Is it me….

Slow progress

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Is it me….

I’ve just been following a driver doing 40mph in a 60 and then maintained that speeds through a 30 zone!?!??

why do people do that?

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I`d bet that if there was a camera in the 60, they would have braked !.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
A lot of people don’t know speed limits, they just assume them. All roads are 60mph unless told or have pavements and streetlights making them 30mph unless told otherwise. Dual carriageways and Motorways are 70 mph unless told otherwise.
It couldn’t be any simpler, could it?

Slow progress

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
No it couldn’t, the signs with the 30 were clear….as were the rumble strips before it, and the signs in the 300yards running up to it.
The older I get I have more sympathy for that grumpy old men program that used to be on!!!

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
There's a lot of incompetence out there on the roads these days, round my way I saw a distinct decline in standards after the covid lockdowns as people returned to driving, distinctly 'out of practice'.

The other weekend I had to nip over to my Mothers house, about 20 miles away from us, the drive is mainly a mundane trundle through built up Northern valleys, all terraced houses and parked cars, but in the middle there's a spell of NSL B-road which is an engaging and in the right conditions a quick bit of moderately twisty tarmac. On the return leg it comes back down through a sinuous 'gorge' section in a wooded valley alongside a tumbling river. It's the sort of road that I fantasise about blasting down in Autumn time in a Porsche GT3 - all stunning colours and scattering leaves, even in our old 65hp Clio workhorse I can maintain the limit down it, scything through the flowing turns on 185 section winter rubber. However, on this occasion, just before entering the 'gorge' I encounter another vehicle, which proceeds down the 2 mile section at between 17 and 25 mph.... Having only 65hp and oncoming traffic, I've no opportunity to overtake so have to obligingly follow the tedious trundling. Then, after the 'gorge' comes a similarly twisty bit of road only now its flanked by rows of terraced houses, parked cars, entrances to industrial units in crumbling old wooden mills, it's tight and naggetty and understandably a 30 zone. What does our incompetent friend in front do upon entering it? Well, they speed up, haring off at 30 plus. It's not the first time I've witnessed this weird phenomenen here either and I just can't get my head around it..

Utterly bizarre driving. And that's just the start.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I got that feeling again Ed that I was sat with you when the road opened up - great writing.

My daughter is about to do her GCSE’s in June - are you open for online tutoring.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
My journey home from work (and too for that matter) goes through a village with a speed camera as you enter the village after sweeping left. About 100 metres from the camera is a pole with three signs, pedestrians, speed camera and a large 40. A little after that are two posts either side of the road, each with a small 40. A little after that another post with a speed camera sign with a small 40 underneath. After that the actual camera and on the other side of the road another large 40 sign. You can guarantee that just about everyone slows to below 30, ahem.B7EFA945-9BEC-495B-8268-DEAB4E3121C9.png