G

In my quest to create a 100% as-new Trophy, I would like to replace the silver-grey insert on the gear knob, as it's slightly scratched from a ring. My question is can you just replace the insert or do you have to replace the whole knob? I'm assuming the Trophy gear knob and insert is the same as any other 182? I don't suppose anyone has the part numbers?

is1

Reaction score
Ever so slightly off topic, but isn't the gear knob awful? Both the material and the shape. They just took the cheapest one from the parts bin!
The other irony of it is that despite Renault's suspect build reputation, you need to nuke the gearknob to replace it.

I went for a brushed silver one which matches the pedals and the door pulls and it looks more OEM than the original! It is a simple brushed metal ball with the gear pattern on top. Absolutely superb. It has genuinely improved the driving experience. A ball gearknob is so much more tactile. I found I was instinctively grabbing the standard one with my finger tips whereas you just cup the ball shaped one with the palm of your hand and it feels more direct. I think this is because the standard one has a rubber coating that has a little bit of "give" and just doesn't feel right.

It's a shame for such a focused car to fall down a key point of interaction between car and driver.

is1

Reaction score
eljeffo64 said:
Totally agree - where did you source your replacement from?

Mine's a Richbrook one. Because the logo is so discreetly etched into the gearknob, you wouldn't think it was an aftermarket one. I am not really a customiser but just had to do this for reasons explained above.
In future, if I were to sell and it mattered that much to the buyer, I'd buy them a replacement original(!)
Mine had only done 15,600 miles and was already losing the colour pigment so I imagine after a while they look awful.

Reaction score
I've got the richbrook one too because the original was so scratched on the top. If I'd have known you could just buy the inserts I'd have possibly gone for that, although knowing what some of Renault prices are like I'm sure they like to make a healthy profit on them. The richbrook is definately a decent alternative, it blends in very nicely with the interior.

is1

Reaction score
Berty said:
I've got the richbrook one too because the original was so scratched on the top. If I'd have known you could just buy the inserts I'd have possibly gone for that, although knowing what some of Renault prices are like I'm sure they like to make a healthy profit on them. The richbrook is definately a decent alternative, it blends in very nicely with the interior.

Trust me, you did the right thing Berty. The point is, it is not just that the ball is much better to use and complements the interior better but the "original" one will just look worse and worse over time. The brushed metal ones look the same 5 years later as they do on day one.

How did you find removing the original? I had a hell of a job as I did not want to exert hardly any pressure on the stick/mechanism. I started by trying to heat it (following an earlier thread) but I wasn't even getting close to shifting it and the heat affected the original knob so cutting it was by far the safest method to reveal the metal stick.
Ridiculous that they don't just screw off like most.

Reaction score
I just took a hacksaw to it, and an hour or so later and with only two cuts to my fingers the old gearknob was gone. I'm still finding very small pieces of plastic in the carpet though, I should have thought ahead and put some newspaper down to catch the mess. What I've found quite good with the richbrook is that is doesn't conduct heat as much as other metal gear knobs I've used so doesn't seem to burn quite so much on a hot day.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Berty said:
What I've found quite good with the richbrook is that is doesn't conduct heat as much as other metal gear knobs I've used so doesn't seem to burn quite so much on a hot day.

hmm, I have been toying with doing this for a while as my gear knob looks horrible. My concern was the metal gear knob would be too cold in winter. Anyone got experience of this? Well, I know how stupid this sounds.

Did you guys go for the 5 speed slanted, richbrook?

G

Okay, time to look thick: it was a bit dark in the garage when I noticed the 'scratches' and it turns out the marks were just a little bit of dirt. Haha! Oh well, saves me buying a new insert! Thanks for the responses though, guys.

Reaction score
Gazza said:
Berty said:
What I've found quite good with the richbrook is that is doesn't conduct heat as much as other metal gear knobs I've used so doesn't seem to burn quite so much on a hot day.

hmm, I have been toying with doing this for a while as my gear knob looks horrible. My concern was the metal gear knob would be too cold in winter. Anyone got experience of this? Well, I know how stupid this sounds.

Did you guys go for the 5 speed slanted, richbrook?

It's the 5 speed slanted I've got, I think in the aluminium colour. It's also not too bad at freezing the hand in the middle of winter, definately bearable without gloves. I had a 206 gti before the trophy and that gear knob was a nightmare in winter with the cold or summer with the heat, it was too good a conductor of heat.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Got mine ordered... Not that keen on the removal. Hacksawing the old one off doesnt sound like much fun. You got any tips? Where to saw through?

is1

Reaction score
No easy way to do it. Remove the gear pattern insert with a flat blade screwdriver. The outer part of the gearknob is a soft rubber covering over a hard plastic "core" which is glued/bonded to the metal stick (I have heard it can be twisted off but bear in mind the force required for this will damage to knob anyway so cutting is much lighter on the mechanism).

Cut off the outer rubber covering and cut into the plastic core. By this point, you will realise why there are no tips as such because you simply need to cut as close to the stick as possible and use some pliers to try and take the plastic core apart. Once a few pieces are cut out, it should twist off and you will see the bonding glue that they used. A complete JOKE.

There will be plastic filings from the plastic core EVERYWHERE so you may want to lay something down. A Dyson vacuum cleaner does the trick nicely as they are quite powerful.
The Richbrook feels like it was made for the Clio, as it drops on perfectly and there is an integrated screw which is tightened using a mini Allen key provided. Once tidied up, it looks fantastic and blends with the door pulls and the pedals and looks like it has always been there.
The gearchange goes from a chore to a pleasure.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah thanks is1!

Hopefully it will arrive in time for me to fit it over the weekend :D

Reaction score
Hi Graham

See that you arnt to keen on haxsawing the old knob of as you have got a replacment on order, Give me a shoot, i use this tool at work wich has got my OE part of mine b4 a minute job, alot easyer and quicker than haxsawing the old 1 off,
Drop me a bell mate, i can pop down 1 lunch tym or meet you aftr wk and yank your old 1 off if you like.

I once fitted a richbrook slant top on 1 of mine, yes they do wear alot better, aint to cold or but may bs get a bit hot only on very very hot days. What you going for then fella.

As said im mre than willing to pop down 1 lunch tym or meet you after wk to pull old 1 off, my number if you like 07525853282

James

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just fitted my Richbrook to my Tophy with the help of James and a rubber belt tool type thing. Was on there pretty tight and took a little force but came off eventually. See what people meant about the amount of glue, boy there was a lot. Think an oil filter removal tool is pretty similar and would be a good option for others.

the Richbrook feels great and looks good too, although a little smaller than I expected.