Reaction score
Hi all, i have just copied and pasted this from a thread that is on cliosport.net, thought that some people on here might want to have a look.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...apsicum-Red-Non-sport-and-Trophy-owners!-****

It came to my attention last month and again today that some Trophy owners (possibly non sports aswell) are experiencing fading on their door handles.

I'd just like to say we had a Trophy in our bodyshop last month and we noticed fading on an area of the roof. The guy not nowing any better thought the paint faded due to not polishing, protecting ect... like the old vauxhalls.

In those days you could just polish the single stage paint back to awesome shint red again sadly todays paints you can and a respray is the only option. Polishing will only polish the clearcoat and not affect the basecoat colour at all.

He was a little shocked to learn that Capsicum is a Clear Overbase paint. Red Basecoat and Clear top coat (lacquer). We repainted the roof and I gave him some tips on at least protecting the rest of the car for the time being.

Now as some will know the Milano Red Hondas have had years of problems now with the paint fading under the basecoat.

This is simply caused by uv rays from the sun penetrating the clearcoat and pretty much turning the basecoat Pink.

I'm not scaremongering here I simply want to pass on this information incase people think paint has moved on that much well it hasn't really. The Trophy is still a reletively new but with the roof I saw and the door handle reports I thought I would mention this to the owners.

From factory, Clearcoat does protect UV rays that's one of it's main reasons for existing.

I know we laugh and joke about detailing being ghey but the products out there, waxes and sealants are there for these exact reasons, to protect the paint.

I suggest the owners at least put something decent on their cars before it comes to a point where it's too late then the only option is to respray the car/panel.

Some waxes aren't great for UV protection. Sealants like Zaino Z2 are my pick of the bunch for price/ease of use ect.. http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalo..._Z2_Pro_1.html (CS discount aswell)

It'll last 5 months easily aslong as you don't wash it with bricks and fairy up liquid.

As I said i'm not scaremongering. Hoping to save you guys hassle and money in the long run.

Pass this on to the Tropphy owners if you can. Hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears and in the next couple of years you wish you had listened.

Attachments

• 19092009064[1].jpg
    19092009064[1].jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 68
Reaction score
The sun would have a good job getting through my Garage door & walls. Shame the same cant be said for dust! But mine is looked after regularly enough on the wash/wax front and doesnt come out often enough for me to worry aboutit being a problem.

But great post though, and certainly highlights what could be an expensive issue.

Reaction score
My doors handles definately seem to be fading slowly to pink, despite all the waxes and sealants I've had on since owning it. Is it possible that the damage can be done early on but not show for a few more years, I only picked up the trophy when it was 2 years old and judging by some of the swirls when I got it I'm guessing the previous owner was a fan of the bristle car washes.

Reaction score
Tinker said:
marrow said:
the solution is to only drive at night
Wrong, the moon does more harm to paint than sun

Are you sure? My understanding is that the moon reflects very low levels of UVa and UVb, at levels so low you cannot get "moon burn" and therefore would not have any significant effect on paint fade...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
marrow said:
Tinker said:
marrow said:
the solution is to only drive at night
Wrong, the moon does more harm to paint than sun

Are you sure? My understanding is that the moon reflects very low levels of UVa and UVb, at levels so low you cannot get "moon burn" and therefore would not have any significant effect on paint fade...

No he's rigfht, the moon is bad.

Reaction score
Anyone know of any custom car cover for just the roof? Just looking for something that can be whipped out quickly for roof protection.

Reaction score
Reckon a vinyl roof, in black - like an Austin Princess, would do the job; wonder who does these nowadays :)