Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
King Stromba said:
I have no vested interest in selling airbags. The companies that make airbags do. Make up your own mind who is more likely tobe telling the truth.

Yeah, its clear that safety features are a big selling point these days, and manufacturers are making the most of it. Cars having 6 or even 8 airbags now does seem to me like manufacturers are playing the numbers game. The general public naturally think more airbags = much safer car.

I still think they are a worthy feature to have, as anything that increases safety, no matter how small the increase is a good thing, but they wouldn't be a major purchasing factor for me.

I have spoken to people who said they wouldn't buy a Trophy because the Recaro seats dont have the side airbags. They are probably the more important of the airbags to lose i agree, but not something that would put me off buying a car.

Reaction score
A 20 year old volvo is a sfer car to be in than a clio in a crash. It has no airbagd, and no encap stars.

But it is very solid. If i was worried about keeping the occupants of my car safe in a crash (if i had kids) id be buying the car with the most metal around it. Not the one with the most airbags. 20 year old volvos have side impact bars and a massive engine infront of the driver. Ive seen volvos crashed and the guy just reverses out of the ditch and the car is fine. Ive seen people hit volvos and the other car is written off and the volvo just has the bumper crack.

Reaction score
Cars are designed to crumple nowadays. That 20 year old car might still be driveable, but newer cars absorb more energy so you don't have to absorb it yourself. Just like the airbag absorbs energy instead of your head. I think its safe to say all of us equipped with airbags are quite happy with them no matter how you look at the statistics.

I agree, bigger is better for you generally. Just not very politically correct when that supermini you hit isn't recognisable anymore.

:shock:

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
... i am an independent scientist trained in statistics...

Really? What science? And why in God's name did you decide to train in Statistics?

Reaction score
Im a research biochemist, researching cancer and phyonutrients. All scientists now have to train in statistics just to understand the research that come out.

We have to be able to understand a good paper from one where the figures dont add up, but have been manipulated.

Reaction score
Ah fair enough. I did Physics and had my fill of stats at that level... geez it still makes me cringe...