Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading from my 172 to a 197 cup or megane 230. wondering if anyone can help me decide. i like the idea of the stripped out 197 but think the 230 is a bit better to live with everyday. i've drove the 230 and it was very quick, but havent had a go of a 197 yet.

im also thinking that the 197 might not be much of a step up in straight line performance. would just like to know some of your comments on the cars and which one people would go for. thanks

kam

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the 197 so would definitely say Megane but they are 2 different animals.

I'd drive both and see which fits your driving style.

Reaction score
Just bought a R26 last week and sold my wifes 182. She will now be driving the Trophy. One thing I will say is R26 is more refined & smoother but because of this potentially a little less fun.

I liked the look of the 197's expecially the F1 but I could not buy a car that is both slower (slightly) and significantly worse economy.

At least the R26 is slightly quicker (& thirster tho). And has the potential to be very fast after a ReMap if I get bored.

Since you are on the Trophy Forum do you have one already? If not why not buy a Trophy as a stepping stone (get used to the Recaro's) and wait for the other two cars to loose sheds of cash over the next year?

I'm sure a 197 owner will give an alternate view.

Reaction score
I just bought an R26 and coming from a Clio trophy and cupped 182 and i have the following comments:

- Trophy has a keener turn in and has better steering feel (although Megane is impressive)
- Megane has the edge on speed
- Megane has superior brakes
- Megane is more refined
- Megane i think is slightly more stable at high speeds
- cornering is spot on on both cars.......very little between them....although i have never taken either car to the limit of grip
-megane likes a drink.......27mpg average at present compared to approx 32mpg in Trophy for urban driving
-Very easy to tune megane to some impressive numbers (approx 270bhp and 300lb torque) with a few choice mods
- Both cars are loads of fun

From a very brief dive in 197 i would think the following:
- The Meg and 197 have the same brakes therefore stopping power is very similar
- Steering feel is about the same (they both have electically assisted steering)
-Turn in is about the same
-Fuel economy would be more of less the same
- Again Megane is easier to tune (if thats floats your boat)
- Meg has the edge on performance
- both cars very stable and offer loads of grip
- Meg has LSD
- Meg has the 'revo knuckle' tech on it........im not too sure if the 197 has this bit of kit on it???

These are just my humble opinions. Everyone has their own preferences, but out of the two i would plump for the Meg, you can pick up an R26 now for very good money (not that much more than a 197 F1). If i still wanted a n/a R-sport i would go for the 182 family.....most likely the trophy!

Reaction score
Artdealer has an R26 in Liquid Yellow, with Xenons, Lux interior (full leather) and Tunepoint. This is £23,000 worth of car which he wanted £14,500 for.

That is an absolute bargain. Moreover the car only had 5500 miles on it!

I think he has taken a deposit, but I am sure another car like this will either be on the market or coming soon. Having owned both a 197 and Trophy I would suggest going for a 57+ plate R26; the 197 just isn't good enough.

Reaction score
Tried both before choosing the Cup.
Jimboss is close the meg has lsd & turbo, was it cupped?
The 197 Cup has the same brakes, revo knuckle, less weight etc so the stopping, turn in etc are way better.
If you like wringing the arse off your Trophy the 197 Cup is defo the car for you, as previously stated the brakes & balance are superb.
If you you like lazy power R26, both are defo a step up from the trophy in refinement.