Reaction score
Can anyone help.... Since I had my cambelt and lower arms inc ball joints. Everything is fine apart from the nxt day when I went to work, I was reversing and I could hear this creaking noise?! only happens when reversing never moving forward!?

I put it down to anti roll bar making the noise.... but I think it could be more than that. I have asked Birchdown who did it all..... by all means I could take it back down to them, but its an extra 2.5hrs. So was going to see if anyone had any ideas 1st.

Rich

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I would be interested in the cause of this as I too have a creaking noise from the front since having the cambelt, aux belt and lower arms with ball joints done. Again I get it when reversing at low speeds.

I keep meaning to call the garage who fitted it to see if they have heard of it before. It not a loud sound but enough that I hear it and annoys me :)

Reaction score
:lol: twins!!! I have just been for a run out in the car trying reversing in a straight line, turning while reversing.... seems to do it more when your reversing left. Sounds really the steering rack under strain or as mentioned the anti roll bar creaking....

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Strange we both have it after the same work done on the car. I started to notice mine when I reverse (left hand down) into my car park space at the flat. If you come across anything then it would be interesting to hear!

I did some reversing yesterday in straight lines (trying to find a unit in an industrial estate) and it didn't seem to do it...

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Just popped to the shops in my lunch and reversed out the space to hear a knocking noise from the NS front wheel. Could the sound we are hearing the top mounts creaking in the way Renault ones like to creak??

Reaction score
It is a very strange thing this...... I put it down to new ball joints and lower arms, but I'm really unsure

Reaction score
I get it exactly like described, I was meaning to post on here questionning what it could be. The only difference is the lower ball join was changed 2 years ago while still under warranty, and I've not had any other major work. It's definately more prominent when reversing, although I can't say I've noticed it more on one side. I think it does also do it going forwards at slow speeds, such as manouvering ready to reverse into a space.

I don't know how anti-roll bars work on the front, but my mate had a RARB fitted to his astra vxr, that used to cause lots of creaking when it needed regreasing, could this be all that is needed to stop the creaking on the trophy ?

Reaction score
Have you guys checked that the outer clamp on the cv boot isn't broken? I think this was the cause of a strange noise I was getting, when on lock..

Reaction score
Trophy No.
quik5i1ver said:
Have you guys checked that the outer clamp on the cv boot isn't broken? I think this was the cause of a strange noise I was getting, when on lock..

So it was just the retaining strap that had broken then?

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:

I've not no. I will take a look when I get the chance. :)

Reaction score
hoolio said:
quik5i1ver said:

So it was just the retaining strap that had broken then?

indeed it was (sorry, I should have updated you!).. and i think that the sound i was hearing (pre Orb fitment!) was the end(s) of the strap moving across the teeth on the hub? (not sure what the serrated section is?)

Took the car out on Friday for the first time in around 3 weeks and all seemed to be ok 8)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
^ maybe the teeth on the end of the drive shaft that slots into the hub flange?

Reaction score
I will have a look at this at the weekend..... So what Am I looking for lol :lol:

Anyone got a pic?

Reaction score
Anyone sorted their steerig creaking noises? Mine became significantly worse today - I get a sort of creaking when turning the wheel at low to moderate speeds- pretty concerned.. Quite confused too, on the grounds that nothing was picked up at the service last month..

Reaction score
Well I checked them recently and could not detect any movement in them at all.. Maybe I should check again..

Reaction score
Trophy No.
No namby pambying around get it up on some stands and give the wheel a bloody good shake.
TBH I had put the creaks you guys have down to wear on componants that when asked to do something different it exposes that wear with the noise but some have said they are getting with new ball joints :? though my theory could still hold water.

Reaction score
I get this creaking noise as well. I can't figure it out, but it started only when reversing, but now it happens when I am going forward and at slow speeds. I have had one CV joint replaced, there is no travel in the ball joints either. Top mounts?

Really starting to annoy me!! :evil: