Reaction score
My Brembo's and DS2500's were old and tired and I my driving means i don't need uprated items, so i went for Mintex front discs and pads, Genuine renault rear discs and Mintex pads. When i fitted the pads into the front caliper i noticed the pads were a mil too small to fit snug in the gap. Sure enough, they slip forward and backward when i change direction and brake (reversing) resulting in a clonk. So I bought genuine renault pads instead, and sure enough, the same thing is happening. I know our car's are getting on and perhaps manufacturers think people don't clean out the caliper properly when replacing pads, but blimey, i don't wana hear clonk clonk it's annoying! Anyone else experienced this?

Reaction score
Yes reversing a stood Clio can clonk the brakes, but I would think that was more caliper movement or lack of movement, because the water and salt erodes them.
the first time the new pads and discs are put in, you will press the brake and it should bed the caliper in behind the new pad. i think you will need to service the caliper, spray it in a bucket of brake cleaner to start with. (white spirits or petrol will rot the rubber) just don't oil then for obvious reasons. other reasons may be you have not put the retaining spring on correctly, they are easy to put on back to front, difficult to put on correctly. worse case scenario is a caliper overhaul where the seals are replaced. ie brake off and onto a work bench.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do they have the shims installed again? I believe it's common practice to remove the shims when installing DS2500 pads so if they were fitted it's likely the shims were removed.

Whether or not this is causing the problem I don't know but I tend to think they were there for a reason.

Reaction score
Do they have the shims installed again? I believe it's common practice to remove the shims when installing DS2500 pads so if they were fitted it's likely the shims were removed.

Whether or not this is causing the problem I don't know but I tend to think they were there for a reason.

Sorry to be stupid, Explain the shims for us a bit more please.

Reaction score
You need the shims for standard pads (or they will rattle).

Generally they are not required for race/trackday compounds as they need the additional room to expand when hot. From memory, the DS2500's still have the anti rattle springs so dont rattle without shims, but Carbon Lorraines do not, so rattle around quite a bit when cold.

Reaction score
aaaaaah, my clio had ds2500s fitted when a bought it 4 yrs ago, so i've never seen those shims before.

What i mean is not that the car's sat for a long time, but if i reverse and apply the brakes i'll get a clonk where the pad has shifted upwards and hit into the calliper. Then when i drive forward and brake, it'll clonk again where the pad has shifted downwards and hit the bottom part of the caliper. If i continue driving there's no more noise because the pads are now resting on the bottom part of the caliper.....until i reverse and use the brakes and they get shifted up - if that makes sense. When i installed them you can move the pad up and down within it's location in the caliper by hand, like there a mil or two too short. It's the opposite problem to what people have when they fit ds2500s that are too large and get wedged in the caliper causing the pad not to release itself from the disc.

I can't imagine by the look of those shims they will stop vertical movement?

Reaction score
It should have a shim top and bottom in the pad carrier and springs on top of the pads as standard,these are designed to stop the noises you have experienced

Reaction score
Nah the noises are getting on my nerves, the pads are squeeking too. The springs are built in to the pads but the shims i've never had, have to take a trip to Renault. cheers chaps.