Reaction score
Ok ive just got the number of the previous owner of 084 from the dealer in gatwick and had a chat with him on the phone. He does work for renault and has owned the car from new until now. He said he tried to sell it privately with no success but apparently someone rung him up saying they had seen the previous owner of 084 as backrowlegend on this site and asking if it was legit. So i'm not the first..

However the car now appears 100% genuine after having this chat - i'm really glad i made the effort.

Interesting about the 'did they-didn't they' make exactly 500 trophies issue though. Thanks cue and hoolio for your re-assurance, im happy now i know alls well.

On a good note the previous owner Paul said the car has been fantastic and has never needed any work or repairs, it has mainly motorway miles and it's never been near a trackday either which sounds great! :D

Reaction score
Well done Tractor, i'm sure you won't regret it.

I'll keep an eye out, not all that many in sussex/kent according to the location map.

I've never owned a EP3 CTR but have always liked my hondas, have experience with integras, ek9 CTR's and a few pre v-tec hot hatches from them.
The clio in my opinion is a lot more playful than most type r's, really inspires confidence. As has been said before the low down torque is a hugh plus side for the clio for real world driving. The only thing it lacks compared to honda's (maybe not quite so much in the newer CTR's) is the screaming rawness that makes you feel like your in a racing car.

Reaction score
With regard to the idea of someone deliberately making phoney Trophies, I'm not sure it would be economically viable.

Let's say you start with a 182 Cup. You'd have to get all the Trophy bits (inc £2.5k dampers if you were doing a proper job!), plus respray the whole thing, and then it would be worth how much more?

Reaction score
Thanks gman, ill keep my eyes peeled too, ive only seen two trophies other than the one im looking at: one at brands hatch on a trackday the other in france on the way back from le mans 'o6 - not a common sight!

The first thing to hit me on the tet drive was as you say the low down torque, then as the revs rose past 4-5k i was supprised that it was still really pulling! i expected the power to ease off earlier. then nearing the redline it did feel like it was easing a bit so i felt it natural to change up then, rather than chase the limiter.
In contrast the civic feels fairly lifeless below 4-5k, then hit 6k and bang- you can hear the cam change and youre up the road. The most infuriating thing with the ctr is that to get a nice crisp gearchange and stay in vtec you have to snatch a gear just a millisecond from the limiter (or there abouts). From what ive read the 182 is much faster and easier to drive on a give-and-take B road as youre not constantly chasing that 6-8k powerband all the time. Not to mention the chassis :evil:

Sorry to go on!! 8)

Reaction score
Hi Tractor, re the other form of ID, everyone's right about HPI's and fine tooth combing the receipts etc to be sure, but there should also be a white sticker on the drivers side B pillar, at the door shut, saying Renault Trophy and it has the chassis VIN number on it. It doesn't have the cars number though. It should clearly say Trophy though.

As per Cue it seems the guys on the production line seemed to slap a numbered plaque on to a Recaro when they felt like it.

Enjoy it, it sounds like a minter for the money.

Reaction score
Hope it all goes well tomorrow Tractor, sounds like it's a good example, even if it did cause suspicion to start of with.
Do you get up brands hatch much then? If so you'll certainly see my trophy there throughout the year, bit of a regular, although i'm yet to take the trophy on track.
as your picking it up tomorrow we'll probably not see you for a while so...........enjoy the (trophysmall)

Reaction score
Well picked the car up on saturday, what can i say... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well chuffed! Been driving most of the weekend and really enjoying it. The most surprising thing for me initially is how comfortable it is. The recaros are very supportive and i find the driving position very comfortable after the honda. Then i found a couple of roundabouts on the way home and wow, this thing makes mince meat of corners, that would have the ctr understeering into the hedge - awesome!
I could go on but ill be here all day :)

The car checked out ok, i checked the engine no and chassis nos against the paperwork and both stickers on the drivers door shut tallied up aswell, so all clear. Thanks for all of your help and advise sorting this lot out, it's great im finally part of the club!

Ill update once ive got to grips even more 8)

gman - I tend to wander up to brands on summer evenings when there are trackdays on, just to see how many cars bin-it into paddock!! plus i go on the odd trackday myself. ill keep an eye for you!

Reaction score
Hi Tractor. Bought 415 just last week, and I am in Sevenoaks, so that now makes two Trophies in west Kent. Have hardly driven my yet though due to the baldness of the front tyres - hope to get them re-shod after finally tracking down some Exaltos Pilots at Camskill. Will get them fitted bu renKnow of Kemsing and let you know how I get on, as I will go to them for servicing when the time comes. I too usually visit Brands several times a year, taking my young sons to watch the Mighty Minis (just sold my 97 Rover Cooper yesterday). Will make a point of attending the Clio series races this year too

Reaction score
Hello mate, Ive seen your posts and was goin to give you a heads-up last week, but i thought i'd wait until i was sure i was buying 084. No doubt well bump into each other at some point!

I was checking out ren-know's website the other day too and it looks quite promising. It would be rude not to give them a go for some servicing work, seeing that they are on our doorstep. I might have a trundle down there soon and get some prices etc. just need to get the car taxed first.

Let me know how you get on. I saw 415 advertised and was tempted myself, but i wasnt in the right position to buy just then. It looked like a really good one :D

Reaction score
WIll do. Although I have not done more than 20 miles in 415, I am pleased with the deal I got from SAM415. I am also glad that I waited until now to buy a Trophy, having got my one for £6900 - it has a full service history, all its receipts (and tax discs!) and has done just 19,500 miles! I was also in touch with the owner of 99, who is in East Grinstead. His car was £400 cheaper, but had 32,000 miles on the clock (still not a lot I readily admit for a three-year-old car). It has since been sold to someone in the northwest I believe. I now have a red Trophy to match my red 03 plate WRX PPP Impreza!

Reaction score
yes you definatly did better than me, mine was slightly more expensive and slightly more miles. The trouble with trophies is that unless you want to travel miles, youre limited to only one or two for sale in your area.

I have some small jobs need doing - exhaust rattle (Perished Mounts i think), exhaust whistle (leaky joint i think) and i want to swap my dash panel inserts which have been sprayed capsicum red back to standard silver, but im really looking forwards to tinkering to bring the car back to its former glory!

Ive just been for a run to do the weekly food shop in the T in the pouring rain and the grip that the car has in the corners is amazing! although if youre used to the scoob it probably wont be anything new :)

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear your changing the dash inserts, i've seen a few trophy's with this and i think it looks ghastly, can't believe some think it looks good!!

Reaction score
Well the inserts on mine have been professionally sprayed and look very good, but i agree and prefer the subtle look of the silver. It matches the dials, door handles and the seatbelts for one thing. Ill post up some pictures soon and see if anybody wants to swap as there are some that like the red.

Reaction score
Yes, the WRX does handle supremely well - I've also had the PPP suspension fitted too. And the acceleration is legendary, even with only a five-speed box fitted (I have the short-throw one in mine). This is my third Impreza T, and won't be trading up for the latest model anytime soon, even though the new WRXS appears to be the WRX that Subaru should have released in the first place back in 07! In respect to handling, the Trophy is going to have to go a long way to beat the thrill of blasting around the country lanes in west Kent in my old Rover Cooper, shod with 13-inch tyres. That thing really grips the road, and being so low to the ground it feels like you are doing 90 mph. Always enjoyed getting as close to the limit as I dared when coming off the M25 at junction 5 onto the A21 heading south. Certainly surprised a few hot hatches around there, even if they then left me floundering in their wake once on the straight stuff. If only Rover had equipped the Cooper with a five-speed box as standard - oh, and rustproofed it too!

Reaction score
Yes JT at RSUK has confirmed that they have no records of which car number matches which VIN plate #-o

but they do have records of the Trophy VIN munbers .

i know of at least 1 UK car with a swiss plaque on....mine

Reaction score
son of solo said:
Yes JT at RSUK has confirmed that they have no records of which car number matches which VIN plate #-o

but they do have records of the Trophy VIN munbers .

i know of at least 1 UK car with a swiss plaque on....mine

How do you know its a swiss plaque? :eek: :?