Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently had the front and rear dampers replaced/rebuilt as well as the top mounts. Its going back in the shop tomorrow to have the ball joints replaced as well ready for a full geo alignment on saturday.

The guy at the geo place mentioned the track rod ends can sometimes be a nuisance when adjusting the toe, might it be worth replacing them at the same time as the ball joints? Big job?

And is attaching camber bolts something the tracking place can do or would it be best to get the garage to do it tomorrow? Can they be fitted without actually 'applying' any camber?

Reaction score
Why would you want to fit camber bolts without 'applying' any camber?

Reaction score
Sam_K said:
Why would you want to fit camber bolts without 'applying' any camber?

So I can drive it from the garage to the geo place without having wonky wheels!

Reaction score
Rick C196 said:
[quote="Sam_K":3bor6p3y]Why would you want to fit camber bolts without 'applying' any camber?

So I can drive it from the garage to the geo place without having wonky wheels![/quote:3bor6p3y]

I think you should be able to, but because they will make it adjustable, unless you have a camber gauge (in which case you may aswell put however much camber you wish) then you will be doing it by eye.

If you don't have far to travel then it wont be a problem if the cambers arent equal on both wheels.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I don't know what the problem is with the track rod ends, you don't need to replace them, unless they are damaged.

The place I took my car to for the geo wanted £20 to fit the camber bolts! :eek:

Does the geometry place use decent equipment? The hunter machines are very accurate.

Ben

Reaction score
BenG said:
I don't know what the problem is with the track rod ends, you don't need to replace them, unless they are damaged.

The place I took my car to for the geo wanted £20 to fit the camber bolts! :eek:

Does the geometry place use decent equipment? The hunter machines are very accurate.

Ben

Yes its a Hunter machine they use :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm doing exactly the same thing tonight.

Re-fitting my refurbed suspension along with a set of camber bolts. Then driving it home without it being set up. Then taking it to the geo place on Saturday. Will it matter at all, or will it just scrub the tryres a bit unevenly for the few miles I'm going to do?

Reaction score
It won't matter, just don't go flying through corners and expect it to stick like it usually does! :lol:

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Camber bolts can be fitted without adding any more camber, a decent geo place will know how to install them and adjust them. Remember the washer should be removed when using them on a clio and should be torqued up to 120nm.

We are currently developing some trophy suspension upgrades here at BTM Performance, and we will be on track tomorrow playing with camber and toe setting.

Regarding the track rods, only replace them if they need doing. Very simple to check, with car jacked up and the wheel hanging, place your hands at 3&9 oclock and try and move the wheel forward and backwards, pushing with one hand and pulling with the other. If they is any movement or knocking then replace them. Simples.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Can you please explain to me why I shouldn't put the washers on? I assume you mean the ones with the tangs which orientate the bolts?

It's just that I have put it all back together already! Kind of need to sort this before Saturday if they need removing. :(

Reaction score
Trophy No.
That's what I thought, the tang that points towards the eccentric cam part, orientates the bolt. The tang that protrudes outward tells you roughly what position it's in.

Reaction score
Well that was a waste of time :roll:

The geo place got the car up on the hunter machines, fitted all the sensors and then couldn't find the car on the machines #-o

It comes up with two 'codes' for a 98-2004 clio neither of which made any sense to us. I wondered whether or not it mattered since I know what settings I want anyway, and apparently yes it does.

Then to make things worse they had no idea how to fit the camber bolts :? Luckily a renault mechanic just across the road explained how to fit it but they're not mechanics so I told them I'd have them fitted elsewhere and then return for the alignment.

What a farce! :(

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
A geometry place that does not know how to fit camber bolts, HA!

...or have the car information on the system, double HA!

Yet they have decent equipment :?

Reaction score
They're tyres fitter but they say they got the hunter machine about 10 months ago

If anyone knows of anywhere near sheffield that could do the lot I'm all ears. I think I'll get there with this place but I think it'll take a while!

Reaction score
Be careful they don't try to set the geo as standard, the first place I tried here attempted to tell me the machine had to use factory settings !!! Find someone who knows what they are doing; a good sign will be that they know how to fit camber bolts ;-)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Had my geo set up by STS in Huntingdon on a Corghi blacktech. Waited in the waiting room where you can watch them setup the car to your own specification on a nice big TV. Once it's all done they give you a print out for your car, with the before, after and the standard settings. It also shows what the deviation between the standard and your new setup is. It was all sorted out with free coffee and a smile. I would highly recommend them.

Reaction score
OK so in an attempt to not overcomplicate things for my local alignment centre I've asked my local garage to fit the camber bolts for me... only they've never fitted camber bolts either.

This should be interesting :?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Why don't you fit it yourself Rick?

Removing the wheel is the hardest part, thats how easy it is. You don't even need to torque it because 'hopefully' the alignment place will do that after he has adjusted it.

Reaction score
BenG said:
Why don't you fit it yourself Rick?

I can't be bothered is the simple answer to that! My drive doesn't lend itself to easily jack a car up so I just don't do anything on the car myself these days