Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
anyone else thought of changing the bonnet for something lighter like carbon fibre - obviously having it painted in capsicum.... must save a kilo or 2...

Reaction score
Already read a post on this, apparently the aluminium one made for the 172 cup is way lighter than any carbonfibre one, trouble is, that's the 172, no-one has made one for the 182 yet. Someone should make one, won't be so costly to buy or repair as carbonfibre either.

Like someone said on another forum once, when you start worrying about weight savings of a few kilo's, you'd be better off going on a diet, or driving naked. (These two go together quite well, no-one wants to see a fat man in his birthday suit driving a Trophy.)

Day

Reaction score
Did the 172 Cup have an alloy bonnet?

I thought it was only us original 172 owners that had them? :?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
was looking into this in a bit more detail last night - apparently you can get 6k saving from the fron end which i'd imagine would aid control the little understeer there is and also improve performance and mpg (only negligable I know).

Now hoe much do the windows weigh???? I wonder if plastic would be better lol :lol:

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
Like someone said on another forum once, when you start worrying about weight savings of a few kilo's, you'd be better off going on a diet, or driving naked. (These two go together quite well, no-one wants to see a fat man in his birthday suit driving a Trophy.)

I know where you are coming from but it adds up surprisingly quickly... 15 kg from the back seats and 6kg from the bonnet already brings the weight of a 1090kg car to just under 1070kg...

O.

Reaction score
your only gonna end up puttin ya girlfriend in the car with ya....if ya have one that is......whats the point in saving pointless kilos??

Reaction score
big_peaches said:
your only gonna end up puttin ya girlfriend in the car with ya....if ya have one that is......whats the point in saving pointless kilos??

Exactly, if you're that worried, whip out the air con, stereo and speakers, trim, passenger seat, maybe even the ABS and get a racing battery, but if you start doing all this, you've bought the wrong car, you need to buy a 205 gti or and strip it down to the shell, you can make a 200bhp/ton track machine for a lot less than £13K.

I think the point of the Trophy is what a fantastic real world performance car it is, tackling Britains B-roads with poise and precision while still being a perfectly practical car for the daily commute and long road trips. It's Jekyl and Hyde character is part of it's appeal for me.

That said, it's horses for courses and I will be removing the rear seats etc. when I make a trip to the Nurburgring soon.