Reaction score
Have just spoken to Rentech in Portsmouth about my Trophys hard ride. I love the car but using it every day, sometimes its just too hard. They have said that they can remove the pins from the dampers which will make the ride softer, however they have not had any feed back from the few trophys that they have done this work to. Has anyone had this done, does it change the ride much & how does it change the fab handling of the car???????????

Reaction score
Sell it & buy a cupped 182 then.

As the suspension is what sets this car head & shoulders above the competion :roll: :D

I live in the countryside so only have mainly 'b' roads to play on. For me i don't find it hard, maybe 'raw' but then the wifes senic does float :shock: :D

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Its a firm ride no doubt, but I think you'll find most put their pin settings the other way for track work as opposed to increased comfort.

Reaction score
g40steve said:
Sell it & buy a cupped 182 then.

As the suspension is what sets this car head & shoulders above the competion :roll: :D

exactly

how long you had her for fella?i know what you mean its not the softest suspension, just need to keep your eyes out for drain covers and pot holes......jobs a gooden.

Reaction score
people only un-pin the dampers to make it firmer though, not less firm...it will fall all over the place round corners :lol:

unless, yours are set strangely high? Very few are actually set at 20 each side, mine was 20 and 16, you never know, yours could be constantly set at 30 clicks (much stiffer than they should be from standard) so it could be worthwhile to un-pin them and check!

The trophy doesn't have a hard ride in my opinion at all!

Reaction score
Perhaps its my age, but I find the ride hard, (Devon lanes are bumpy to say the least) aggravated by the seat backrest being unyielding - but as I mainly use the car for competition it is not an issue. If you do the push down test at the front you will find that it is extremely stiff - in fact the ride quality for such static stiffness is very good.

I have read somewhere that running at about 15 clicks does make the car much more compliant.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
You should try one with solid top mounts :shock:
Drive faster, smooths out the ride nicely, TBH if i new i was going to put a lot of miles on it i never would have gone for a Trophy but others seem to manage fine, i'm sure loosening off the dampers a few notches will soften it up fine. Had mine out for the first time in three weeks over the weekend, fantastic :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think it's 7Mat that has loosened his dampers a slight amount for road use - due to solid top mounts i must add.

If you get them unpinned then i would go too far the other way as it will ruin the cornering. How many miles have you covered? It could be that your dampers are on their way to needing a refurb...

On another subject, welcome. It'd be mighty useful if you could register the number in the owners register. For a reward you'll get owner status and a 3rd star :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cue said:
If you get them unpinned then i wouldn't go too far the other way as it will ruin the cornering. How many miles have you covered? It could be that your dampers are on their way to needing a refurb...

Surely as they get towards a refurb they are going to get softer. ie loose integrity and thus pressure?

Reaction score
Cue said:
I think it's 7Mat that has loosened his dampers a slight amount for road use - due to solid top mounts i must add.

If you get them unpinned then i would go too far the other way as it will ruin the cornering. How many miles have you covered? It could be that your dampers are on their way to needing a refurb...

I did but I've had my top mounts removed as currently doing about 10 hours of commuting a week. Will pop them back in again once my driving requirements change.

Just had my camber increased a bit more to- 2.5 degrees, currently running the fronts on 23 clicks and the Koni rears a tad firmer than the std Sachs. Fast road driving perfection! :lol:

Reaction score
Aha - solid top mounts. Is there a review by anyone on here of their solid top mount experiences? How are you all finding them? I am seriously sonsidering fitting them with my camber bolts, just not sure yet.

Also 7Mat, to get 2.5 degrees, which camber bolts are you using?

Reaction score
vamos said:
Aha - solid top mounts. Is there a review by anyone on here of their solid top mount experiences? How are you all finding them? I am seriously sonsidering fitting them with my camber bolts, just not sure yet.

Also 7Mat, to get 2.5 degrees, which camber bolts are you using?

I'm not using camber bolts. Mr Fish used a drimel instead. :wink:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
vamos said:
Aha - solid top mounts. Is there a review by anyone on here of their solid top mount experiences? How are you all finding them? I am seriously considering fitting them with my camber bolts, just not sure yet.

I'm pretty lucky in that 307 is only brought out at the weekends and I'll get used to anything but they transfer quite a lot more road noise into the cabin and the ride is noticeably harder so i can understand why Matt has removed his for general driving and i wouldn't really recommend them day to day, though I've not tried them with a softer setting on the dampers.
For me the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Reaction score
Cheers guys. (tupw)

Hoolio, want to elaborate on the advantages? 8)

g40steve - where the Eibachs from?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
^^^Oi! Who pulled your chain?

Vamos, TBH when Mark fitted these i had a whole lot of other stuff done (camber, alignment, new pads lines and discs and unpining) so it would be difficult to pin how totally different the car feels just on the top mounts alone but the turn in is now pin sharp and i now feel much more connected and so, in control, Cue and 7MAT pretty much have said the same so...........

http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5409