Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here. I have been offered an ex-company Clio Trophy. It has done 50k miles. Would this be a good buy or not???

I haven't seen it yet. How many services should it have had in this time???

Will those expensive dampers need doing???

Thanks

Rob

Reaction score
Trophy No.
How much? At least four times, double that for a well looked after one. And yes probably but there is a guy on here who will service them quite cheaply. Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Thanks. How much should I pay for it as well? Is it the highest mileage Trophy???!!!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well Ollie on here is selling a fantastic 28k one with over £3k as extras(sound system,mods) for £9995 which i think is way too cheap if that gives you an idea.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Well Ollie on here is selling a fantastic 28k one with over £3k as extras(sound system,mods) for £9995 which i think is way too cheap if that gives you an idea.

Buy Ollies, it is a steal, he loved it like his only child!

Reaction score
Yeah, that's great thanks. I think £7500 would make it a good buy.

Reaction score
Mine is £9999 + mods... so ~£11.8 with everything (but it includes number plates, new set of tyres etc etc etc). It also only has 26k miles (motorways!) :)

Yours sounds like a good deal at £7500 but don't get lured into a false sense of economy: can't see the clutch lasting beyond 60k miles, may need consumables (e.g. pads, disc's, tyres) and other weak components (e.g. exhaust) may be at the end of their life. Damper rebuilds are £500 (off hand) and clutch would be another £500 - which would take you to £8500 before considering consumables and the fact that you've still got a high mileage car. 'Ex-company' also rings lots of negative bells - is it an ex-sales rep car (probably unloved)?

Just keep it in mind and check everything over - it could end up being a great buy with due diligence...

:)

O.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
oliie said:
Mine is £9999 + mods... so ~£11.8 with everything (but it includes number plates, new set of tyres etc etc etc). It also only has 26k miles (motorways!) :)

O.

Sorry Ollie, think i 've miss-represented it a little. :oops:

Reaction score
Thanks for you advice. I will keep all that in mind. Is there anything specific to look for when buying a Trophy?

Reaction score
artdealer said:
Remember the warranty is only until 60000 miles. Get anything expensive checked :) It would be a lot of car for the money, after all, what's 50K !

I didn't know that... considering 60k may start to give engine problems on a company car... this would sway me away from the deal... but is only my personal opinion! Just no point buying a new car (which people normally do for warranty/peace of mind) only to not have warranty...

O.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'd say £7k fo it. It must have had a long journey to work as that's 50k in 18 months.. very high milage. At motorway speeds though that's most of it's life at 4k revs which won't be too stressful.

I personally get a major service done on it. I'd like to see at least 4 services on a 50k miler. preferably more but i doubt it would have more than 4 as it's been a company car.

Exhaust should be fine, pads may need changing, disks should be ok. Cambelt normally needs doing at 70k from memory, this is a 200-300 job, again from memory as I haven't needed this doing yet, don't quote me on it.

If you don't pile the milage on it, it could be a bargain for £7k. Most of it's brother will catch it up in a couple of years and I'd say they'll still fetch at least 5-6k at 60k and being 3 years old. So you could have 12-18 months motoring for just over £1k.

Not many cars offer that level of price stabilty at such a young age.

Reaction score
wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!!! unless they gave it to me for free and would use it just for track stuff!!!!!

Company cars are never loved (normally) and with it being a trophy i bet the people that drove it ragged the crap out of it!!

you could find a better condition car, with less miles and it would be worth spending a little extra on it.

Be careful.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
most private hire taxi's have been company cars at one point.... they get up to 300,000 miles out of them...

There's a common misconception about 'ragging' cars. Ferrari's are famed for their unrealiability if they are not 'ragged' to within an inch of their life fairly frequently.

yes things wear out, but find a good place to replace them and the car will probably run better with stronger, lighter and better quality aftermarket companents than with the cheap oem stuff they put into the car. Albeit, the dampers would be an exception of course.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will try and have a look at the car over the weekend and let you know. Is there anything specific to look for on the Trophy?

Reaction score
Cue said:
Albeit, the dampers would be an exception of course.

Which is, at the end of the day, the only thing you are really buying with a Trophy (versus a 182 with Cup packs/recaros etc.) :)

O.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
you've forgotten about the V6 spoiler :shock: Add's 20 mph to cornering speeds don't you know.... :wink:

re things to look out for btw.... it's a bit early in the trophy's life to be of help really. They're only 18 months old. And there is a 'faults with you trophy thread' that could be of help.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well apart from all the usual stuff check damper seals for leakage, the car shouldn't bounce when you push down on it. Not very scientific that bit and also that it has had those services.