Reaction score
Hi all - been looking to invest in a trophy for some time, but due to my age (22) havent really been able to afford the insurance, tax, servicing, etc.

However the time has come to go all out and get me one of these cracking little cars.

About to pick up number 31 tomorrow which is as follows:

2005 registered
9,900 miles
all the usual trophy refinements

for £10,300?

Feel it maybe a little overpriced but was wondering what you guys think?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think thats a pretty good price, there are cheaper around but not with that kind of mileage, obviously make the usual checks but i'd go for it.

Reaction score
Welcome fella, buy it! LOL at all the usual trophy refinements! Have fun, I'm going out to get arseholed now, maybe I'll write some more later? No?

Reaction score
Definately looking forward to picking it up tomorrow. Just noticed in the prics that it seems like it has a BMC air filter - dont really want mods cause I like it standard tbh.

So what should I be looking out for with regards to these cars?! I used to be a member of cliosport when i had a 1.2 MK1. Will post pics of my inbetween car later.

Steve - good luck with getting trashed

Reaction score
Check out the 'faults with your trophy' thread for the most common issues, but there's nothing major to look out for.

I would check the following:
Does the passenger seat rattle? Has it been fixed under warranty already?
Usual check re Oil change etc.
Has it been tracked? tbh, it doesn't make any difference imo as long as the car's been well looked after. If it's been abused though, you should be able to spot from tyre ware/brakes/chips etc.
Don't worry about uneven tickover from cold. Perfectly normal.
Has it got the front splitter? (chin spoiler)
The rest is just general used car stuff, i.e. get underneath, check everything matches up doc's wise, vin wise etc. Check fluid levels, and so on.

Go for it though mate. You won't be disapointed! If it does have a BMC, then I'm presuming it's an induction kit rather than a panel filter. Mixed opions to be found on these, but if you want to go back to a panel filter it will be easy to change.

Definitely wouldn't be enough to put me off!

Keep us updated! :wink:

Reaction score
Good price; good luck! :)

Don't forget to register it on the forum when you pick it up...

O.

Reaction score
Looks like a BMC and possibly an aftermarket exhaust too from the pics? Cant say for sure on the exhaust. Worth checking discs/pads/brake hoses to see if they have been uprated too.
I'm guessing you havent seen the car in the metal yet then - if thats the case and the trader hasnt made you aware of the mods and you're put off slightly by the fact its not standard then there may be a little room for negotiation to cover the cost of putting the standard box and filter back on at least.

Good luck with it all anyway - mind n let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
Wow Luke how did you know the one I was going for? Guess you did the wise and looked on AutoTrader.

Im not too sure about the exhaust to be honest - cant tell between original and aftermarket. One question though - how can i check the discs/pad/hoses without actually having to take the wheel off etc?

Oh and should the trophy have a front splitter?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes it should have a splitter and they are quite expensive to replace so negotiate on that one. that garage is fairly close, where you from?

Reaction score
Yeah i had a quick peek on Autotrader there, Just looked at the rear pic again and i'd say it looks like an aftermarket exhaust - the tail pipes look bigger than the standard ones. Have you had a 172 or 182 previously to compare? Because the easiest way to tell would be the noise - the standard exhaust is pretty quiet and not very sporty - if its changed then it should sound louder and even at tickover there should be a sporty deep burble form it. Other things you could check are look at the tailpipes to see if they have anything written on them, or look under the car and see what the system looks like - the standard one has two slightly squared backboxes with a kind of ridged pattern on them and will generally look a bit crap and possibly rusty. An aftermarket one should look a lot better as its all stainless steel, also the backboxes are likely to be oval in shape and in fact depending on the system there may only be one backbox rather than two.

The best thing to do would be to look on here or google images and get some comparison pics of a standard exhaust and a modified exhaust so you've got an idea of what to check for.

See if you can get some pics of standard brakes vs uprated brakes too.

And yeah the Trophy should have a splitter - which your car does - just check its not damaged or cracked as its pretty pricey to replace.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Unless it's been totally ragged brakes should be fine with less than 10k on them.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Unless it's been totally ragged brakes should be fine with less than 10k on them.

True Hoolio, i was just meaning to check for grooved/drilled discs, braided hoses etc if the airfilter and exhaust have been modded.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cool Hand Luke said:
hoolio said:

True Hoolio, i was just meaning to check for grooved/drilled discs, braided hoses etc if the airfilter and exhaust have been modded.

This is all very nice and polite today apart from the feckin spammers :lol:

Reaction score
Well managed to finally pick up the car yesterday and have been grinning since!

Couldnt talk him down from 10,400 cause its got a ITG CF induction kit and an Orbisound manifold back exhaust!

To be honest though, my insurance would shoot through the roof so im going to remove them in the very near future - but as mentioned, that exhaust makes the most amazing sound! Anyway, thought i would post some pics to whet ur appetite.

21042007014.jpg

21042007013.jpg

21042007015.jpg

Reaction score
Nice one - sounds like everything worked out well and you got a nice car, hope you enjoy it!

Can i have first refusal on the exhaust if you do decide to remove it please?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Lovely, you got a bargain. Luke has beaten me to it but i'll have second dibs on the orb, we could do a swop :lol: