Reaction score
Guy quoted me 300 for port and polish. Supposedly has good rep. May just get exhaust done first then take it from there.

Reaction score
As far as I understood it, porting is enlarging the inlet ports and polishing is smoothing the surfaces of the induction manifold to allow more laminar airflow, hence port and polish. Isn't this pretty much the same as manifold matching?

Reaction score
That is what I thought!!

Going down with my pal next Sat he has more knowledge than me in terms of cars.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
This is just the manifold though - i though a port polish was more extensive. I've never had a port polish though, so I'm not sure how far they take 'perfection'.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
right just done the 200 miles back from AWT and all I can say is WOW..... A noticable difference, feels like it should feel..... more punch lower down... I'd say it feels noticably quicker, couple this with a new exhaust, chip and remap and I think it's push out more than 200BHP easily.

So much fun playing with rep mobiles on the way back.... even white van man was envious.... one Focus ST (the old 170 one) who tried to prove a point was basically humiliated, pulling out of one roundabout in 2nd, he floored it (torque steered across the road allmost), from 3 car lengths back i'd passed him within 500 yards (or there abouts)..... I'd definately recommend it.

Ben's a nice guy, knows his stuff and has one hell of a kick arse exhaust that i'm very tempted by.... ceramic space age stuff..... wieghs feck all so would be saving weight. Ben recons it'd be good for around 10bhp improvement on a N/A 182, double ona throttle bodied car..... And having seen it i can believe it, uses a unique type of silencer - almost akin to one of those ultra expensive pipes that filter toxins, does away with the needs for a back box - saving kilos....

Reaction score
Fraiser, so glad it worked out for you.

And i forgot to carry on talking about the budget, all go zero zhow (at all lol) exhaust. Its at a price most people can swallow, but only people who dont really care abuot show and trim, and chrome.

Anyway, nice meeting you!

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
Is a manifold match the same as port and polish?

Just been put in touch with a guy in Newcastle who does custom jobs on cars. Quoted 590 for exhaust so debating whether to get that or orbisoud? hmmmm decisions

The manifold modification is not a port and polish in the general understanding of the term, however it is 'porting' or whatever you want to call it, of the inlet manifold. The term 'polish' has long been attributed to 'flow work' but carries little significance.

If somebody is polishing their work they are simply wasting time and your paying more for nothing.

Port and polish susually refers to cylinder head work, and £300 wont be getting you very much. You'll also have to get the cylinder head removed and re fitted, which means a headgasket and cambelt change, labour wise, essentially.

However £300 for a manifold modification is dear, if that is indeed what is being spoken about.

Reaction score
10bhp is quite the extreem end of the spectrum.

Its a complete manifold back system with a few things you wouldnt of seen before.

Higher output regions were quote when i was talking about reaching limits of a stock one, i.e. standard engine on ITB's.

Reaction score
Sounds like you've been having some fun Cue, :roll: Wait till you get a re-map, more mid-range torque than an exhaust, induction kit or anything on it's own.

How much was the new manifold? I presume it's an exchange basis?

More details on this NASA exhaust please? Is it magnesium? If so the Yanks stole the alloying technology from the Rooskies after dissolving the Soviet Union.

Reaction score
Okay, Cue............................. :-k You've got me interested :twisted:

Could you give us all the details, like how muchwas the total price fitted, how long does it take, any pictures of the exhaust (just out of interest really as I've got a Blue Flame) and any other points to note as I am inches away from booking my baby in. I've got the full ITG Induction kit and the K-Tec remap (which is causing me a few problems with high tick over but I'll sort out in the next few months with a visit to the hallowed ground, that is K-Tec) so this seems the next step up in my goal for world domination...... :twisted: :twisted:

Where you lead I will follow =D> I am sorry if this is a pain Cue but if you will insist on finding such a good upgrade well, frankly I've just got no sympathy =;

Cheers on behalf of the greater good, nice one Cue.......... :wink:

Reaction score
Just to add to the interest Ben is scheduled to do the inlet manifold and re-map for me in June (delayed from end of 06 for all sorts of reasons) plus his latest cams which are 100% compatible with the standard ECU in terms of idle stability and should further enhance torque throughout the range.

I have already removed the AV and substituted a 75 mm feed to the standard airbox, which invovled quite a lot of reworking of the inlt to the airbox - no discernible improvement - but at least it should enable the best to be made of the mods when re-mapped.

Unless anyone can prove to me that there are real performance benefits from an exhaust system, it still is not on the list, as they seem to represent very poor value for money. Biggest reason for changing would be that the standard is heavy. Out of interest the standard back boxes appear to be straight through (absorption) type so should not be particularly restrictive anyway. Look forward to discussing further with Ben when the car goes up to him.

Will update once the work is done

Reaction score
Exhaust is all about weight loss and sound for me. The Trophy deserves a fruitier note and the standard system is a monster and not of the highest quality.

Reaction score
BenR said:
10bhp is quite the extreem end of the spectrum.

Its a complete manifold back system with a few things you wouldnt of seen before.

Higher output regions were quote when i was talking about reaching limits of a stock one, i.e. standard engine on ITB's.

With or without road legal cat? And will you need a re-map to see the extra 10bhp?

Any pics?

Reaction score
without cat, sadly a good cat is expensive, and that would just make the exhaust pricing even more silly than it is already and would ruin the post manifold design of the exhaust.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
T22PHY said:
Okay, Cue............................. :-k You've got me interested :twisted:

how muchwas the total price fitted - just short of £240 inc Vat etc...
how long does it take - just about an hour
any pictures of the exhaust (just out of interest really as I've got a Blue Flame) -no, sorry, but the memory will always be with me.... i'm getting it next year, i've decided this weekend.... extension of the house and brakes come first
any other points to note as I am inches away from booking my baby in. -they do more than just this, so if you're considering a number of things, give them a list... oh they now know how to remove the pins from the dampers..... even if mine's stuck solid :(