Reaction score
Hi all,

Having previously used induction kits on all my cars, I ran into a dilemma on recently purchasing a 100% standard Trophy. It is an absolutely fantastic car with a nice raspy exhaust, but doesn't sound like it feels with such a muffled induction sound, something that I would like to address.

I know an induction kit would sound awesome, from past experience with 172's - but would I prefer to keep the car that little bit more standard? Would a performance panel filter release some of that lovely sound whilst retaining a more refined attitude?

I've seen both a K-Tec and ITG replacement filter element 30-50quid respectively, but can't help but wander if I'd be better off doing it "properly" and getting an induction kit. My experience with both Green (106 GTI) and K&N (172) were both good, again not necessarily for power - but for sound. I wouldn't want to lose power, but not looking for the best carbon fibre thing going.

What have people found in their own experience? My pockets are not bottomless so kits like the ITG Maxogen are a step too far imo. as I'm not looking for every extra horse I can find, what I'm after is sound and attitude.

Your thoughts?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
hmmmn, bit of everything here...

Espace V6 airbox with removal of the acoustic valve and some good aftermarket induction pipes would fit the bill I think or the ITG panel filter with removal of the acoustic valve.

Reaction score
Remove foglight and get Pipercross Viper with cold air feed.

Sounds quite good and gives slight gains also.

Reaction score
Cue - whats the benefit of the Espace V6 airbox?

Didn't see that suggestion coming, I must admit :)

Also - looking through the forum for the removal of the acoustic valve - did anyone ever do a HOW TO with pics?

Did you simply remove and block the pipe, or completely "have it out"?

Reaction score
bigrich101 said:
Cue - whats the benefit of the Espace V6 airbox?

Didn't see that suggestion coming, I must admit :)

Also - looking through the forum for the removal of the acoustic valve - did anyone ever do a HOW TO with pics?

Did you simply remove and block the pipe, or completely "have it out"?

The Espace V6 airbox (or the 172 mk1) is just a way of basically having a ITG Maxogen without the £400 price.

Reaction score
Don't waste your money on a replacement filter. I did (ITG). There is no detectable change in performance or sound!

Reaction score
I've got a Pipercross open induction kit on my car and an ITG in the standard airbox that I swap between depending on what I am doing.

On the rollers there's no difference between the 2 but I do like the sound of the Pipercross.

TBH though I doubt that they give much in the way of any power so its all about the noise for me.

:twisted:

Reaction score
I had the Maxogen on mine after getting rid of the paper filter & then an ITG panel.

Sound was emense :D

On the the track is where you see the difference, mid range defo better & pulls it's arse off between 6K & the limiter

Reaction score
I agree with G40steve, i thought the maxogen was great :D

before the maxogen I had a K&N panel filter and there was no noticable difference over the OEM unit in terms of noise or performance

Reaction score
Luke335 said:
Don't waste your money on a replacement filter. I did (ITG). There is no detectable change in performance or sound!
- although if you decide just to replace the panel filter with another panel filter, the ITG etc won't need replacement - only re-oiling. - as previously stated, no gains to be noticed from the ITG replacement panel..

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your responses so far, as its the sound I'm after - it's clear a simple filter change wont provide that.

I was hoping that there might be a happy medium, 90% of the sound and performance of the £390 Maxogen for 50% of the price? :)

Call me a dreamer..... The K&N Gen II kits look reasonable and the Pipercross Venom/Viper kits are at more reachable price points, but look a bit gimmicky by comparison.

Does anyone have any experience with these kits?

I don't fancy losing a fog light for the benefit of a horse or 3, I'd rather keep the car looking standard. Decisions, decisions!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I thought the jury was still out as to the best place to put any CAF, as George mentioned the fog lights never get very dirty so the ram effect there is debatable.

Reaction score
My advice would be to wait for a Maxogen to come up for sale second hand. No reason why it wouldn't be as good as new and probably cost around £250 I guess.

Reaction score
I've been scouting around on the forum for a second hand Maxogen, does anyone know of one for sale?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Luke335 said:
My advice would be to wait for a Maxogen to come up for sale second hand. No reason why it wouldn't be as good as new and probably cost around £250 I guess.

And the rest, Matt recently sold his for £275 in just a day or so, it is a lot of money but for a second hand unit you get a lot of it back.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sir_Dave said:
There was a Maxogen on http://www.cliosport.net for sale a while back, other than that, ive got the Espace V6 airbox and its made a noticeable difference to both sound and power (177bhp on an otherwise standard 172 cup) :)

Is that the one withdrawn from sale because GDI lost some bits removing it? :)
The EspaceV6 unit is supposed to be a pretty good upgrade.

Luke335 said:
No credit crunch here then :D

No, he asked me what i thought he should sell for and TBH i thought in the present climate i quoted too much and was pretty surprised both went so quickly.