Reaction score
From crisshark on Renaultsport:

Your Trophy is a "better" car then a new 197......? u must be kidding....
It maybe is a 0.5 sec faster to 60 but that does not make it a better car.....
The 197 is bigger, safer, has better handling, brakes, more comfort, looks better, it's NEW, and only 0.5 sec slower than yours Trophy..... so............ !

Discuss please. :lol:

Reaction score
The 197 is bigger, heavier,less economical, slower by half a second, has crap light steering, needs more power :D

Cant comment on the handling cos my dealer insisted on a test drive down the bypass in a straight line :?

Brakes are a good attraction but then i guess the extra 150 kg needs slowing down some how :D

Reaction score
A Toyota Corolla is more comfortable than a Trophy - does that make it better too?

Here is what I say: let the public decide. Take the % depreciation of both cars for the same 4 months after launch. Which one has retained the highest %? That is the most desirable car, and since buyers want the 'best' would imply the winner :)

O.

Reaction score
The play days buttons for the climate control put me off within 2 secs of sitting in the 197!!

Test drive was good but I then sat in my 172ff and realised mine was better!!

0-100 time on 197 is 19secs to! Shame had the potential to be great and nice exhaust.

Cant wait to get my Trophy!!

Reaction score
a friend who has a 172 mk1 took one out from a dealer BY HIMSELF and said it was noticeably slower than his in a straight line, more clumsy round corners and the brakes were not great and had no feel.

That ticks a few off of his list. Oh and a trophy isn't exactly old :D

Reaction score
I have to say having driven a 197 on a Renaultsport track day, I found it very quick and held the track incredibly well :?

On the downside, as discussed, the steering was just too light, no way as good as the Trophy which was so much more all round fun :D :D :D

It was a nice car but not yet the better car...........we must wait for the cup and 197 Trophy for that....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Day

Reaction score
You would have to be insane to buy a new 197 with the 225 costing about the same.

Reaction score
Nice comments Guys, I do love some nice unbiased feedback, Julz - How did you know that was me? I am a bit rude on Renaultsport, I like the site but it is overpopulated with complete tools unfortunately.

Completely putting aside the fact that the Trophy is quicker in every way that one car can be quicker than another, in gear, track time, quarter mile, etc. It is the pinnacle of hot hatch design, the 197 is great but not even able to hold off it's current rivals that are nowhere near as good as the Trophy.

What a complete pilloc, better brakes? I wonder which would stop quicker in a brake test? No actually I don't wonder because i know.

Bigger? Yes, exactly, you complete penis, that's the problem.

Safer? ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR???? If I wanted safe I'd buy an APC or a Volvo XC90 (same thing). Why is it whenever someone knows that a new car is not as good as it's predecessor they bring up the Euro NCAP rating? Like that had any influence at all on their decision, and besides the Trophy being lighter, nimbler, less tail-happy and having better suspension would mean you could avoid accidents that you couldn't in a 197.

Better handling? Oh dear.

Looks better? Erm, if the Kangoo, Modus and Espace are more your cup of tea, yes.

).5 secs slower to 60? Try 0.8 secs (Trophy - 6.3, 197 - 7.1, please don't believe all the marketing figures you tool) and in this test that's a world of difference, by the time you get to 100 it's over 2 seconds behind, that's quite a significant difference to a total lap time let alone the difference by the end of the start straight! And it's 1.3 seconds slower from 30-70, a very good test of a car's power/weight and gearing.

So in other words, Fuck off you ignorant muppet! Right I'm taking the dogs for a walk to calm down.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
^^^^^^Mmmm i wonder how i knew. Always good to cut loose occasionally even if it does feel a little like baiting defencless kittens :)

Reaction score
Feel much better now, got trashed by a puke green M3 convertible on the way home even withit's rubbish driver, going to get a 197 now so at least they won't try it on, when I'm just legitimately trying to overtake on the dual carriageway.