24 Days To Go...

Reaction score
Time to give up then, i've been saying it for years, but i think i'll give it a real go. Save a bit of money too i guess.

Reaction score
ducks butt said:
Time to give up then, i've been saying it for years, but i think i'll give it a real go. Save a bit of money too i guess.

Snap

Reaction score
I personally can't wait either but then I'm not a smoker! :)

In Singapore they go one step further.. no smoking at a bus stop or a taxi stand (i.e. where a non-smoker is forced to breath the smoke... or walk!).

However in Singapore after banning smoking everywhere I think the uptake of smoking actually went up... :shock:

O.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Faze, I don't agree - i was a smoker, a long time back now mind, but I think smoking does take freedom away from people - both smokers and none smokers.

Our lass is due to drop in 5/6 months and she's refused to go into a pub since we found out (correctly IMO) also when you consider that the psychology that stops smokers just giving up is a restriction and limitation to them.

Reaction score
fazedesign said:
Gutted personally, as its another piece of personal freedom taken away.

(and no, i don't smoke)

I don't understand the logic.

Someone who smokes is forcing other people to breath in their smoke. How is that personal freedom for the other person?

The law if anything increases freedom: the law is not banning smoking altogether - it is banning it in enclosed space. So over dinner / pub you can still smoke - you just go outside. Then the people who don't smoke also get their choice of a smoke free environment. Win-Win for both parties instead of just a win for smokers (i.e. without the ban).

There is nothing good about smoking. For all I care it should be against the law completely. If you don't have access to cigarettes from day one then you will never miss it. Nothing to lose. Anyone who thinks smoking is good for them or anyone else around them in any way, shape or form is just making excuses for a bad habit that they can't quantifiably justify.

just my personal opinion ;)

Cheers
O.

G

Yes, it's taking the personal freedom of the smoker away, but isn't it my personal freedom not to have to breathe in the harmful gasses of another person? More people don't smoke than do, so it's a good enough compromise for me. :)

Reaction score
David87 said:
Yes, it's taking the personal freedom of the smoker away, but isn't it my personal freedom not to have to breathe in the harmful gasses of another person? More people don't smoke than do, so it's a good enough compromise for me. :)

But both you and the smoker have a choice whether to enter most buildings (for example, a pub). If going to a pub, it is reasonable to expect smoke unless the policy of the pub is that smoking is prohibited. If it is a no smoking establishment, the owner has made the decision on your behalf and it is up to you whether you accept his terms of trade. The important thing for me is that the choice is up to the individual rather than imposed by the state.

Of course you can't argue that smoking is a good thing - we all know that it is bad for your health, and likely to result in illness at later life however I think that it important that as adults, these are decisions that we are able to make ourselves.

Reaction score
As a non-smoker i think it's great, living in Scotland we've had this for ages now and my health has got a lot better since the pubs and clubs have gone clean.

I just cant see the point in smoking, i ask my mates that do.. "why kill yourself with cancer sticks, if you want to die quicker just throw yourself off a bridge (making sure not to cause any accidents). It'll make the news at least!" They come up with the usual "i'll quit soon" or "I can quit anytime i want" - nonsense.

I'm told that smoking is a tough habbit to break, cant see how, just look at the health benifits.

Reaction score
ryanaldo13 said:
I just cant see the point in smoking, i ask my mates that do.. "why kill yourself with cancer sticks, if you want to die quicker just throw yourself off a bridge (making sure not to cause any accidents). It'll make the news at least!" They come up with the usual "i'll quit soon" or "I can quit anytime i want" - nonsense.

It's true, there is little point to smoking - but that's no justification itself for legislating against it. As an individual it should be our choice whether to smoke or not, and whether to enter an environment where there is likely to be smoke. There are many things that serve no purpose that we do - going for a blast in the Trophy for example, and these shouldn't be banned either (as much as the government would like it to be!)

There are seemingly endless groups that seek to ban the things that others derive pleasure in, whether it be smoking, driving fast or whatever. Without such plesures life would be soulless - I want to have a life, not just merely live and I'm happy to defend that right, even if I gain no pleasure or indeed am inconvenienced as a result. Remember, next time it could be the thing you love that is under threat!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
ryanaldo13 said:
I'm told that smoking is a tough habbit to break, cant see how.

Yeah it's tough, the only easy thing about smoking is starting.

Reaction score
How is everyone going with not smoking?

I've gone 10 days now without a ciggy. Wasn't too bad for the first couple of days. I was at a wedding at the weekend and really wanted one then, but its amazing how much more i'm smelling, i feel a little better. Only thing is i am eating like there is no tomorrow.
Real test will be this week, i'm on the night shift and normally smoke like a chimney.

Reaction score
10 days is excellent

I don't smoke myself but its obviously something which most people cant just give up at the drop of a hat, there are always people around me smoking, especially the lads at work - they cant go 5 or 10 mins without lighting up