Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'd put 5.1 dot in it. you may not feel the difference at everyday driving levels but if the brakes come under prolonged use you certainly be pleased with the switch - high boiling point.

Reaction score
Seconded, I run 5.1 the Trophy, and also in my race car.

In the racecar I never ever have hydraulic probs, but some people I race with seem to.

Don't know if it makes that much difference in the Trophy in normal use, but the added safety margin is worth it.

If you are that far into it, might be a good time to go for braided hoses too......

Reaction score
I think I have boiled my fluid at previous trackdays, so I am going to get my fluid changed come service time. Was going to go for some high boiling point DOT 4 fluid though rather than DOT 5.1, Motul RBF 600 seems to be one of the best fluids with a high boiling point (312 degrees) but does not cost the earth like the Castrol SRF...

Reaction score
What would the advantages/disadvantages be of using either dot 4 or 5 or 5.1 on the Trophy - assuming the car is not used on the track?

Reaction score
It's all about boiling points - From what I have worked out, DOT 3 was superseded by DOT 4 which brought with it higher boiling points, DOT 4 was then superseded by DOT 5.1 for the same reason, however DOT 5.1 will absorb water more easily than DOT 4, which is one of the reasons why high boiling point DOT 4 fluids are now readily available. This is just what I have picked up from the net and talking to people, someone please correct me if I am wrong! One thing I do know for sure is that you can't mix DOT 5 (as it is silicone based), with a system that is designed for DOT 3, 4 or 5.1.

Assuming the car is not used on track, best to stick with what Renault put in there, I doubt you will need a fluid with a higher boiling point, but then again it all depends on your driving style! :)

Reaction score
Well researched Oli

Deffo don't mix Dot 5 with anything else.

Correct again on 5.1 having higher boiling point and potential for going "hydroscopic" - getting water in it!

There is one other synthetic option which resists water and boils v high, and most importantly doesn't attack paintwork.

Name escapes me, but I think it comes in a Green box.

Reaction score
This confirms what little knowledge I have on the subject, I talked at length with Donkey about this while chiefbadger propped his eyelids open with matchsticks and tried not to nod off.

Basically, nobody but the army uses DOT 5 because they don't care about brake fade in a Jeep and are more concerned with it not getting contaminated by water.

DOT 5.1 is generally the best stuff, although many top race fluids come under the DOT 4 category.

DOT 5.1 for the Trophy, doesn't really matter which, but spend loads on a brand name if it makes you feel like Lewis Hamilton.

Braided hoses - don't bother, the OE ones are internally braided and less likely to rub against something, wear through and piss brake fluid all over the road before sending you off on the world's shortest Rally into a tree.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So what is the fluid that it comes with? or is it actually french wee.

amm

Reaction score
for track day use go for castrol dot 4 http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/garage.ph ... 11&MID=464 and braded hoses i run performace friction 97 brake pads and i have never had any problems with the castol dot 4 race fluid its cheep with a boiling point almost as good as some of the dot 5.1 range and is a beter than some of the cheaper dot 5.1 fluids .

amm

Reaction score
hoolio said:
So what is the fluid that it comes with? or is it actually french wee.

all new cars come with a cheep dot 4 brake fluid in the braking systems at the end of the day you get what you pay for

Reaction score
Castrol SSuper DOT 4, nothing more is needed for a road car.....synthetic, fit and forget, performs great and is cheap.

On a road car you'll not run into boiling fluid issues, even on track the pads will go first.