Reaction score
Not been on here for a while due to increasing spam and the fact it's a lot quieter on here!

Just popped on today for a quick look and there is a ridiculous amount of spam, frankly it takes the piss a bit and its something that can be sorted really easily.

Can this get sorted asap before we loose all our members as I think everyone is probably finding this as crap as I am....

Cmon Nik sort it out, its embarrassing...or at least grant someone else moderator/admin rights so they can delete all the shite on here....

Reaction score
Couldn't of put it much better myself! Please @Nik grant someone else mod rights?

Reaction score
Currently seeing a few new users registering as well.....wondering how long it will be before they start spamming the forum too....

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I sent Nik a long PM regarding the forum and the use of the forum along with spam and very old pointless sections and put some suggestions to him. Needless to say I never even got a message back.
As I said to Nik the forum could be a busy small place of it was cleaned up and sorted out.

He has been online 2/3 times in the last couple of weeks.

what I do is to click the small report tab at the bottom on the post and report it as spam and I think nick will get an e-mail about this.
the only other way to get him is to jump over to CLIOSPORT but as I said he never replied to me

Reaction score
I think if I reported all the spam I've seen today I'd have to buy a new mouse as it'd be well and truly worn out by then!!

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I sent Nik a long PM regarding the forum and the use of the forum along with spam and very old pointless sections and put some suggestions to him. Needless to say I never even got a message back.
As I said to Nik the forum could be a busy small place of it was cleaned up and sorted out.

He has been online 2/3 times in the last couple of weeks.

what I do is to click the small report tab at the bottom on the post and report it as spam and I think nick will get an e-mail about this.
the only other way to get him is to jump over to CLIOSPORT but as I said he never replied to me

I haven't replied because i wanted to resolve the problem technically first. The answer to spam isn't to simply throw more moderators at it, they shouldn't get on here in the first place.

I cleaned up all the spam and there has been none until today when it returned because I had to turn the spam protection off as it was causing some registration issues. This will be resolved and turned on.

On the general subject of moderators, i've offered the role to a few people who've contacted me before with their input on the site and they've then turned down that option saying they don't want to do it. I'm more than happy to add a couple however, but there should be very little to do if the forum software is working properly.

Reaction score
I started a thread about spam a few weeks ago and I also sent Nik a pm. I was shocked to see that my thread had actually been deleted while the spam threads stayed put. Now what does that say! There were 3 other moderators, apart from Nik and when I checked a few weeks ago they had not been on the forum since August. So the policing of the site is entirely down to Nik and he doesn't seem to be concerned enough to do something about it.

I feel the spam really lets the forum down and should be dealt with asap! I asked Nik in my pm if it would be possible to have another few moderators - but I did not get a reply.
Does anyone else think that more moderators would help?

Reaction score
I agree with Nik, it needs to be fixed technically which shouldn't really be too hard to achieve given the right technical knowledge/experience.

Moderators would help but its reactive and not proactive, it would be better to stop the spam getting into the forum rather than just firefighting and deleting it as/when required.

Reaction score
When I was admin over at cliodci.net we introduced a registration question.
It was really simple and stopped all the spam:

Enter only the uppercase letters from the following code - kAeSpCheRAafEmUSwAD:

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
When Users see these Bots / Spam please hit the report tab as shown in the Yellow box

se9m48.png

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
As Marc says, if you click that button whenever you see spam it generates an alert to the moderators so it will be dealt with sooner. You can put a message with it if you like, just writing spam will suffice.
There's been 3 spam threads today, it's rather annoying, 2 were reported and I deleted one at 5:15 this morning before work which would have gone unnoticed.
If I could magically sense when they have appeared that would be great but more often or not someone else will see it first so reporting it will hopefully speed up the process. Unfortunately I spend my working day up a wind turbine in the middle of the Irish Sea so I can't always get to it straight away, however, I will know it's there if any of you guys have reported it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you hit the menu button in Tapatalk there is an option to report and it auto defaults the message to "its spam"

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So no movement on the extra moderator front then. You are obviously more visible these days but it seems unfair that you should shoulder all the work and I can think of several on here who would probably be up for it.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've contacted Nik about it, all I can do is leave it with him. Individuals could contact him if they would like to give it a go. As a moderator I can't do anything about stopping the Spam coming through, I can only delete it once it's here. In terms of getting rid of it another moderator with access to a computer through the day would be beneficial. You guys are helping loads by reporting it.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Some of you may have noticed that we’re getting a lot of spam again lately. I’ve deleted a considerable amount of posts the last week or 2 but unfortunately I no longer have access rights to ban users, I can only keep deleting the spam as it appears. At the minute there’s a particular user which is creating all the spam and I can’t do anything about it, which is frustrating. I’ve reported it to admin already.

I will usually see it when I log on, which is usually daily. If for some reason I’m not available to log on for a while then by all means report it as spam. That will generate an email for all Mods and Admin, although I am currently the only moderator on here.

Cheers

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I wasn’t reaching out for any volunteers. Appart from the odd influx of spam there’s not a great deal to moderate. I just wanted to let you all know that the spam is being dealt with ASAP. Of course if anyone feels like they would like to do it then by all means let me or Nick know and I’m sure we can sort something out.

Reaction score
Ben, is there a reason why you don't have access rights to ban users on the basis of these being persistent offenders?