Reaction score
I am right on the verge of buying a Trophy, and have been reading this forum furiously to get myself up to speed.

Anything particular I need to look out for on a secondhand Trophy?

I will announce the number of the car once purchased, and apply to get another star!

Then it's modification time, what are the sensible early mods?
I was going to go for Braided Hoses, then High Carbon discs (as advised by Steve @ Allvehicles), then what.? ECU upgrade (which one/what do they cost), or should I look at something else first when pennies allow.

Thanks all

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome.

I agree with g40steve here, only do mods to a car like this when you're after something in particular, I bought car mats because it didn't have any, an intermittent wiper stalk because it should have come with it, an ITG panel filter because paper ones are crap and restrictive and a re-map because I WANTED TO DICK AROUND WITH MY CAR WHEN THERE WAS ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING WRONG WITH IT! I am quite pleased with the throttle response and slightly torquier delivery though. I'd definitely enjoy the car how it's meant to be for a few months first. The brakes are more than up to the task of enthusiastic road driving and should only be upgraded if you're tracking the car, as they do fade quite quickly on track apparently.

Good Luck with the purchase and it's a decison you'll never regret. What car are you coming from?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
160dmb said:
ECU upgrade (which one/what do they cost)

This was a thread i was going to start at some point. There seem to be a fair few different options out there and they obviously have slightly different merits.Why have people chosen their particular ecu upgrade and how much.
Also, did i read that you can taylor/pick your remap with future mods in mind or is this a figment of my tiny mind(tends to get cluttered :) )

Reaction score
Mine was a Group N re-map from K-Tec, a custom map that is 'tailored' to give more fuel at the top end to benefit the induction and exhaust mods I may do. So not a figment of your tiny mind, no.

Normally ~£270 but mine was slightly cheaper. :lol: (Read the BBR starchip thread if you have a week to spare). It's stickied I think.

Edit - not stickied, here - http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 3&start=30

Reaction score
Trophy No.
O yes, remember this now, it's the one where my tiny mind went "whoa tooo much" fizzled, popped and shut down :D .
Will re-read in small portions :wink:

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat aswell.

Buying my Trophy this weekend if not during next week.

Sold my car yesterday so the money is burning a hole in my pocket.

So will be an owner very soon aswell!!!!!

Reaction score
wrightyrs said:
I'm in the same boat aswell.

Buying my Trophy this weekend if not during next week.

Sold my car yesterday so the money is burning a hole in my pocket.

So will be an owner very soon aswell!!!!!

good luck with the search for one and don't forget to put the vehicle number in the Owners Register to get the coveted 3rd Star :wink:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
yh, i'd agree with Steve (G40). Get it on a track first or at worst spend a month or two with it, unmodified.

You may find you don't need to do any mods - its limits are perfectly suited to road use and you'll struggle to be disappointed by any aspect of its performance until you get it on track where maybe a bit more low end torque would be nice.

if you're going to mod the car in stages or if you're thinking of going for most performance upgrades I'd start with:

- Wiper Stalk
- Exhaust
- Filter
- Chip n' Remap (this is more effective after filter and exhaust mods)
- Brakes inc hoses, disks n' pads..... Calipers? maybe 4 pot option?

After those you will just about have the perfect car.... no need to start messing with engine internals etc.

Good luck and enjoy the Trophy Experience!