Reaction score
If a head-to-head test was conducted to assess Cup, Sachs and say H&R Coilover dampers, I wonder if we are able to say what the results would be on the road and track?

I like the idea of the Cup dampers because they are so cheap (circa £100/pair) and must be pretty good.

I like the Sachs because they are OEM are are sublime on the road.

I like the idea of coilovers as an alternative to Sachs, mainly because you can lower the car to make it 'look' better and with the H&R come with a lifetime warranty I believe.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
As a 182 with cup chassis owner, not a Trophy, I would be interested to hear thoughts on this.

I think the 182 cup chassis has nice balance but the ride doesn't have much flow. I suggest that the cup spring rates (which 182 cup rates are said to be the same as the Trophy, though untested by me) are too high for the O/E dampers. I've always had the feeling my car needs to be more settled at the front, either through less rate or better damping. Of course, it's no coincidence the Trophy had lovely monotube, remote reservoir struts!

Last edited:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I had back to back passenger rides in a 182 Cup and Trophy and the cup seemed to roll quite a bit more than the Trophy and generally didn't 'feel' quite as stable. I was actually surprised how much of a difference there was. I'm not saying the Trophy was or felt quicker but it certainly felt like it could corner harder on a tighter section. I prefered the ride in the Trophy overall, although I doubt a Trophy could shake off a 182 cup on track easily.

Both cars were running different sets of road tyres.....

Last edited: