Another DIY Sachs Rebuild/Service

Reaction score
Thats the base difference between the Bump damping and the Rebound damping strength .... In my opinion the rebound damping is a bit too strong but that is non adjustable from the factory even with de pinned units ..

Nice. Thanks for that. I thought it might be. It would be interesting to compare two sets on cars back-to-back, original vs. a rebound of your choice that you think more optimal.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think that might be the next move from my service. Test a set with different rebound. Alth I'm sure they knew what they were doing when they specced the units !!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So how would you alter rebound considering it's "non adjustable from factory"?

Reaction score
They look spot on!

Do the cost of this job depend on how bad condition they are currently in when sent to you? Or is it just a set price?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
They look spot on!

Do the cost of this job depend on how bad condition they are currently in when sent to you? Or is it just a set price?

It pretty much a set price .. As I have to carry out the same process anyway.. It's always new oil , new seals, new bushes,and all the small internal parts on the adjuster that rust up new to be replace.. The only saving could be to not have them powdercoated but I am not in the position to put my name to sets that look shit when they are done.. People can't see all the great work inside.. They only see the way they look and It'd be a bad advert for me if they looked like they had been in a shipwreck ...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
So servicing if the shafts are ok is £400 , This includes powder coating and de pinning... BG charge £440 without powdercoating or de pinning .. That adds £120 and £170 to their price... Total of £730

Rik Perry. £400 + £100 or £120 per shaft needed ( DLC adds the extra £10 ) but my shafts are better ( Harder )
BG £730 + £100 per shaft needed ( Basic Sachs shaft )

So you can see your getting a good deal... I can't do it much cheaper or it just wouldn't be worth my while ..

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sorry not a very good explination there.... £100 is for a Normal chromed shaft like the std Sachs unit
£120 is for a shaft with DLC coating .... Dark grey colour and hard as Diamond that will never wear out again....

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So servicing if the shafts are ok is £400 , This includes powder coating and de pinning... BG charge £440 without powdercoating or de pinning .. That adds £120 and £170 to their price... Total of £730

Rik Perry. £400 + £100 or £120 per shaft needed ( DLC adds the extra £10 ) but my shafts are better ( Harder )

So you can see your getting a good deal... I can't do it much cheaper or it just wouldn't be worth my while ..
Bargain - you won't get a better or cheaper job anywhere else to be honest.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Bargain - you won't get a better or cheaper job anywhere else to be honest.

It's more for me about getting units back on cars so owners can see why they are so good than making money. Owners are scared off by silly prices and miss out on the whole point of the car by not running them

I understand BG are running a buisiness but their prices are way too high for most owners

Reaction score
Fantastic prices there Rik and a great service you provide too, theres only place to go if they need doing :)

Reaction score

Hi Rik - how much for a service only, so no p/coating or de-pinning or anything else?
Cheers