photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Saw this on Autotrader today . Anyone know who AST Uk are who rebuilt the Sachs?

This is them:

I had no idea that they re-furbed Sachs dampers... Anyone else? :unsure:

Reaction score
Reading through their history their founder also founded Aragosta (you tend to see those used in a lot of high end Skylines and the like in Japan) and seem to have a pretty serious and impressive history in a lot of different motorsport formulae.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
This is them:

I had no idea that they re-furbed Sachs dampers... Anyone else? :unsure:
I think I've got to the bottom of this, my sleuthing regarding AST led me to Cooksport, who were the UK distributor for AST suspension products. As we know, before they folded, Cooksport had begun to offer a Sachs refurb service, so that's who's probably done the rebuild on the dampers mentioned earlier..

Phew, glad I cleared that up, as I was starting to get slightly excited that AST themselves had become involved in the Trophy Sachs refurb market, it doesn't look like that is the case.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
When it came to light that Cooksport had folded, i did some digging, and found that Josh Cook was or had also been a director of AST...Along with numerous other companies... Its a small world..

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Josh Cook who is a BTCC Driver started out as Cook Motorsport and all they done was coil springs at first I believe, At that point there was another guy doing AST for the UK and he was bad and I mean very bad, He folded and Cook Motorsport took over AST UK and started supplying and refurbing AST Shocks along with other shocks.

Cook Motorsport vanished and im "Guessing" so did AST UK along with it.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I remember looking into getting some AST kit for one of my previous cars, but was warned off due to REALLY bad customer service,, this was some 10 years ago...

Just did some more digging / googling, and it doesnt look great for Josh Cook, it seems all the suspension companies he gets involved in goes into liquidation... Cooksport, AST [UK], and AVO ... All gone...
Im not saying its his problem, BUT...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Im not saying its his problem, BUT...!!!!!!!!!!!!

There seems to be a pattern……..

I think I could think of worse customer service but I would have to try very hard. My experiences with AST are fairly well know, in the end I got in touch with the guys in Europe to do some arm twisting. Shame because it’s mostly quite good.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Im rather sure it was a guy called Curtis who had the AST UK Franchise when I had issues with my AST Top mounts back in 2010/11 and the service was absolutely shocking.

Quick Search Shows this -

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 6.32.23 pm.png