Reaction score
I am :mrgreen: with envy! When are you going to get it fitted? Will have to come and have a look and listen! :D

Reaction score
No, not bought it yet, and if the girlfriend finds out I've allocated it before I even get the cheque...

Reaction score
Have you told her you are getting a bonus yet? If not, then what she doesn't know won't hurt her! :lol:

Reaction score
She told me last night that she had a look on the website and read a few of my posts! Is nowhere safe???!!!

Hi Em, have I told you lately that I love ya?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steve Gunnis said:
She told me last night that she had a look on the website and read a few of my posts! Is nowhere safe???!!!

Hi Em, have I told you lately that I love ya?

oh dear, good while it lasted. :?

Reaction score
Noodle999 said:
Nice :) Pardon my ignorance but what sort of performance increase does the sports cat give?
Probably very little, seeing as the de-cat on it's own only releases a couple of bhp at the top end. A sports cat in combo with a freer flowing exhaust (The Orbisoud system has a sports cat built in), closed induction kit and custom re-map - now you're talking, at least 195 bhp maximum power and a nice fat torque curve. Then there's an inlet manifold port and polish and a nice set of Schrik cams, a lot of money for 30bhp.

Reaction score
Steve, One warning re Schrick cams - the only test I have read suggests that they are quite top end biased, but of course that might have been influenced by the rest of the package. Thier nominal timing figures wouild certainly support that conclusion. However that is why I am keen to go the AWT route for cams as even at 200bhp'ish the Clio still needs a nice fat torque curve - the gearing isn't close enough to compensate.

Any idea howe much weight the Orbisoud system saves?

Reaction score
I won't be getting cams, a modification too far for me. I wasn't intending to do anything to the Trophy, part of the reason I wanted a new car, so I wouldn't fiddle!

Orbisoud is lightest of the lot I think, the single back box and one piece construction helps this.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
George K said:
Steve, One warning re Schrick cams - the only test I have read suggests that they are quite top end biased, but of course that might have been influenced by the rest of the package. Thier nominal timing figures wouild certainly support that conclusion. However that is why I am keen to go the AWT route for cams as even at 200bhp'ish the Clio still needs a nice fat torque curve - the gearing isn't close enough to compensate.

Any idea howe much weight the Orbisoud system saves?

We know you've got an engineering background, but you sure you didn't major in Trophy?

Reaction score
Cue, My wife would probably agree with you, but I only collate what I can glean elsewhere and then try to sanity check it. I have always tried to understand the hows and whys before committing to any mods. Luckily I can usually find someone who will enlighten me. Back in the old days, cams were a major topic for Minis and it was so easy to overkill and end up with less usable performance - also when I worked for Honda we had V-Tec Preludes, and they were so peaky that that it was a real struggle ot keep them on the boil - in fact the auto used to fall off the 'cam' on upshifting.

Having seen lots of data logging I have learnt that in real life you always drop further down the rev range than you would expect, so with the relatively widely spaced ratios of the Clio a good torque curve really is important for the type of event that I do. In their defence, ihad Schrick high torque cams in my Corrado VR6 and they were very good, but the timing was much milder than the details I have obtained for the 182.