Reaction score
Sold my Subaru a while ago now and decided to look for a 182, got 6k together to find one. I have seen a few around that price.
My question is should i just borrow some money and just buy a Trophy. Are Trophys a better drive than the 182.....

Johnny

Reaction score
in a word "yes"
borrow what you need and buy one...or at very least buy a 182 cup
£9500 should buy a nice trophy...

Reaction score
^^ agree, Trophy is the ultimate Clio minus the v6 but thats a different type of car.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys :)

I just think if I get a 182 after a month I will be looking for a Trophy.

I seen one on Oulton Park last time I was there and it did look pretty quick :D

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)
With the exception of xenons and intermittent wipers (easily fixed with wiper stalk replacement) there's nothing missing from a Trophy you'd really want from a regular 182/182 cupped and the extras the Trophy has (Sachs Dampers, Recaros, Speedline wheels) are worth the premium. Most importantly its a better handling package :D
That said, its a 50% increase on the cash you have at hand. So there's definitely something to be said for being debt free and owning an excellent cupped 182 vs an excellenter Trophy with a payment to the bank each month.

Reaction score
buy my trophy :D

in all honesty, its hard to say.....some people would see it more than worthwhile spending the extra on a trophy, some people wouldn't....the people who don't spend the extra are the ones who slag off the trophy even though they have never been in one!!

but the trophy is a better car no doubt....all 172's/182's/trophy's are bargains for the money, but the trophy is the one to have should you want to choose to pay slightly extra!

Plus, I wouldn't look at too many 182's around 6k, sounds a bit cheap...you would want to be paying more than that anyway for a better example.....making the leap to a trophy seem even less!

Reaction score
Having owned a 182 cup before the Trophy, I can honestly say it's worth the extra cash.
Never once regretted swapping.
Do it mate!!

Reaction score
Clio 182 Trophy is the most technically advanced Clio 2-litre ever produced and was designed to a specific brief for British drivers, being sold only here, with a small number of left hand drive for Switzerland. The Trophy version represents the pinnacle of the research and development that has gone into the Clio Renaultsport 2-litre since its launch in 2000. Trophy has a specific chassis set up designed to optimise the handling of the car on the road and on a track using race car technology.

you know it makes sense :p

Reaction score
I am sort of wrestling with the same question, but I think my mind is made up. I want a Trophy :lol:

And you have all pretty much confirmed it too. How can I not take advice from a man who has Trompe le Monde as his avatar. :wink:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
There is still a fairly big gap between £6k and what you would expect to pay for a goodish Trophy, have you thought about a 172 cup the trophy's little brother, as quick and easier to mod for extra ponies :wink:

Reaction score
I was after a 172 cup but couldnt find a decent one so looked at 182s and Trophys. Unable to comment on the 172, thus.

The 182 cup pack handles well and I drove it back to back with the Trophy; even though the regular version is a composed handler, the Trophy is so much more direct and certainly the best handling FWD car I have ever driven (I've had many hot hatches and RWD sports cars in my 16 years of driving). My vocabulary is not really extensive enough to accurately describe why it is 'better' than the 182 and it is probably an idea to do what I did at a dealership and compare the two yourself.

When we tracked around the first medium speed corner (IIRC a 40 limit) my mind was made up, I remember thinking, is this really worth 1.5k more than the 05 plate black one? Oh yes, it was to me.

Reaction score
vamos said:
I am sort of wrestling with the same question, but I think my mind is made up. I want a Trophy :lol:

And you have all pretty much confirmed it too. How can I not take advice from a man who has Trompe le Monde as his avatar. :wink:

Taking advice from avatars? :wink: BTW, if you like Trompe le Monde you should pick up Bluefinger, Frank's latest release :twisted:

As Texasjohn says, without having a go in both of them (as close together as possible) you won't really know whether its worth the extra money to you.

Reaction score
vamos said:

Greatest band of all time mate!!
Like people are saying, drive both - I didn't think there'd be a big difference between them - within 5 minutes of driving the Trophy I was like wow this is special and decided to swap there and then.

Reaction score
Taking advice from avatars? :wink: BTW, if you like Trompe le Monde you should pick up Bluefinger, Frank's latest release :twisted:

Got it mate.
Frank's a genius - always has been, always will be!!

Reaction score
I didn't even drive the Trophy, I had a passenger ride and I still knew it was the car for me :wink:

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
I didn't even drive the Trophy, I had a passenger ride and I still knew it was the car for me :wink:

i knew it was the car for me before i even went out in one.

only had a 5 minute passenger ride to make sure nothing was falling off and then brought it

Reaction score
Haha, I remember arriving in the service station carpark and seeing the car parked on it's own, under the flood lights. It looked so good and I instantly fell in love :roll: duffer treated me to what must have been around an hr in the passenger seat and plenty of time looking over the car. I was smitten and scrapped all plans to see any other Trophys!

Reaction score
Drew196 said:
[Greatest band of all time mate!!

I know. Although Pixie orthodoxy has it that Surfer Rosa and Doctor Doolittle are the pinnacle, I think Trompe le Monde is fab, love the cover of the Jesus&MC Head on title too. I like Frank Black's (Black Francis's) solo stuff too, but the Pixies were (are)extraordinary.

Saw him live on the Cult of Ray tour, and also on the Pixies comeback tour last year. Amazing.

Well, well (at least) two Pixies fans on the forum, I guess I am pre-destined for a Trophy :lol:

Reaction score
vamos said:
Drew196 said:
[Greatest band of all time mate!!

I know. Although Pixie orthodoxy has it that Surfer Rosa and Doctor Doolittle are the pinnacle, I think Trompe le Monde is fab, love the cover of the Jesus&MC Head on title too. I like Frank Black's (Black Francis's) solo stuff too, but the Pixies were (are)extraordinary.

Saw him live on the Cult of Ray tour, and also on the Pixies comeback tour last year. Amazing.

Well, well (at least) two Pixies fans on the forum, I guess I am pre-destined for a Trophy :lol:

As far as I'm concerned every Pixies album was a classic - although in my humble opinion their best work was on Come on Pilgrim.
I'm showing my age here when I say the first time I saw them was in 1988 at Rock City in Nottingham and then I think it was maybe a year later(the old memory isn't what it used to be) when I saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon with Throwing muses - up there in my top 3 gigs ever.
Anyway back on topic - hope you sort a Trophy soon mate - you won't regret it!!