Reaction score
Am looking to clean 007s rocker cover a bit as sometimes, especially with this weather it looks a bit grimy. Engine degreasers only degrease, not clean so wondered if anyone had any hints this side of taking a dremel to it...

Cheers

Reaction score
Whatever you do don't polish it, it's a world of headaches!! Tried on my cup and it never looked great, even if you pay for it for me it's still not perfect!

Therefore my advice would be a wire brush!! It comes up great!!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes the only way with the finish it has is a dremel with a wire brush attachment but don't try too hard or you'll loose the natural finish it has.

Reaction score
You cant go wrong with GUNK to degrease it! but if you want to give the alloy a good clean / polish. The best thing I would suggest to remove the oxidisation would be a scotchbrite cloth. If your not familiar with one, it basically looks like a scouring greeny like you'd use for washing up! there great for cleaning alloy up and will give it a nice shine without damaging the surface.

They come in 3 different grades, try this link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3M-Scotchbrite-Ha ... 365wt_1167 (there may be cheaper ones than this on ebay, this is just to give you an idea).

You can also buy scotchbrites is most car part shops. P.S. Don't use a dremmel! You'll be there for ever and never get a smooth finish. These will get the alloy nice and shiny, they get into every nook and cranny, but they will not remove the rough surface if that's what you intent to do? Otherwise there a good choice.

Reaction score
I used a drill with a soft wire drill piece, wiped it down then buffed up with very fine wet and dry, obviously dont touch the Renault sport bit on the top with the wire drill, just use wet and dry, brings the letters up quite good but make sure its a very fine grade. As already said it will never get rid of the pitting but cleans it up quite well, although i wish i had just wet and dryed the whole thing as the wire drill give it a bit of a weird finish, still looks better than it did with the dull look though.
Also dont use a wire brush / drill on the lower inlet, again just use wet and dry.
As a comparison the first pic below is the colour it was before a cleaned it, the 2nd pic is after it was cleaned and back on the car.
DSC00864.jpg
DSC00928.jpg

Reaction score
Would you have to change the gaskets if you took the inlets off?

Reaction score
Sam_K said:
Would you have to change the gaskets if you took the inlets off?

No, as long as its in good condition, like not kinked, bent or split. Although a new one isnt that much i dont think so you could just fit a new one for you own piece of mind.