, poly lower wishbone and arb bushes, new lower balljoints, ktec top mounts, new tie rod/ends, mark fish springs all round, koni adjustable rear dampers.

Many Thanks!
dave.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi Dave,
Can you be sure it is the spring which has moved and not the spring seat. If you try and over tighten the top mount the spring seat will move, i think this is normal, i've noticed this on mine anyways. it is strange how it has moved in the first place, it may just need re-seating. Is it just one side?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Allo mate, I think i see what you mean, and i think i'll have to remove the damper assembly and have a look. Just seems strange that it's only just come on since the cold weather. Although perhaps the weather is just coincidence to something else that has occured. It's both sides doing it, as i fitted this all myself, we done both sides in the same manner. The alignment has magically gone to cock too, tracking is out and it pulls to the right. I feel a mechanical day coming on! cheers fella.

Reaction score
Undo the top mount bearings and make sure there free, seems to me like top mount is sticking to the cup and not the spring, if the springs are new then the paint on the spring will need to wear and corrode slightly to the top cup as i know that when i fitted the mark fish springs there was very little force on the top cup and i could move the spring very slightly when the vehicles suspension was unloaded on the ramp.

It has cone to light on the clio sport forum that others are having issues with the k-tec top mounts, apparently they need lubricating every so often, i would use something like WD40 then once free use white grease.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?563825-Ktec-coilovers-and-top-mounts-problem

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Useful read that Liam and does sound exactly what is happening to Dave. I'm going to give mine a grease up now, i've had mine on a while now and no issues yet.

Reaction score
cheers liam, i'm going to email ktec in that case and ask for some advise. I did wonder if the bearings were either a) rubbish or b)dry, but assumed they were sealed bearings. That's superb, at last i'm making progress with this, many thanks!

Reaction score
Does anyone know the best method to grease these? Using spray grease from within the engine bay, or remove the damper assembly from the car...I will do this in time, but haven't got the time available at the moment so wondered if the 'within car' method might work for the time being? I've emailed ktec but no reply yet.

cheers.dave.

Reaction score
You can do it from the top, in the engine bay, there's a spherical bearing in the top mount - no need to dismantle (I got an "instruction" with my ktek mounts that clearly stated that these need lubing regularly). I don't use grease but a light oil like 3 in 1.

Last edited:
Reaction score
really? blimey i didn't get anything like that! Just a sheet of paper with fitting instructions! I'll try 3 in 1 in the morning, cheers for that, being light it should get to work in there straight away.

Reaction score
Yep, There were 2 bits of paper with mine, the ( not really needed) instructions and a little slip with the lubing info on it. Wondering if a smear of grease over the bearing after oiling it) might keep the water etc out?? Belt and braces ....

Reaction score
Well i got a reply from ktec who say to use engine oil from within the engine bay as it's more effective than 3 in 1. I think i will try and get grease in there when i take the whole lot off the car. I have issues with the passenger side beyond the top mount. Significant knocking over bumps and grinding when turning right putting lateral load on that wheel, think the cv joint has gone, and i'm gona replace the bearings while i'm at it....then everything is brand new in that department....surely i can't knock and creak then!!!