Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Just called Micheldever tyres who I've always used, and they have no stock of PE2's :( and the manufacture has no idea when they will get more...

As I am in need of 2 fronts, I may try the UniRoyal Rainsport 2 unless anyone else has a better alternative? I would rarther keep the PE2's but that looks like it won't happen anymore.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
spoke to michelin yesterday - good news the replacement for the PE2, the PE3 is launched in 205/45/16 form at the end of Sept '10. so should be available in around 3 months time.... just in time for the winter tyre swap.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Cue said:
spoke to michelin yesterday - good news the replacement for the PE2, the PE3 is launched in 205/45/16 form at the end of Sept '10. so should be available in around 3 months time.... just in time for the winter tyre swap.

Hurrah! Just need to find something for the fronts until then, may try some UniRoyal ones as they are cheaper.

is1

Reaction score
Cue said:

Not sure if PE2s will be replaced by PE3s (or if the PE3 will be just be an addition to the range) but if so, that doesn't do much for the OEM point(!). I know they're both Michelin but the specs are presumably different. If not, why have a new tyre?

Reaction score
PE2s situation is looking grim - Cambridge Performance Tyres have 50 branches and not one of them has any in stock.

And like what happened when Renaultsport enquired, they checked with Michelin and were told that there's no date for any new stock... not looking good.

Will try calling ATS and Camskill again on my lunch break. Looks like a bit of a PE2 drought might be in effect :(

Was offered T1-Rs at £150 for the pair, fitted, but my tyre brand snobbery is saying persevere with the Michelin hunt.

is1

Reaction score
May be stating the obvious but what about "MyTyres" or "Blackcircles" both at around £100 per corner delivered and get them fitted elsewhere.
If there is a supply shortage, that may be different matter but both list them.

is1

Reaction score
Plenty on eBay from the Tyre Depot in Yorks. Just search "Pilot Exalto 16"!

Reaction score
I found this article interesting, especially as I know someone who is a tyre tester for Conti working ay MIRA, as well as traveling the world doing winter tyres in very cold climates etc

He says a lot of these tyre tests in mags are very subjective, and even the objective elements are not what a true tyre tester does. They measure steering response to the millisecond from when steering wheel input is given to when tyres bite and turn car, side wall flex, tread block degregatation, tread block heat distirbution, and above all consistency. these tests may show one tyre is faster over a flying lap, but does it still maintain it after 50laps, or does it go off and start to shed tread, how often can it stop you from 100mph once the tyres are very hot from first stop, do they flat spot, does the carcase loose it shape over a distance meaning wheels go out of balance, the list is endless.

The thing that stood out for me was that in the article it states the tyres were designed for the MX5 and Peugeot RCZ? and the test conducted at Conti's facility, so you would hope that they did well on the MX5 used for the test.

I've had discussions in the past with my friend about tyre and he said Conti's have light weight carcasses to keep the weight and manufacturing cost down, but IHO are rightly one of the market leaders. He says Michelin have a heavier weight contruction meaning more expensive to produce but are also one of the few tyre manufacturers who do extensive production testing on all tyres in all sizes, most/all other tyre manufacturers develop a tyre in a few sizes and then make it in different sizes, hence why a particaulr tyre in a particular size can work really well on one car, but not another. This is what you pay for.

I have found in the past Conti's wear quickly, and that was not even in heavy high power cars, but light weight modest cars.

He has also told me it would be very easy for any tyre manufcaturer to make a truely outstanding tyre that would last a long time but the cost would never be accepted by the public, so they are all designed to a cost.

I have long been a fan of Uniroyal Rainsport tyres, having had them on a few cars, and currently running Rainsport2 on our FTO and find them to be excellent in all conditions in a 197bhp LSD FWD car, and that includes 6 laps of Silverstone GP Circuit. My friend rates them highly and he doesn't mess about with his opionions.

If it was not for the fact I bought some 2nd hand integrale wheels in 16" with 205/45/16 Goodyear Eagle F1's which are new and only needed while I get my 17" wheels refurbished on it, so woul dbe silly not to use them, i would try Uniroyals on my Clio, as I have found the Michelins to be OK in all conditions, but not totally stand out for me.

is1

Reaction score
J333EVO - Thanks for this. Even though I started the thread, I acknowledge the fact that there could even be "suspicion" that two tyres from the Conti stable came first and second in that article since the test was conducted at Conti's facility.

The thrust of my post was that the article together with my subjective (non-expert) experience of the first Rainsport seemed to confirm that this tyre was worth a look when you consider the price too. You seem to back this up with your own experience, so that's reassuring in a way.

Agree about the points re longer term use and how that may impact on performance but that seems to be the nature of reviews of most things - a group of similar products at a point in time. I should also add, I believe the Rainsport will wear quicker than a Michelin.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Looking at prices, the RainSports aren't as cheap as I thought. The local tyre company I have used for years are quoting:

Pirelli Pzero Nero £82.90
Toyo T1-R £84.02
Uniroyal Rainsport £88.46

As alternatives for the PE2's. Thinking of maybe trying the T1-R's, I've heard they're good but was wondering if anyone has any experience on here?

Reaction score
PB.283 said:
One thing to consider is PE2s will add value to the car as they are OE and Renaultsport spend ages choosing tyres.

When I bought me Trophy having PE2s all round was on my list of must haves and I dissmissed cars without them.

Although I then ditched them for Hankook RS2s but that was because I planned on doing a few trackdays and the PE2s sidewalls could not cope.

How did you get on with the RS2 - would they be a good option as a road tyre?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Renaultsport said:
Looking at prices, the RainSports aren't as cheap as I thought. The local tyre company I have used for years are quoting:

Pirelli Pzero Nero £82.90
Toyo T1-R £84.02
Uniroyal Rainsport £88.46

As alternatives for the PE2's. Thinking of maybe trying the T1-R's, I've heard they're good but was wondering if anyone has any experience on here?
i'm running them at the mo - not quite as grippy in the wet, don't last quite as long, ok in the dry though. Road noise is slightly higher also but not much. all in all i'd probably go for them but personally I'd maybe give the rainsports a try as I'd be looking at changing when the PE3's become available...

PS, acording to some marketing blurb i saw a month or two back the pe2 stock have been run down in preperation for the PE3 so one can assume they are to be replaced by them as the original PE's were replaced by the PE2's...

Reaction score
I've got T1-Rs on the front at the moment and are in need of changing. My personal view on them is they're pretty poor. In the wet and dry they don't seem to have the sharp turn in of the michelins, and they certainly don't have the feel. The other downside I've found is that they haven't lasted as long, so cost per mile is probably similar to the michelin.

I've thought of giving the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx a try, but the more I think about it the more I think I'll stick with what I know and try and get some PE2s if I can find somewhere with them.

Reaction score
i feel happy Ive just received 2 pe2s from camskill yesterday hopefully they will last until the pe3s are out

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
glenn said:
i feel happy Ive just received 2 pe2s from camskill yesterday hopefully they will last until the pe3s are out

I decided to do the same in the end. I like the PE2's, I can't seem to fault them and I love the grip they give in the wet and the wear rate isn't too bad either. If I was going to get another tyre to do me until the PE3's are available, I would rarther spend a few quid more to get some PE2s that will last me 10k - 12k miles and then get some PE3's.

is1

Reaction score
Playing devil's advocate, why assume the PE3 will be the best tyre (or indeed even a good tyre for the Clio)?
I know it's French but didn't one of our friends on here mention that their new 200 Cup had Conti Sportcontact 3s (i.e. presumably Renault don't always use Michelin)? I am assuming the Contis were fitted to his car from new of course.

Reaction score
If continental done the sport contact 3 in our size i might of went for that but they don't so i will stick with what was on the car can't really see another alternative tbh

Reaction score
I really struggled to source PE2s, fitted.

The local tyre guy I use contacted all his suppliers and none could provide the tyre. Nationwide Autocentre was about the cheapest I could find them on-line, but when I rang the local depot they were unable to source stock either.

Ended up using Black Circles. A pair of tyres is about £227 balanced and fitted (£5 discount for buying two). They're getting done later this morning.

Going from the difficulties I've had, I'd say Michilin are no longer producing the PE2 and any stock available is what's already been made and already in the country. I expect the PE3 to be a replacement for the PE2 rather than an addition to the line-up.

Hoz.