Brand New Sachs. (Group Buy)

Reaction score
So I’ve been in contact with Jesse. He’s quoting 650 euros delivered to the uk. I asked about details and if he had PayPal.. he replied with “no PayPal only bank transfer” then I got “I send You tonight”
That was today’s messages... he hasn’t connected me tonight.
I’m a bit apprehensive in sending any money by bank transfer....is there any cover with a bank transfer?.. Is £575 for 2 new dampers too good to be true?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It is a piece of cake to set up a PayPal account, a bank transfer overseas gives you almost zero protection and if he was a serious seller he would offer PayPal as an option. It could be that he is perfectly legitimate but he won't be getting my money.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sorry, I'll modify that. As it stands I would be unlikely to take the risk.

Reaction score
So I have a picture of his bank card and address. He still wants a bank transfer and as soon as funds are in his bank he’ll give me a tracking number.
I’m seriously thinking of using a credit card and going for it. Will let you all know how I get on.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Anyone refusing paypal over a transaction as big as this is an awkward shit at best. I wouldn't be touching that personally.

Reaction score
Are these sachs front shocks legit? For the Clio Trophy and not adjustable? Mine need re-furb so wondering whether to get them done or buy some more.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Are these sachs front shocks legit? For the Clio Trophy and not adjustable? Mine need re-furb so wondering whether to get them done or buy some more.

From looking at the pictures they look like they are 100% adjustable trophy / twingo dampers.
In one of the pictures it looks like the dampers are more silver than anything else so that puts me off a little personally.

I think the main issue with this buying these is sending so money money to someone with no real protection and not knowing what you will get in return.

Reaction score
Picture seem to show original Trophy dampers, not Twingo.'s They are silver and have the dust cap and also seem to carry the sachs sticker, Twingo's have new additional rod bearing, no cap and latest ZF sticker. I didn't know originals still existed anywhere...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
@MarcB did you have a pair of the oem dampers refurb'd and retro fitted with the Twingo scraper seal?

If so where did you source the seal?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
As per my comments in another thread, Jesse does not have any stock of these dampers.

He said he was hoping to get more at the end of the year although how likely that is would be anyone's guess.

Attachments

• jesse.JPG
    jesse.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: Cue

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The eibach spring from the group buy is the original spec... Not sure what you had on the car before hand - wear and tear, age etc could have reduced the effectiveness of the spring rebound plus aged dampers may be having an effect...

Reaction score
The eibach spring from the group buy is the original spec... Not sure what you had on the car before hand - wear and tear, age etc could have reduced the effectiveness of the spring rebound plus aged dampers may be having an effect...
Hi Cue,
Thanks for your reply.
I have a 182 with cup chassis.
I had cup chassis from the factory on the car since 2005 and change the front suspension with recent Sachs dumper and new Eibach spring from the group buy. On the rear recent trophy dumper with the original spring.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cup shocks and dampers are completely different to Trophy ones - so ride height will differ. If you're running trophy rear spec dampers with oem cup springs - the set up will not be 100% spot on as the srping rate is close but not exactly what the oem rear springs were on the trophy.

Also, when you say sach front dampers - are you talking about the remote sachs dampers?

The springs for the group buy are paired in rebound rates to the dampers fyi.

Reaction score
Cup shocks and dampers are completely different to Trophy ones - so ride height will differ. If you're running trophy rear spec dampers with oem cup springs - the set up will not be 100% spot on as the srping rate is close but not exactly what the oem rear springs were on the trophy.

Also, when you say sach front dampers - are you talking about the remote sachs dampers?

From the informations I have on the Trophy:
Front = Remote Sachs dampers and eibach yellow specific trophy spring
Rear = specific dampers with cup spring

The trophy Eibach spring had the same rate of the cup one with -10mm

I have a full trophy chassis now with 15yo spring rear and new on the front.

The front is higher than my old cup chassis.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The trophy Eibach spring had the same rate of the cup one with -10mm
The trophy eibach spring rate differs from the cup spring rate, it's not just a lower version of it. This is where the confusion lies.

The oem Trophy front dampers and springs are bespoke and designed to work with each other. These are 10mm lower than the cup.
The rear dampers were sachs dampers and sachs springs, I think they were on the cup also, but not 100% on that.

This results in the trophy being slightly higher at the back to front compared to cup, which aids with cornering and promotes the 3 wheeling effect. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
The trophy eibach spring rate differs from the cup spring rate, it's not just a lower version of it. This is where the confusion lies.

The oem Trophy front dampers and springs are bespoke and designed to work with each other. These are 10mm lower than the cup.
The rear dampers were sachs dampers and sachs springs, I think they were on the cup also, but not 100% on that.

This results in the trophy being slightly higher at the back to front compared to cup, which aids with cornering and promotes the 3 wheeling effect. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your knowledge Cue.

I have ~36,+ cm from wheel center to front fender with fresh dampers and new springs.
I have ~33,+ cm from wheel center to rear fender with twingo cup dampers and 15 yo original clio 2 cup springs.
What about you?
K

Reaction score
Trophy No.

I'm away to put new front and rear cup shocks on the car for coming into the crap weather soon. Would you specifically recommend only using cup front springs with the cup shocks and not using the trophy springs?

Reaction score
Trophy No.

I think you’re wrong here Cue, the rear spring used on the Trophy was always the same as that used on the Cup. Ie there was never a separate part number.