Reaction score
The part number for the ECU bracket that breaks is 7701471821, so Renault Mill Lane Aldershot say, but I don't know if I believe them. If you book the T into a dealer to have the bracket repaired under warranty this is the number to quote in advance for the part.

Just had my entire morning wasted by Mill Lane Renault in Aldershot. I rang a month in advance to book the T in to have the bracket repaired and talked to the service people about what needed fixing. I asked for them to make sure they had the correct part as it would be unlikely to be stocked. "Yea, yea, if it's a common fault we'll have seen it before. ECU bracket where it mounts to the bodywork by the N/S damper top mount you say. Yea no problem getting that part."

I also asked for another set of original dealer number plates to be made as spares. "Yea, yea we can do that when you come in on Saturday no problem." I also booked, then cancelled an MoT.

Turned up this morning to be told I was booked for a bracket repair and an MoT. No I've cancelled the MoT. "I still have it listed on the job sheet and you need an MOT in a month" No I don't. "Yes you do." Seriously I don't. This went on for a while and the guy wouldn't believe me that no matter the date of first registration it's the year of manufacture that counts regarding when to have an MoT. Explained at the bottom if you want the details.

Moving on, I then said I wanted the plates made up and to talk to the guy that does it before doing them so they get them right. "Sorry the new vehicle sales preperation building where we make the number plates is closed on Saturdays, we can't do it." Screw up one.

They take the keys off me and I'm already very nervous. Thankfully the mechanic took a seat cover and paper matts to the car and put it all in the right places before driving it into the service bay. He drives back 10 minutes later. Nice guy, he sees me waiting outside (looking at a trashed MkI V6 they have parked up and because they don't seem to have any customer waiting area. I certainly wasn't told where it was) and apologises and says "I haven't got the right part. I have a part, but it's wrong and we don't have the correct one in stock. You'll have to come back." Screw up two.

So, I get up at 7am on a Saturday, having not gone out last night as I knew I had to get up today. Drive at least a 60 mile round trip and get naff all for my efforts. Cost in fuel? Probably at least £10-15 worth of V-Power. Treatment by Mill Lane service department, pi** poor. Mechanic was a nice guy though and looked gutted that someone had screwed up.

What is it about Renault customer service, or the service departments at least, that is quite so dumb? Their inability to transfer the correct information to parts ordering, and what they tell you on the phone being nothing like reality is dreadful. I now have to waste another Saturday morning getting it all sorted. :evil:

Do I bother going back? Do I go somewhere else? I might risk going back as at least you'd hope they can't screw up a second time. I so pity anyone that has to take the T to a main dealer for any really major work done.

Bit about MoT's a when they are due:

According to DVLA form V112 (this form is to claim for exemption from MoT testing or declaration as to age of vehicle) http://www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/onlineforms.aspx (part 3 on page 4) you only need apply for an MoT on the last day of the third year since manufacture.

As I understood it you need to send one of these forms with your tax disc application as the T hasn't got an MoT yet (less than three years old). Which I just did as I'd applied for a tax disc from the DVLA via the mail.

The form states: "Because it is impossible to know the precise date a vehicle was made, the date is considered to be the last day of the year in which the vehicle was made. Is your vehicle more than three years old? If no what year was your vehicle made in? (2005) Your vehicle must have its first MoT test at the end of the third year after this.

Therefore, to me, a car built in 2005 needs an MoT on 31st Dec 2008. Naturally not everyone does this as MoT testing stations would be bedlam at the end of every year, but as I understand, if you want to wait until the end of the year it's fine to do so.

Contrary to this a DirectGov information page supports the Renault service managers perspective:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... DG_4022112

When your vehicle needs testing: If a vehicle is registered with no prior use on the road, the MoT will be required three years after the date of registration. For example, a vehicle registered ‘from new’ on 1 April 2004 will require its MoT no later than 1 April 2007.

Who do you believe. DVLA or DirectGov?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
TBH just get it done and out of the way, my luck would see me dropping it during that period and ending up in a huge fight with the insurance.

Reaction score
Fair point.

Just didn't want to have MoT, insurance, tax all happening at same time in the year if it can be avoided. £££

Reaction score
when you get it back put a large washer under the M10 nut where it normally snaps...should stop it going again...
as for the dealers... they're all like that...

Reaction score
Nice one. That was just the info I needed. How to stop it happening again.

As for the dealers...crying shame it has to be like that.

Reaction score
Turns out the part number Mill Lane quoted for the second time was wrong as well. See the thread "Cut & Shove ECU Bracket". 7701471821 is DEFINATELY wrong.

The correct part number may be 8200067223.

S4M

Reaction score
Hi There

I live over the road from milllane renault and my car has been with them alot ( Trophy 289 )

Cant fault them, James simon and katie from service are fantastic and allways get me booked in nice and quickley. I know one of the head mechanics in there and he knows his stuff and allways does a cracking job on my car. No hassle and everything gets done under warranty. Car has been in there at least 10 times for diffrent bits and bobs and the service has allways been top knotch.

I was going to the nurburgring and noticed a small oil leak from the rocker cover. Rang mill lane on friday night they had it booked in monday morning and repaired and delivered back to me by wed ( new cambelt also done under warranty ) Think you have had a bad and unlucky experiance dont let this put you off.

P.S myn also went in for a new fuse box and ECU holder not so long ago - Perfect job 8)

Reaction score
SM4, sounds like you've have a lot more luck than me.

Can you tell me the name of the mechanic you say is the good one please? I'd like to request he does the work.

Also do you have the receipt for the ECU bracket fix done under warranty? If you do, can you please post the part number they used. It will (should) be listed on the receipt you were given. I can then quote the correct part number to them and get the job done properly; finally.

If it's 7701471821 they have likely done a bodge job on you too and not told you.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
S4M said:
Hi There

I live over the road from milllane renault and my car has been with them alot ( Trophy 289 )

Cant fault them, James simon and katie from service are fantastic and allways get me booked in nice and quickley. I know one of the head mechanics in there and he knows his stuff and allways does a cracking job on my car. No hassle and everything gets done under warranty. Car has been in there at least 10 times for diffrent bits and bobs and the service has allways been top knotch.

I was going to the nurburgring and noticed a small oil leak from the rocker cover. Rang mill lane on friday night they had it booked in monday morning and repaired and delivered back to me by wed ( new cambelt also done under warranty ) Think you have had a bad and unlucky experiance dont let this put you off.

P.S myn also went in for a new fuse box and ECU holder not so long ago - Perfect job 8)

Thats good service, not all are like that :?:

Was the cambelt part of the rocker cover repair?? If so your alright for another 5 yrs :D

Reaction score
S4M, turns out the part number Hoolio gave me (8200067223) is spot on.

I got the very helpful Alex in parts at Mill Lane to bring up the engineering diagram with the part on it and fax the diagram to me. You can easily see it's the right one - there is no huge pannel on the side of it.

The other part (7701471821) is definately a battery bracket and not the correct part. So sadly Mill Lane got it wrong twice and tried to bodge the second job.

On the upside, I spoke to the service manager Keith Homer, he was really apologetic that the issue still hadn't been resolved and has offered to send a mechanic from them to me, to fit the part on Saturday morning. Part arrives on Wed, hopefully the T will be back to "all genuine parts" by Saturday lunchtime - and I'll not have had to lift a finger.

That's the kind of service you want first time around...but all is not lost and I'm sure they will redeem themselves this time. Third time lucky. :)