Reaction score
Right as an owner of a Trophy for the last few months we have all seen the horror stories surrounding the front dampers & the costs from the stealers involved in replacing them.
Whilst looking into the dampers, you soon realise why they are 'so' good. Not your usual bolt on upgrade, but top quality motorsport items as used by the touring car guys.

So here is the definitive answer;

Hi Steve,
Yes we are the official UK service partner for Sachs Race
Engineering. I am able to service/ repair those parts and we carry all
service parts on the shelf. A typical service (Loose damper.) which includes
replacing all sliding seals/ bushes and oil costs around £140 per damper
plus VAT depending on condition. Damper removal and re- fitting on request.

Out of interest how did you find us in the end?

Kind regards,

Ben Fricker.
Damper Tech.

BG Motorsport Ltd
47- 48 Silverstone Circuit
Silverstone
Northants
NN12 8GZ

P +44 1327 855 200
F +44 1327 855 201
Email; dampers@bgmotorsports.co.uk

So we can all stop panicing & chill out.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Nice work Steve, thread is now sticky :)

That's not too bad at all, would be interesting to hear peoples findings if anyone gets this done.

Reaction score
Glad that BG have confirmed that, as I suspected they can do them - they have a long involvement in motorsport. Just ask if they can dyno check them as part of the overhaul; if funds run to it, I would always recommend overhaul in pairs - if nothing else get the good one dynoed to ensure that they are evenly matched. The perfect time to un-pin them.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yep these are the details i've been pming everyone who thought they may have a problem, i'll be taking my "spares" up there to be checked once i get the s*dding springs off so i can deal with the rust.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
aye, this confirms what i've been told/telling others. Not sure if they want it to be common knowledge though - I suppose as they're not warranty items for too much longer then Reno can't complain.

Reaction score
Great stuff Steve. I'm not longer worried about them ageing, in fact I'm almost considering getting them done at around 50k just to freshen up the car.

Reaction score
IIRC someone (maybe Auds?) was talking to a Reno/Sachs techie at an event somewhere and they offered up a pretty high mileage number before needing to refurb the dampers... I did a few quick searches, but didn't find what I was trying to IIRC :oops:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I seem to remember that as well, i don't think there are any hard and fast rules though, i think they should just be kept a regular eye on.
I stopped worrying too much about this four months ago, and to illustrate the fact that there are no rules, Mark Fish identified a possible problem with mine @ 8000 miles and from a photo sent to Ben Fricker at BG he thought it may be a 4p seal! No worries there. Also both Dampers seem to be fine now.

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the servive provided by BG Motorsport? Looks like I may need to contact them this week!! :(

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
They're the only option as far as rebuilding the dampers go i believe, other than that it's buy some new ones.

Reaction score
Question from chap at BG Motorsport, having refurbed my dampers: does the extra reservoir sit on the front or the rear of the damper?

(Just wants to know which of mine failed for future reference)