Reaction score
My Trophy's exhaust back boxes are finally on their last legs and so the selection of an aftermarket cat back system begins...

So the initial search led me to the KTR Ultra performance system, which has a 2.5 inch bore from cat back. A bit more research led me to the understanding that the standard Renault cat only has a 2 inch exit from it (please correct me if this point is wrong!), so does this make this system a bit pointless in terms of flow rates unless you have a 2.5 inch dia sports cat or decat fitted? My cat is still healthy so I'm not looking to replce this yet.

I'm also tempted by the BTB system and these guys offer a good value cat modification where they replace the 2 inch restriction with a 2.5 inch section which then flows into their 2.5 inch system. I'm thinking this may be the most cost effective way of getting a standard cat up to 2.5 inch to match the cat back system?

Any comments from anyone with first hand experience with KTR's Ultra performace system or BTB's system would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Reaction score
i wudnt say its pointless, with exhausts you can always add a bit at a time but for best results a full system with sports cat/decat is what you want

Reaction score
it is genuinly pretty pointless in terms of performance, yes. But it sounds better and fills the exhaust cut outs better!

Reaction score
How much does the BTB cat mod cost just out of interest?

As i have a BTB, mated to the standard cat at the mo, & would prefer not to de-cat it ...

Reaction score
In terms of diameter for added performance I'm not sure if it will actually give a performance gain.

BTB is one of the best exhausts on the market for the Clio Sport range and the KTR is one of the worst. The BTB fits well and the manufacturing of it is good too how ever it is rather heavy. Now a yozza on the other hand ......

Reaction score
Sir_Dave said:
How much does the BTB cat mod cost just out of interest?

As i have a BTB, mated to the standard cat at the mo, & would prefer not to de-cat it ...

IIRC it's an extra £50 if you have it done whilst they are fitting your exhaust... I'll be calling them at the end of the month when my next pay packet hits my account so I'll get a definitive figure for you then.

How you getting on with your BTB? Whats the sound like because I'm after something smooth and sporty, not loud and boomy?!?

spank-it said:
BTB is one of the best exhausts on the market for the Clio Sport range and the KTR is one of the worst. The BTB fits well and the manufacturing of it is good too how ever it is rather heavy. Now a yozza on the other hand ......

What makes you say KTR is one of the worst? I can only find positive things about their exhausts, although going to a tranverse single box makes me worry that there may be issues further down the line as the exhaust won't follow the original heatshield route...

Not too worried about weight as I'm probably carrying at least 10 extra kgs myself, so saving 5/7 kgs by losing one back box isn't really too much of a concern!

Reaction score
What makes you say KTR is one of the worst? I can only find positive things about their exhausts, although going to a tranverse single box makes me worry that there may be issues further down the line as the exhaust won't follow the original heatshield route...

I work for BTM Performance so Ive seen my fair share of exhausts and fitted them. The quality of the welding and materials used are not the best, infact the welding is dreadful. The fitment is poor and they are not the easiest to line up especially as they move when they get hot.

Reaction score
OliS said:
How you getting on with your BTB? Whats the sound like because I'm after something smooth and sporty, not loud and boomy?!?

To be honest, it sounds lovely, but it is quite loud! And a little boomy at 80 on the motorway, fine below & above that though irritatingly. Build quality is fantastic, no leaks and fits perfectly. I also like the way the exhaust tips follow the contours of the bumper.

Used to have a Ktec Ulta on the last one. Leaked, didnt fit right & was too quiet, almost standard sounding in fact.

Reaction score
I have a BTB with modded cat, at (legal-ish) motorway speeds the noise can be a bit irritating, but its not to bad, sound through the rest of the range is real nice. I fitted mine myself and it went on a treat no issues at all. would reccomend them. I got one when they were quite rare but now i beleive they are off the shelf

Reaction score
I took #020 to BTB’s premises near Daventry last week to get the CAT mod and exhaust fitted and I concur with what Sir_Dave and bluesiedboy say regarding the tone and noise. When it was first on I thought it was too loud but it seems to have mellowed in the short time since and I’ve certainly noticed a vast improvement in acceleration and torque (that’s partly down the state of my old system.....)

I was slightly concerned about the length the tail pipes protruded from the rear (the website pictures didn’t do it justice) but Joe (BTB’s MD) and the guys that fit the exhaust are quite fastidious too so I specified how much they ‘poked out’ and they obliged. The centre pipe does allow for some adjustment so they can adjust the length of the CAT mod to suit.

Joe explained that a few years back they produced a batch that were provided through a 3rd party reseller but due to the additional mark-up it put the system out of the price for most. Providing them directly brought the price down to something that’s a bit more affordable while keeping their mark-up. When I was there they had two systems left (of six).

Everything I read and everyone I spoke to agreed that the build quality was up there with the best. Here are some links I found when I was weighing up the options that convinced me:

http://clio-motorsport.blogspot.com/200 ... ystem.html
http://clio-motorsport.blogspot.com/200 ... ation.html

In short, I’m happy and would recommend it. FYI – The CAT mod was an extra £90

Hope this helps.

Kev

Reaction score
Thanks for replies Sir_Dave, spank-it, blueseidboy and Kelvo, you've helped me make up my mind, BTB it is. I don't do many motorway miles so hopefully the motorway drone won't bother me that much and your comments about the quality of the system (and the poor quality of the KTR system) sealed the deal.

I'll let you know how I get on once it's fitted.

Cheers

Reaction score
marrow said:
Sam_K said:
Im jealous reheeally want a BTB :(

Sam - but you have a Scorpion?

i know but i really like the look of the BTB tail pipes, and I love the sound of them (from what i have heard on youtube).

However i am getting my Scorpion modified by JMS when it goes there, so will have no centre silencer and a nice stainless pipe from manifold to rear silencers soon :twisted:

P.s sorry for thread hijack!

is1

Reaction score
OliS said:
Thanks for replies Sir_Dave, spank-it, blueseidboy and Kelvo, you've helped me make up my mind, BTB it is. I don't do many motorway miles so hopefully the motorway drone won't bother me that much and your comments about the quality of the system (and the poor quality of the KTR system) sealed the deal.

Cheers

Am I missing something?
The BTB is circa £700-800 whereas a Scorpion RS 192 is £350. Both claim 5-6 bhp gain (RS 192 with printouts) but the Scorpion has a centre pipe so will, without a doubt, be the better choice in the long run from a noise point of view. It is also lighter (than the standard exhaust at least) and has a lifetime guarantee.
Scorpion build quality is not known to be poor is it? I have had one on another car and it was great. I appreciate it may not be a work of art but it's an exhaust after all.

Reaction score
is1 said:
OliS said:

Cheers

Am I missing something?
The BTB is circa £700-800 whereas a Scorpion RS 192 is £350. Both claim 5-6 bhp gain (RS 192 with printouts) but the Scorpion has a centre pipe so will, without a doubt, be the better choice in the long run from a noise point of view. It is also lighter (than the standard exhaust at least) and has a lifetime guarantee.
Scorpion build quality is not known to be poor is it? I have had one on another car and it was great. I appreciate it may not be a work of art but it's an exhaust after all.

I agree...

Reaction score
I agree the BTB is expensive, but i would say that the scorpion isnt perfect where i would imagine the BTB is. My scorpion definately needed a few alterations to make it sit properly aligned, Marrow will back me up that it was hanging far too low previously.

Other than that great exhaust 8) Oh and it seems to develop a leak after about 5 weeks of driving :twisted: (why its gonna go JMS)

Reaction score
Sam_K said:
I agree the BTB is expensive, but i would say that the scorpion isnt perfect where i would imagine the BTB is. My scorpion definately needed a few alterations to make it sit properly aligned, Marrow will back me up that it was hanging far too low previously.

Other than that great exhaust 8) Oh and it seems to develop a leak after about 5 weeks of driving :twisted: (why its gonna go JMS)

Hi Sam - yes, it was hanging, very low!

Why is it that almost all aftermarket 182 exhausts don't fit properly, leak and/or are just far too loud? The original exhaust may look a bit weedy but at least it lasts and is generally well engineered.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
marrow said:
The original exhaust may look a bit weedy but at least it lasts and is generally well engineered.

I really hope that was said in jest Mark the original is just the worst excuse for a "sports exhaust" I guess compromises had to be made but they could have tried a little harder.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
marrow said:
The original exhaust may look a bit weedy but at least it lasts and is generally well engineered.

I really hope that was said in jest Mark the original is just the worst excuse for a "sports exhaust" I guess compromises had to be made but they could have tried a little harder.

I was serious, should I be :oops: ?

Are the other RS exhausts any better? My favourite being the r26.r Ti =P~