Best Roads In Wales

Harry 66

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
As i have things planned for the next few weekends and a short holiday in before the end of march its going to be a good few weeks before im able to make a trip out to wales for a day of driving and getting to know the trophy a bit better. I was wondering, what are peoples favorite driving roads in and around wales ?

One of my favorites is the B4391 heading east out of bala at the tip of the snowdonia national park. This road starts off quite tight and technical, beginning as a narrow British b road hugged by welsh hedge row then dipping to a small forested area with two nice switch backs. This then starts your ascent on to the top of the open welsh mores with nice cascading views down the valley. It is here you can start to open the taps, letting the engine breath a little more. This is all round off nicely by the final section that has some rather pleasant views descending back down where the road tucks into the side of the hill.

i have attached some screen shots off google maps:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 21.04.12.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 21.04.12.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 21.05.25.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 21.05.25.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
Reaction score
You’re not wrong, it’s a classic.

One of my favourites is the stretch between Forge just outside Machynlleth, south east to Llanidloes. It’s such a varied 18 miles that’s equally good in both directions, with awesome views along the way.

Harry 66

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Theres a good video on Youtube of Chris Harris driving a 911 singer over the stretch on the reservoir, it is a great road ive drove it a few times now only the last time i went i took the turn off towards forge and will be sure of doing that again in future. ill link the video of the singer.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I cycled up the hill along that reservoir - wish I had something other than leg power! I did think at the time it would be a fantastic road to drive on.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Theres a good video on Youtube of Chris Harris driving a 911 singer over the stretch on the reservoir, it is a great road ive drove it a few times now only the last time i went i took the turn off towards forge and will be sure of doing that again in future. ill link the video of the singer.

Great vid Harry, thanks for sharing, one I hadn't seen before. Harris at his best and that Singer 911 - the noise! Just fabulous. :) (y)

Lewr1407

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hello all,

I can thoroughly recommend the B4560 Llangynidr Road in south east Wales - probably about 5 miles in length.

Top Gear and other journo’s make some of their reviews on the road - you’ll recognise it from the videos.

If the traffic is quiet, you can easily get into a nice flow with the car…..just watch out for the sheep (especially in spring lambing!!) and wild horses at night!

Another road is the B4358 in west Wales from Beulah to Newbridge.

Last edited: