Buying Clio 182 Trophy Rust..

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a Clio 182 Trophy and I am wondering if anyone has any previous knowledge of rust on the rear wheel arches? The seller has sent me a photo of paint bubbling just where the 2 rear wheel arch panels meet on left hand side. I am wondering if anyone knows if this is a major issue? I'm no expert on rust but I know it spreads fast! and was wondering if anyone on here would have any advice on the issue? I have attached a photo of the paint bubbling.

How would I repair this and does anyone know how much it would cost to do roughly? I don't want to buy it and it cost me a lot to repair!

thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 60

RyanM

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a Clio 182 Trophy and I am wondering if anyone has any previous knowledge of rust on the rear wheel arches? The seller has sent me a photo of paint bubbling just where the 2 rear wheel arch panels meet on left hand side. I am wondering if anyone knows if this is a major issue? I'm no expert on rust but I know it spreads fast! and was wondering if anyone on here would have any advice on the issue? I have attached a photo of the paint bubbling.

How would I repair this and does anyone know how much it would cost to do roughly? I don't want to buy it and it cost me a lot to repair!

thanks!
Hi, I work on classic cars and so rust is something I know. From what I can see, the rust has not actually became a hole in behind the paint (but u can never be certain). If u were to fix this rust, there is no guarantee that it will not come through again as it is obviously a flaw with the car which has caused water to be trapped behind the panel, it could be as easy as cleaning up the rust with a grinder but it could also need welding. After any repairs it will obviously need paint, and in order to hide any paint job properly, the the full rear quarter would need painted. Basically if u are not too bothered by how it looks, then don't worry about for a while but if it bothers u then it could be costly to fix.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Oooof, without wishing to piss on the sale if you want that done properly it's going to cost what 4-500 quid? Could be an old repair not done very well but grit will get stuck in that join and act like sandpaper.

Good reminder to peeps to wash inside the lip of the rear wheel arch and behind the rear front wheel arch liners, two places where mud collects.

Reaction score
I think it is the rear bumper rubbing against the arch and then water/dirt gets in, as Hoolio said, and allowing rust to start.
The bumpers on the Clio have a tendency to droop very slightly in the middle and when it's drooping in the middle, the ends move up towards the arch and can cause the problem shown.
You can loosen the fixing screws on the bumper and lift the bumper up in the middle, or get someone else to hold it up while you retighten the fixing screws. This will help prevent the ends of the bumper rubbing against the arches.

Regarding the OP's question - as stated above, to fix it properly will probably involve cutting out the rust and welding in a small patch and then painting the entire rear quarter at least.
Not cheap!