Project 338

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Looks like the parts that were stored in the car have scratched the centre console area a bit .. That's a shame..
But other than that she looks as tidy as any car I've seen lately.. Well done

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Quick question. Am i missing a piece of trim or should the boot seal fit over the plastic as well the the lip on the bodywork?

View attachment 8748

Yes that's wrong. I can't see from that picture but I think you have the trim on the wrong way. The trim consists of three parts, the reinforced part that fits over the metal lip, the rubber part that sits on top and then attached to the side of that another convex shaped bit of rubber that sits inside and covers the plastic parts and gaps seen there.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
You can probably get an interior repair guy to sort all the scratches on the console and glove box. I think they heat them up and re texture.
Interesting... I need a few scratches fixing after the car was used to move house many years ago...! Would it likely work on the backs of the Recaros as well? Mine are in good condition (I think) but did have a few little marks that annoy me.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks Hoolio got the boot sesl sorted - looks much better now. We've made a bit more progress and the inside is now complete with the fitting of the new pedals.

IMG_5229.JPG

We have also given the engine bay and front arches a full degrease and clean. I took the underbody protection off and also cleaned that althought the foam in a plastic bag looks to have seen better days. Anyone know if they are sold separately or a part of the plastic tray?

We have 3 plastic parts which we are not sure where they go.

Firstly the which i think is the protection for the alternator. Dors it fit onto the front bumper somehow?

IMG_5232.JPG

Secondly is this. It seems to have some traces of red paint in the square opening. Is it for front or rear?

The IMG_5234.JPG

Lastly this. I think it might go under the plastic scuttle panel drivers side as this was not on the car ( but we have re fitted now and it feels a little loose on the edge near the wing).

IMG_5236.JPG

Hopefully someone can help us. Still work to do on cleaning up the subframe, sump, etc underneath so will with pictures at the weekend when its light.

Going to see if I can borrow a heat gun and have a go at minimising the sratches on the dash area. As its a relatively gloss finish already it might just work but will possibly have to do whole areas. Plenty in youtube on how to do it!

Reaction score
The splash guard clips in behind the upper grill drivers side, would me better to do it with grill/bumper off, but can be done at a squeeze

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for your help Mike, I'll make sure we fit it before we refit the grill and bumper. I've managed to figure out the locations for all the pieces and have fitted the piece with the white clip that goes under the off side scuttle panel. The last piece goes in the nearside wheel arch against the inner wing.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Despite the rubbish weather over the weekend we have managed to get the bodywork sorted, with just the arch liners to fit. Only took a couple of pictures in the garage.

Marked up the cill to ensure exact positioning of the decal

IMG_5242.JPG
IMG_5244.JPG

IMG_5246.JPG

IMG_5245.JPG

The bad news is that the starer motor/solonoid is on the blink. Just a loud click from the solonoid when you try and start. It started fine when we bumped it and then started several times again, but once left for a short time the click and non start comes back. It's not the immobiliser as the light goes out on the dash. I have noted that the heat shield is missing from the starter motor so I can only guess the heat from the exhaust has done for it or the solenoid. Anyway I've got replacement items coming and hope that it is indeed the cause of the problem. A quick internet diagnosis suggests it is.

Reaction score
At least the starter is only a bolt on mechanical bit, far easier than paint correction etc

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well 3 weeks after we took ownership and it's coming along rather well. We fitted a new wiper stalk with variable delay so the inside is well and truely finished. As you might have read previously we were having starter probelms. A repalcement stater, heat shield (not a job we want to do again in a hurry) and a new battery and all is well.

IMG_5256.JPG

The plan now is to refurb the brake calipers, discs, and hubs and of course the dampers. Rears need a fresh coat of paint at best.

As you will see in the following it's looking half decent again, but ultimately could do with a good machine polish to get rid of a few marks and get the panels as shiney as the bumpers and cills.

IMG_5259.JPG

IMG_5260.JPG

IMG_5261.JPG

IMG_5262.JPG

Finally and I guess a little further into the year we need to get the wheels refurbed.

Attachments

• IMG_5258.JPG
    IMG_5258.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Fantastic work! Well done

Is that exhaust the original one? I'd have to swap that out - I'm a massive advocate of keeping Trophys original but it just doesn't fill the opening (oo-er missus!)

Reaction score
The rims look fine but guess you have had a better look round them. Before you do much more bin those tyres though!
Or read the pistonheads reviews on Infinity tyres, you'll scare yourself if the reports are to believed on performance of them

Reaction score
What more can I say, a part from fantastic work. Your going to have one hell of a great trophy very shortly.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for all the positive comments. The exhaust is a pattern replacement and whilst it does look a little skinny it doesn't make too much noise!

In regard to the rear tyres I intend to change them as soon as I can. The fronts are brand new Bridgestone.

I'm not sure if it comes across well on the pictures but the rear bumper isn't a perfect colour match - looks a little orange. Will see how it looks when the rest of the car is machine polished.

Reaction score
Looks good, is the rear bumper in original paint, the bits on these cars fade at different rates, as you will know by now the plastic has a man no of its own.
As any painter will tell you it's difficult to get a match between paint on metal and same paint on plastic, it just takes differently, even on new cars

Reaction score
Trophy No.
View attachment 8879 View attachment 8880 We've been really busy since the last post. Will update more later on but just thought i would let everyone see progress the front struts. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Before.
IMG_5278.JPG

After the @Rik Perry treatment, plus resparyed springs, new plastic protection tubing at the bottom and my new decals....

IMG_5339.JPG

IMG_5343.JPG

IMG_5344.JPG

Last edited: