Good performance upgrade advice but nothing major

Reaction score
Just a few questions about what performance wise upgrades people are using?

Intake?
exhaust?
Remap? (Personally not to bothered about getting)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Personally.
Intake - ITG Maxogen (nice sound)
Exhaust - Orbisoud (ditto)
Remap - An old Angelworks flash remap (probably not worth the money I paid at the time)

Reaction score
An alternative take (not necessarily my personal view):

Intake - K-tec Racing induction kit

Exhaust - many options to choose from, and covered a billion times or more here and on CS.net

Map - Buy an RS Tuner

Reaction score
Intake is just placebo effect
Exhaust, lost count how many posts you have made asking which one to get
Remap, would not bother if you are only changing the intake and exhaust

Reaction score
I see them rs tuners for sale on cliosport daily, are they worth it? I've had remapped turbo cars in the past but had endless problem so I don't want to start that again with my little trophy because so far it's been faultless

Reaction score
If you do not enjoy the stupid kick you get at around 4k rpm, then rstunner will sort that out, I would not bother paying for a live map unless you are changing cams or something like that

Reaction score
Just enjoy it. Unless your names ragnotti, they are too fast for the ability of 99% of owners on a backroad anyway.:cool:

if you want to go faster down the dual carriage way.. Buy something with a turbo and chip it.

Reaction score
Ahh ok thanks mike it does have a flat spot, no turbo cars are more hassle when you start messing with them

Reaction score
Ok, so anything short of an RS2 is only going to make a small difference for the money but as long as you are aware of that then don't be put off. Personally I found changing the exhaust made very little difference to the cars performance but it just sounded so anonymous when it was standard unless you are really working the engine. It's more of a feel good mod!
The itg maxogen I fitted to mine really felt like it improved the midrange and also sounded better but others disagree. Matched manifolds made a small improvement. It all ads up to a better driving experience but at a considerable cost.
In some ways the remap was the least noticeable but also the one thing I wouldn't be without. I always felt there was an awkward gap where overtaking slow traffic if you were in second you would easily hit the limiter but in third you had to wait for the car to get going. With a remap and raised rev limit you wouldn't hit the limiter in second and also third was filled out a bit lower in the revs so either option was improved. It never really felt any more powerful but it was more useful.
Other good mods are a bit of negative camber on the front and an anti roll bar on the rear. They are cheap and effective.

Reaction score
My T has had the RStuner remap on it since I bought it, the Rev range sure is smoother around the 5k area but I wonder if I could pick someone's brain:.......

I swear the engines running too rich as there's thick black soot in the exhaust tips, that builds up in a few days again after cleaning it off. Also, it feels as tho approaching 6.5k-7k that the power dwindles off a little. I've never hit the Rev limiter as it doesn't seem beneficial to rev that high.

I can't help but feel this isn't right, any ideas from people more knowledgable than I? Should I get it dyno 'd to check?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
You could take your car somewhere like Surrey Rolling Road who are a well-respected, independent business. There you will get advice as well as key print outs including AFR (air/fuel ratio) and power/torque curves. The drop-off at high revs is expected and you'll see that in the shape of the curves. For whatever it costs (less than £50) it'll give you peace of mind.

Not sure about the exhaust deposits, I assume you're running a standard cat?

Reaction score
I see them rs tuners for sale on cliosport daily, are they worth it? I've had remapped turbo cars in the past but had endless problem so I don't want to start that again with my little trophy because so far it's been faultless

My advice would be spend an hour doing proper research on the RS Tuner. I think what you may find is that they offer a number of benefits - improved cold start, smoother power delivery, an over-run map (pops and bangs), increased rev limit, better fuel economy, the ability to read various fault codes etc.

I've never looked into it so I could have made some of those up, but what I do know is that the hardware always seems to be in demand so you could buy a device, purchase the map and install it, then sell the hardware. Minimal outlay.

Cliosport.net has a vast array of threads about the RS Tuner device and maps so take some time to browse through them, and for what it's worth I don't think tuning an N/A engine like the F4R can be compared to a blown engine - it's so much cheaper and easier to extract performance when there's a turbo in the equation.

Reaction score
You could take your car somewhere like Surrey Rolling Road who are a well-respected, independent business. There you will get advice as well as key print outs including AFR (air/fuel ratio) and power/torque curves. The drop-off at high revs is expected and you'll see that in the shape of the curves. For whatever it costs (less than £50) it'll give you peace of mind.

Not sure about the exhaust deposits, I assume you're running a standard cat?

Thanks Claude, I'll do that.

Standard cat yeah. Lambda had to be replaced a few months back cos it was so clogged so wondering if it's the remap or cat? No one else seems to have reported issues.....seems to run ok tho!

Reaction score
Thanks Claude, I'll do that.

Standard cat yeah. Lambda had to be replaced a few months back cos it was so clogged so wondering if it's the remap or cat? No one else seems to have reported issues.....seems to run ok tho!
Could be one, the other, both, or neither! Just out of interest, does it have an RS Tuner map, or something more specific to your car?

Reaction score
I've done a before and after dyno test with the orbisoud and maxogen and they were worth 8 bhp. Great mods.

I'd now go for:
ITG panel filter (I could never hear the maxogen over the orb)!
BTB exhaust
Rs tuning custom remap