Sonos?

Reaction score
Given the number of old farts on here I'm guessing there will be some home "hifi" knowledge.

Everyone seems to rave about Sonos stuff. I've had a quick look and it seems well reviewed but how does it work? I'm presuming it's a wifi or Bluetooth link but where is it powered from and if you buy 2 of the speakers and put them in the same room is it stereo output or 2x mono ?

I always have difficulty convincing my wife about home audio speakers ever since I bought some 3ft tall Keff speakers in the 1980s !!

Any info would be appreciated

Reaction score
I have the sonos Play 1 and its powered via your mains sockets and controlled through a wifi network that it creates. I love mine, the sound is amazing from such a small speaker.

I only have the one though so cant comment on putting two in one room....

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I made the change last year, all my Arcam and Mission separates have gone into storage and I bought the Sonos playbar and wall mounted it.

As everyone says above, powered off the mains, optical in from the TV, music streaming signal is via wifi. I don't have any more units so can't answer your stereo/mono question. Very easy to control and set up via the app on your phone. I am looking forward to getting a Play:3 for the kitchen in the near future.

Little story to go with the purchase of the Playbar for me: I had mentioned to the wife that I might like one about two years ago, then one day at work last year she called me and said "you did want a Playbar didn't you?". Needless to say she had already bought it and it was on it's way. I thought to myself, I'd better check the TV to make sure its compatible as it was quite an old TV by then. Turns out I didn't have an optical out port on the TV! So unfortunately I had to buy a new 55" 4K TV. Wife was just as happy as I was. :laughing:

Reaction score
I've ended up buying a play 3. It was for a family comfy seating area in an extended part of the kitchen or "the snug" as it's been christened !
The 3 is truly amazing with great sound all the was from good base to crisp top range. I've spent a fortune on hifi speakers back in the 80s, Kef, Mission, B&O etc but pound for pound and given it's a digital medium I would say it's the best value for money. Ideally paired as a stereo system would be the choice but this works well for our chosen application. Well pleased