Monday afternoon outing for #407.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Photos' started by photo_ed, Nov 26, 2018.

1. photo_ed

photo_ed

Trophy No.:
    407/500
    IMG_1705_cropped.jpg

Once again #407 has me beguiled by the depth of talent which is simply unbelievable for the cars years and mileage.

Last week I took my 200 Cup out along the very same stretch of road, a sinuous, twisting b-road, with hairpins, a frankly terrible surface in parts but cutting through some of the most evocative scenery West Yorkshire has to offer. A contouring section through small stone built hamlets, hunkered on the hillside tight to the road, perfect walls to reverberate a rasping exhaust, followed by descents into wooded dells, rising up again traversing moorland plateau, an undulating section with sharp dips and rises, challenging camber changes.

The Trophy is in it's element in this environment, the chassis soaking up every imperfection with an ability akin to some weird sorcery, my 200 Cup is agitated on this road, it's not suited to it at all, the hard track focussed chassis and power delivery stacked high up the rev range make it quite a challenge to achieve good smooth progress, getting to those upper rev reaches are brief forays, tempered by a feeling of slight irresponsibility. The Trophy despite it's age is a revelation, it simply glides over the bumps, stroked along on an engine seemingly optimised for a b-road, it's diminutive size threading between uncompromising dry stone walls with aplomb, it's an event, and one like no other I've experienced in any other vehicle.

Trophy77, Dee.K, andy tims and 3 others like this.
  2. Gordon

Gordon

Couldn't agree more. My FF 200 with Cup suspension can't compare to the Trophy on a twisting B road with irregular surfaces. The Trophy glides over it, whereas the 200 attempts to beat the road into submission, while jarring the drivers teeth out and generally crashing about getting agitated. It's all down to the Trophy's softer spring rates and the Sachs keeping it all under control.

photo_ed likes this.
  3. Titan

Titan

Seems like you have some cracking roads on your doorstep :smile:

Is the standard Clio 200 like this or is it just the Cup version or cars equipped with this suspension?

I think Evo did an article recently and the Clio 200 Cup got great reviews.

4. photo_ed

photo_ed

Trophy No.:
    407/500
    I guess I am quite lucky to have some great roads on the doorstep.

The 200 Cup is a fantastic car, with ultimately greater mechanical grip than the Trophy, it's just more suited to a track or smooth surface - it feels wide and corners flat and uncompromisingly at times, whereas the Trophy really comes into it's own on a badly surfaced narrow b-road, it soaks up the imperfections and takes it all in it's stride. Each is rewarding in it's own way, the revelation for me is that they share a very similar high level of engagement and that Renaultsport DNA, just tailored in a different way, the Trophy for the road, the Cup for the track.

5. photo_ed

photo_ed

Trophy No.:
    407/500
    It's interesting to experience the two isn't it, each do what they do very well indeed, I'm just blown away by revisiting the Trophy and rediscovering the depth of its talents. It really suits the type of roads which bring me personally the most enjoyment from behind the wheel. As soon as things get a bit wider and smooth out though, the 200 Cup is equally special, and round Oulton Park - for example, I do think that the Trophy wouldn't see which way the Cup went.

Gordon likes this.
  6. SharkyUK

SharkyUK

Trophy No.:
    165/500
    Nice write-up and photo, thanks! :smile:

photo_ed likes this.
  7. Ian Highfield

Ian Highfield

Trophy No.:
    031/500
    Glad I'm not the only one who feels my old fillings are in danger when I use the FF 200 with Cup .... still a great car but the Trophy is so much easier over poorer surfaces. I'd be interested to track day both though. Perhaps I'll get an opportunity to do one of the RenaultSport Days in 2019.

Gordon and photo_ed like this.
  8. photo_ed

photo_ed

Trophy No.:
    407/500
    Cheers! :smile:

9. photo_ed

photo_ed

Trophy No.:
    407/500
    I've found my 200 Cup pretty scintillating on track, I have a feeling the Trophy would feel too soft and road focused in standard trim. I am however toying with the idea of a hillclimb driving academy day with the Trophy as I think it's set up and smaller size would lend itself to the particular course I'm keen to have a go at.

10. Ian Highfield

Ian Highfield

Trophy No.:
    031/500
    Hillclimb Academy sounds interesting. I'm close to Prescott. Where were you considering?

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

11. photo_ed

photo_ed

Trophy No.:
    407/500
    I've always wanted to visit Prescott but never made it, looks like a fantastic course - steeped in history too.

We're not far from Harewood here, which I've spectated at for many many years, I've always wanted to have a go (from being a youngster with tuned classic Mini's but no funds to make it a reality!); the driving academy days which they do now sound a great taster and opportunity to learn the course. It's a tight, narrow, technical course and I think the section where it goes between some farm buildings then into a long uphill left hander would be an utter sensation in the Trophy!

12. Ian Highfield

Ian Highfield

Trophy No.:
    031/500
    I lived in Leeds and Harrogate in the 70s and 80s and visited Harewood with a friend who had an RS1600. His Dad was the UK Hillclimb champion I also helped a colleague with a Skoda sillhouette car with a BDA and a Pilbeam single seater. So yes a blast up the now longer course through the Farm would be great; just watch the tricky last corner !

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

13. photo_ed

photo_ed

Trophy No.:
    407/500
    That's fantastic Ian, some great memories there by the sounds of it.

Yes, that final corner just goes on forever, and has quite the reputation!

Ian Highfield likes this.