Reaction score
Hello, just wondering, as I have no experience of the clio sport range on how easy it is to tune the trophy or a basic 182 to 200hp? I am a believer in keeping rare, unique cars as standard as possible so subtle mods would be preffered! What have other members done?

Cheers this is my first post and I hope to buy a trophy around Autumn time!

Steven

Reaction score
It all depends on how much you want to spend. That makes it easier or harder... but you are not going to keep it very standard doing that...

Reaction score
exhaust and decat - £500
remap - £300
induction kit - £200
matched inlet manifold £250??

will be near on 200 brake.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
my 2 pence worth:

Change wiper stalk!!!!! - £25
Brakes, disks, pads, lines, fluid = £200-£400 (no major need for 4 pot calipers but a couple have reported these as nice)
Inlet Manifold - £250-£300
Panel filter - £50, no need for an expensive IK
Remove accoustic valve - time, can be done yourself.
Custom Air feed - more cold air = more power - £30?
5w40 oil - better blood = more engine efficiency and less wear - £35
Exhaust - from a couple of hundred to a grand. Range is massive with loads of options
Custom or 'live' remap. - £200-£400

I've probably forgotton a couple of things but after that lot you should have a car putting out around 190-200bhp at the wheels, note the 182 is at fly not wheels.

ps, externally you'll have a car that appears standard, Reno will only really notice the filter and exhaust but it'll be about as quick a car as you'll need this side of a track.

Reaction score
Covered everything there Cue, xcept you're mixing up your fly/wheels again! 182bhp is indeed at the fly (as all manufacturer claims are and why brake-horsepower should be used and not PS) but you will not get anything like 190-200bhp at he wheels from those mods! I think you meant at the fly again, 7MAT has those mods and that's what he gets. You would need a turbo conversion seeing over 240bhp at fly for that.

Steven, you Related to Harrison (EVO ed)? 200bhp indeed possible but not cheap (like a VAG turbo). Get the weight down to a tonne (free) and fit better pads and you'll be much quicker on track than if you spend £3000 under the bonnet. Better off buying a 172 Cup for that though, and not ruining a Trophy.

Reaction score
Hate to say that in £/bhp exhausts are very poor value - even with a decat there do not seem to be any proper before and after figures. Certainly inlet manifold matching and re-map are best value - but the chances of seeing a genuibne 200 bhp are very slim. Without getting very ambitious on other aspects, head work on its own will not give more than 5 bhp (per Ben R of Angleworks). Similarly the standard management system, which relies on airflow data cannot support aggressive cams.

The jury is out on alternative aif filter systems - best value is a clean panel filter and possibly remove the accoustic valve, but only if you are going to do some other mods and have a remap.

As for its relative power/torque the Trophy is quite heavy (when compared to say a Caterham) it is vital to retain or even improve mid range torque - again Angelworks do cams which will help in this respect, but I am sure that Ben would not expect 200 bhp witjhout going ot a much more ambitious and expensive package.

Wieght saving is a good idea, but would spoil it as a road car, and for instance in competition move you into a different class where you would be up against proper track cars.

Reaction score
Welll said George, Morego sell a 202 conversion for the 182 that includes just a re-map, exhaust and cams and claim (can you guess?) 202bhp at the fly. Evo tested it and said it felt about right and 0-60 dropping to 6.0 secs dead. Quite expensive though and I would like to see the rolling road before and after data of the same car before I spent my money. I really don't think that a realistic 200bhp is that difficult to achieve, just not really worth it, if you're spending this much you really should buy a faster car, spend £3K on a £4K 200SX and you will see 400bhp+ and have an awesome drift car to boot!

Reaction score
i think 1 of these would help you along your way to 200bhp, I have just fitted one.
A simota carbon aeroform induction kit.

100_1591.jpg

the car is faster, noticeably faster, no joke. Im looking forward to getting my car rolling roaded after/during my remap in a month or 2.

I'd recommend to anyone.

Reaction score
Please RR it before and after the re-map, it would be great for some real data. As for the induction kit, I'd be surprised if it offered more than 4 or 5 bhp max power but would be glad for you to prove me wrong. Never underestimate the psychosomatic effect of induction roar! It made me think I'd turned my 205 GTI into a Group B rally replica!

As for 200, how about 260?

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product ... 2088&pic=2

Or even a sub 4 second 306bhp Trophy running 12psi of boost, now that's fast. But £6100.

Reaction score
Steve said:
Please RR it before and after the re-map, it would be great for some real data. As for the induction kit, I'd be surprised if it offered more than 4 or 5 bhp max power but would be glad for you to prove me wrong. Never underestimate the psychosomatic effect of induction roar! It made me think I'd turned my 205 GTI into a Group B rally replica!

Or even a sub 4 second 306bhp Trophy running 12psi of boost, now that's fast. But £6100.

i know noise can sometimes be decieving, but im sure its not in this case. No idea whether power or torque has increased, but it is faster.

In regards to rr..it will be getting rr'd before and after. :D 1 of the main reasons i went for this is that hardly anyone has one/knows about one. Its almost research lol.

Reaction score
Steve said:

I'd love to see the mechanics face when they open the hood on that little lot, and then see it says NO ROADTEST on the job sheet. :D

Reaction score
I ve been looking at the morego kit - but I believe 202 is very optimistic.

GDI do a kit for 1500 that reckons you can achieve 197.

Also they do a kit for 3000; I think yozza do a turbo conversion but that is crazy cash!

As for my self:

1. Pioneer stereo (fitted last fri)
2. Custom exhaust (9th May) (also may get full induction but going to research more)
3. Manifold match (june)
4. Cams (july)
5. Re - map

And thats my lot!!! No more mods after this. The it is saving time for my next car EVO 8 300 or 320.

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
And thats my lot!!! No more mods after this. The it is saving time for my next car EVO 8 300 or 320.

good choice of car...i'll probably be going down that route after the trophy...and when im 21 and don't get laughed at down the phone by insurance companies :lol:

Reaction score
21 and Evo VIII MR FQ-320? Expect to hear some laughter, and then some crying from your end!

Got to be done though if you're on the performance ladder, not many other ways to go quicker in the real world for under £20K. If I ever go the rally car route (Scooby/Evo) I'd get a P1, much prettier than any of the new stuff, just as quick on real roads and not as thirsty.

Reaction score
Steve said:
21 and Evo VIII MR FQ-320? Expect to hear some laughter, and then some crying from your end!

Got to be done though if you're on the performance ladder, not many other ways to go quicker in the real world for under £20K. If I ever go the rally car route (Scooby/Evo) I'd get a P1, much prettier than any of the new stuff, just as quick on real roads and not as thirsty.

21 with 4/5 years no-claims (touch wood)...can't see a problem, as the newer evos aren't considered imports but uk cars. i bet i would be paying considerably less then than i am on the trophy now!

plus, im 3rd party on a evo 9 atm :wink:

either evo route or something like a white exige s for me!

Reaction score
How much Matt? Shouldn't be too bad on a Trophy, only 17D, an Evo, whether it's import or not is always 20.

Greenlight will do it but I'd doubt for less than £3K a year. You obviously value driving very highly, good man!

Reaction score
Steve said:
How much Matt? Shouldn't be too bad on a Trophy, only 17D, an Evo, whether it's import or not is always 20.

Greenlight will do it but I'd doubt for less than £3K a year. You obviously value driving very highly, good man!

i thought it was 16?

anyways, dunno exactly how much im paying as i swapped half way through the 10 month policy, but im paying a bit over 300 per month for the next 6 months with brakes, exhaust and induction kit declared. And thats aged 19 with 2 years NCB. Sounds expensive, but wouldn't change it for the world, its what I work for.

anyways, we'll see in a couple of years about the evo, for now I love my trophy and not in a rush to change that at all.

and yes, i do value driving very highly, 1 of my groups of mates love their cars, but are mainly older than me, so i have to play catch-up, and i sort of come from a family who are into their cars!

Reaction score
I am 24 so hopefully 2 years time 26 and insurance will be in and around 1300 pounds.

Plus I ll be earning more by then in my profession so wont hurt as bad in the pocket department.

Only thing which puts me off evo is the service costs, heard it must be serviced every 3000 miles!!

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
I am 24 so hopefully 2 years time 26 and insurance will be in and around 1300 pounds.

Plus I ll be earning more by then in my profession so wont hurt as bad in the pocket department.

Only thing which puts me off evo is the service costs, heard it must be serviced every 3000 miles!!

Better than that 176, I was 26 when I insured mine, £870 with 1 year no-claims, 3 points and only 2 years driving experience. Now I'm 27, with three years no claims I've just renewed mine all the bells and whistles, unlimited mileage, trackday and mod friendly for £470. :D

That with 30mpg, £100 a service and £200 for new trackday brake set-up. It's one cheap Supercar to run. :lol:

Matt - I'm sorry, did you say;

£300 a month ?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: