Reaction score
At the cars last service an advisary note on the receipt stated that the aircon gas was low and could do with being re-charged.

Around a month ago, when it started getting hotter, I noticed the aircon performance was really poor so I decided to get it re-charged.

I took it to Kwik Fit to have it done. They informed me that the system was virtually gas free but that no leaks were identified on the system. They also informed me that the valve caps were missing (presumably they were never replaced by Renault after they checked it as part of the service).

The aircon was icy cold again after having the system re-gassed but the performance has degraded over the past month to the point where it's no better than it was prior to the re-gas. I suspect the gas level is virtually zero again and I intend to take it back to Kwik fit to have it re-checked.

Could it be that the system is leaking gas due to the missing valve caps, and the reason that no leaks were found on the system is that the machine was connected to the valves at the time of the leak check?

Cheers,
Hoz.

Reaction score
g40steve said:
If you went to Renault they vacuum the system, then pressure test it.
Then fill it thats why it costs a bit more.
The caps just stop dirt getting into valves like on your tyres.

Cheers Steve, I'll just book it in then.

Hoz.

Reaction score
A proper regas should include putting a dye in the system which will show up leaks, as a matter of course.. I'd go back to Kwik-fit and ask for them to do it again as they should have realised it would have a leak.. Ask for a dye to be put in so you/they can locate the leak. The gas won't just disappear. The caps are just dust caps as previously stated.

Shoddy work/ignorance annoys me and gives the motortrade a bad name. GRRR!