Getting my Trophy back on the Road

Reaction score
Trophy No.
IMG_0425.JPG For some reason I lost my enthusiasm with cars over the last couple of years , probably a result of moving to the SW and spending all the time concentrating my time and money on renovating a house.

As a result I SORN'd my Trophy while I decided what to do with it. I've now decided to get it back on the road, so dropped it off and Dan's place (https://www.facebook.com/SjmAutomotiveLtd/) to have a major service, Cam belt change, MOT and any other work that would be worth wile doing.

Glad to see it will have a fried there while it undergoes this work.

Reaction score
Its in safe hands and I hope once it's serviced and running you get your enthusiasm back for cars.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks!

Initial intent has been to prep it fore sale, however since getting back into reading this forum I've started thinking about investing in the car.

I still have the original Sachs Dampers in my shed (along with its interior as it currently has FF) and realised that I've never driver the car as it was designed, so it could be fun to get the Suspension back to its original spec and try the true Trophy experience.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It's in great hands with Dan and getting it back up to standard will be one way of getting your mojo back and if that doesn't happen then you will maximise it's value.
Why have you never driven it as it was created by the way?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
When I bought it off the last owner I asked him to MOT it pre sale as there was not long left and the front dampers looked like they where leaking. It wound up failing its MOT so had to be put onto Cup items to get it through, which it is still on.

I've been reading up on here about how t go about refurbishing Sachs, would be nice to get the proper rears and springs as well.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So the rear dampers were changed as well? It's unlikely that the rear springs are different as 182 and Trophy use the same item, probably best to ask Dan. Rik will be the go to to get the fronts sorted, anything else will be here somewhere, or just ask.

Reaction score
I think the rear springs are the 182 cup.....they should have a red and white stripe on them

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks both for the advice really useful! I'll have a chat with Dan.

I've also dug out a photos I took a while back when the car was up on a ramp, and it appears it is on the right springs (as far as the rear is concerned) but on Koni dampers.

I'll looking at this pictures again I think I'll also ask for the exhaust mounts to be replaced. and what can be done about securing / replacing the heat shield.

Trophy Springs.JPG

Ex 1.JPG

Ex 2.JPG

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Uh oh. Just had Dan on the phone. May have bottom end failure, could well mean a new engine.

This could be expensive, ah yes disks also need replacing.

.....bugger.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yep this is definitely going to be pricey.

For Dan:

Hi Ian, list is as follows;

2x front tyres below legal limit
Front wipers perished
Rear wiper blade perished
NSR spring broken
Front discs pitted
Rear discs rusty over 50% of surface
Big end knock on engine (as discussed)
Rear exhaust hangers near enough missing
Middle hanger stretched and deteriorated
Cat to manifold joint defective
OSF ball joint worn
NSF wishbone bushes have deteriorated
Steering rack bushes have slight play

With all that I'm thinking I'll put new Rubber all round, refurbish the alloys and refurbish the Sachs dampers and get them back on as well.

In for a penny in for a pound I suppose.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Uh oh. Just had Dan on the phone. May have bottom end failure, could well mean a new engine.

This could be expensive, ah yes disks also need replacing.

.....bugger.
Sorry to hear that mate :( I did notice Dan asking to see if there are any good / solid 182 engines available this morning! My only advice would be to avoid engine modifications... just stick to standard! Good luck, I hope it works out favourably for you and your wallet.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ah yes that will be for me :-( wonder if an engine change will devalue the car?

Current cost is calculated at £2,657.00

I think I'll replace the rear tyres at the same time so that will be another £200. LAso I need to speak to BG Motorsport about the dampers