Exhaust - Would these work ????

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thoughts on this Exhaust Chaps - do we think they are as near to a original as you would get ?????

It would be really good to see one in the flesh, however I'm not up for the drive across to France

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes Ed - you could be right there

Shame someone can’t come up with a good quality aftermarket one.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes Ed - you could be right there

Shame someone can’t come up with a good quality aftermarket one.
I'd say the PMS system is good quality, it just doesn't have the look of the OEM one with those huge double skinned rear boxes, but then it does beg the question; who's really going to be getting down on their hands and knees to nosy about under the rear bumper of what is to most folk an old red Clio. There are advantages to the PMS in terms of weight saving, longevity (with it being SS) and probably a very small horsepower gain, but if you're craving to be concours the best bet is still to hold out to find an original 182 exhaust someone's taken off years ago and still has propped up in the back of the garage/shed/workshop etc. That said if it's just the look of original tips, I'm sure if one was determined enough, a pair of original tips could be grafted onto a PMS system...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
That system looks pretty nasty tbh. The PMS would be the system I would want if I didn’t have the Orbisoud. I’m not sure I understand the must have original when it comes to the exhaust, if it was good then fine but it was a heavy piece of shit. Fit and enjoy a system to your liking.

Reaction score
Given the huge amount and variety of, often world class fabricators and workshops
around the UK, you would think it shouldn't be impossible to get something akin
to the original (in looks at least) and built to last a bit better, built.

Maybe the possibility of a small group buy from others, might be encouragement enough for
a really good fabricator to do a batch of exhausts?

There must be owners who would like to change their exhausts or have a really nice one on hand at least,
just in case, for their future needs.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Given the huge amount and variety of, often world class fabricators and workshops
around the UK, you would think it shouldn't be impossible to get something akin
to the original (in looks at least) and built to last a bit better, built.

Maybe the possibility of a small group buy from others, might be encouragement enough for
a really good fabricator to do a batch of exhausts?

There must be owners who would like to change their exhausts or have a really nice one on hand at least,
just in case, for their future needs.
I think we've been here before Francis, the problem with reproducing the OEM rear exhaust boxes to be a fairly exact replica, because of their original construction process (large pressed sections) is it could potentially be quite a labour intensive task - which in turn would make them very expensive. To this end, not all us Trophy owners have infinitely deep pockets, so would potentially find it difficult to justify a very expensive option just for the sake of them looking original, for me personally the PMS system is about the limit I'd be prepared to spend on a new exhaust. Also, I doubt any exhaust manufacturer or fabricator would be prepared to stump up the tooling costs to replicate the rear boxes with only the potential to what would amount to perhaps a handful of sales at best, the majority of 182 owners are happy with the current crop of aftermarket options available, there are in reality very few who are currently interested in concours nut and bolt originality.