Mark Fish spring dilemma with track tyres coming

Reaction score
I've been running Mark Fish springs since last Autumn after having my dampers rebuilt, and largely they're fantastic. On track I can't imagine anything better with little to no roll, and the weekend we spent in Wales on decent tarmac was superb. Problem is, the roads around me in Kent and pretty awful. On a smooth road I love them, but on bumpy broken tarmac I'm wincing.

I was tempted to go back to standard springs, but as I've just bought a set of track wheels and soon a set of track tyres (possibly R888s), I don't know how this is going to affect corner roll.

Do I:

1. Go back to standard springs, accepting that I'll have more roll on track with stickier tyres?
2. Go to an alternative spring that isn't as stiff as Mark Fish, but will reduce roll?
3. Man up and just get on with it?
4. Move to another part of the country where there's better roads...

Reaction score
Interesting conundrum!

If you don't use the car as a daily, I'd be tempted to go with Option 3 and just live with it, as the benefits on track and smooth roads are clear. However, if you use the car a lot anyway, then perhaps Option 2 is the right way forward. I run Eibach Sportline springs on mine, which I'm very happy with so far.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. How do you find the Sportlines compared to standard springs? Was there a noticeable drop and change in stiffness? It's not my daily so realistically I could potentially live with it, but I'm just trying to weigh it all up. Cheers!

Reaction score
Option 3. Man up, sportlines still allow for some roll in the corners but you'll potentially loose the extra confidence and precision the MF springs bring on track!

Reaction score
Mine is daily driver, i have his springs, and koni rears, that i have tweaked a little harder than standard, and i love it :cool::up:

so option 3.

Reaction score
Whichever route you choose it's going to be a compromise.

Do you favour outright performance on track, or comfort on the roads.

For me that's the choice, and it would be between Sportlines and MFs.

Best of luck

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. How do you find the Sportlines compared to standard springs? Was there a noticeable drop and change in stiffness? It's not my daily so realistically I could potentially live with it, but I'm just trying to weigh it all up. Cheers!

To be honest, I bought the car with the Sportlines already fitted, so I can't really offer a comparison. However, having owned various cars with coilovers and other damper/spring setups, I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the compromise between ride quality and handling that the Sportlines offer. That said, I've not had a chance to get out on track yet (will do soon) and obviously it's crucial to have a set of fully working dampers in place too.

Reaction score
Where in Kent are you? I'm in whitstable. ...

I'm just outside of Sevenoaks :) There's another T up the road from me in Maidstone too. Thanks for the advice all, looks like option 3 it is! I think the new wheels and tyres will prove it too once I get out on track.