Reaction score
Hi guys and gals!

Got my car through its first mot today, passed with flying colours! Also had a full service, so the car feels like new now.

I was talking to the mechanic, saying i wanted to put a sport manafold and a bigger exhaust on it, and his words where, and i quote! ''Its already got a full match on it''

Now I am thinking, is this the standed manafold for renault sports, or has it been done before i got the car.. Will put a pic on in the morning to see if anyone can tell me! :D

Also i was in the asda car park yesterday, in burnley, and i found a parking space right next to a racing blue 182 with the white stripes! The two cars looked awsome parked there! I really like them racing blue ones, but like my black one too.. Cant decide which i prefare!! Was the owner of that blue 182 one of you guys?! Small world!!

Reaction score
Racing Blue owner won't be on here, unfortunately, you may have to look on Cliosport.

Mechanic sounds like a typical monkey, how would he know whether your inlet manifold had been 'matched' as he put it without taking it off and examining the ports with a vernier screw gauge? Idjut.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
lol as per steve, the only way you can tell if they have been matched is by removing them and looking in the actual thing... I very very much doubt he did this, so will be talking through his anus.

Reaction score
As per above, tho I wouldn't say monkey, genetically too close to us :) . He probably meant the RS manifold. You would need to take it off (a fairly long job) and inspect it to tell if they had been ground out, tho you can tell with the naked eye if it's anything like the trophy units.

Reaction score
All 172's/182's have the RS manifold. Modified slightly on the 182 but it's always looked the same. The only difference with the Trophy is they didn't put the plastic cover over it. They weren't specially matched. If they were the many owners who have had theirs matched by Ben at Angelworks wouldn't have seen any performance gain, which they have.

I've just had a thought, are you talking about the exhaust manifold? If so I don't know of anyone that has fitted an after-market one, it's never even mentioned on RS sites.

Reaction score
Unless you've got one of the 182's with the Trophy RS manifold on? Still won't make a blind bit of difference

It has a huge RS cast into the front of it - think they are ever so slightly better than a normal F4R manifold

To the typical spanner monkey it could be confusing :p

Reaction score
DaveTrophy said:
Unless you've got one of the 182's with the Trophy RS manifold on? Still won't make a blind bit of difference

It has a huge RS cast into the front of it - think they are ever so slightly better than a normal F4R manifold

Eh! The Trophy does not have a different manifold to a 182.

unless your taking the piss, in which case it's large, size of a house probably

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
no it doesn't. It's a standard 182 engine, no different than a normal 182. Matching the exhaust manifold wouldn't make a blind bit of difference either as the exhaust gas flow is restricted at the cat stage anyway (bottle neck).

Reaction score
The exhaust manifold was one of the changes from the 172 to the 182 which partly accounted for some of the extra horsepower they managed to extract - and its actually quite a nice piece of work if you have a nosey the next time you've got the bonnet up (which is surprising) and i wouldnt think changing it would make much difference to be honest.

Reaction score
Jianul said:
DaveTrophy said:

Eh! The Trophy does not have a different manifold to a 182.

unless your taking the pigs, in which case it's large, size of a house probably

Hmm possibly got wires crossed here - talking about manifold matching, I'm assuming he means the inlet manifold? in which case the Trophy has a ever so slightly different manifold to a 182.

They are supposed to be marginally biggr ports than the normal 182 manifold

Reaction score
DaveTrophy said:
They are supposed to be marginally biggr ports than the normal 182 manifold

Sorry to be a pedant here, but if anything the trophy ports seem to need more work than slightly older 182's :?: Perhaps why they are a little down on power on RR's?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
there's no difference in a Trophy engine compared to a normal or cup 182. The car is a 182 cup with different suspension, wheels, spoiler and seats that's all.

Reaction score
Quite, and let that be the end of it. We dispelled the nonsense about the Trophy engines being a 'handpicked' selection of F4R's a long time ago! They were quite literally the last 550 to come off the line (apart from a few that would have gone to spares).

The only difference between the Trophy manifold and standard/Cup 182 manifold is the lack of plastic cover on top of it.

Reaction score
No you're not missing anything really, all 182's come with the RS manifold, not sure about all 172's. I wish i'd taken some photo's but the work done by ben (manifold match) grinds off a lot of extra material that you can actually see when you place the gasket (and the trophy has a lot!) over it thus maximising the airflow, thus the gains. :)

Bit of a simplistic explanation but it does the job.

Reaction score
Jianul said:
No you're not missing anything really, all 182's come with the RS manifold, not sure about all 172's. I wish i'd taken some photo's but the work done by ben (manifold match) grinds off a lot of extra material that you can actually see when you place the gasket (and the trophy has a lot!) over it thus maximising the airflow, thus the gains. :)

Bit of a simplistic explanation but it does the job.

Ok, thanks

I just wasn't aware that the RS manifold came on ALL 182's - that was the bit I was missing

Reaction score
I think I remember a post by BenR saying that on the 182's he's worked on, he has seen a variety of RS and non RS inlet manifolds, however all the Trophy's he has worked on have the fabled RS manifold...

Reaction score
OliS said:
I think I remember a post by BenR saying that on the 182's he's worked on, he has seen a variety of RS and non RS inlet manifolds, however all the Trophy's he has worked on have the fabled RS manifold...

Thats what I was referring to but I'm not here to start an argument

Reaction score
DaveTrophy said:
Thats what I was referring to but I'm not here to start an argument

Are you saying that I am! :wink:

I'm not trying to start an argument either, I'm not trying to say that the RS unit makes the Trophy any better, but it's an interesting point all the same...