Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a Renault hot hatch enthusiast. I used to own a Williams and a Trophy and have just finished with an R27 Clio F1 for 3 days.

I used to bang on and on about how great these cars were. They are and I still do. But just to clear things up, the Clio F1 is simply awesome too, better than both in my opinion. All this silly bickering about which one is faster, etc because somebody tried racing one and 'thinks' he was trying too is totally pointless and totally inconclusive.

The F1 isn't created by another manufacturer. Its made by Renaultsport just as the Trophy was. Does anyone think that they would churn out their latest special editition hot Clio that was substandard on performance to the predecessor? I think not. The new F1 is better than the Trophy in EVERY single aspect. Hugely improved comfort and driving position,better seats, better build quality, bigger, more room, new switchgear, one touch on passenger window (finally!!), faster, loads more grip (espec with the much better Continentals), engine is totally reworked (inlet system, valves, pistons,camshaft, crankshaft, exhaust, VVT mods), more torque, more power, better gearbox, more powerful brakes, sounds much much better too. And a few extra kilos? Whatever. Carry your mate around with you in your Trophy and thats fucked that argument up straight away. Increase in power and torque more than compensates. Renaultsport have moved the Clio onwards massively.

I suggest anyone who hasnt driven one and wants to compare them with the Trophy does so. You will see exactly what I mean. And if you don't, then go back and have another go. Your last session wasn't long enough and it wasn't on the right roads.

Reaction score
Me + 1 in my Trophy at the Nurburgring, 2 chumps in full race suits, gloves etc in a LY R27

Outcome, 3 corners into the lap, predecessor overtakes so called awesome new hot hatch.

Final result Ly R27 became very small dot in rear view mirror :)

Moral of the story, the R27 is an awesome car, superb cornering, excellent brakes, just underpowered and heavy!

I feel better now lol!!!

Reaction score
You both come across as biased.

Ady182 - Maybe you're a better driver? Maybe his drivetrain was still a bit tight? What about the new Clio Cup? Doubt trophy is match for it. Don't get me wrong, iILOVED my Trophy. Its an awesome car. I was shouting myself how the new F1 won't be better. Then I drove one. Think I have to re-emphasise that I love the Trophy as people tend to read what they want to read.

g40steve - I'm not trying to win friends or influence anybody. I already have lots of great ones thanks and friends aren't for winning. Knew it would get some bitchy replies as these sort of forums always do. Have you experienced both cars?

The trophy won't be the fastest clio round a track forever guys. Just accept that? Why is that so difficult. All my opinion entails is that Renaultsport have once again done a VERY good job with the F1. Overall, it kicks the Trophy's ass. Sorry, but I think it does.

It's not all about 0-60times and kGs. Grow up. Could imagine your reviews on cars if you wrote for a magazine. Nothing would be as good as a Clio Trophy.

Reaction score
Both of you have a good session in one on roads you are familiar with for a few hundred miles and get back to me. Then I'll value your opinions with much more gravitas

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Day, I couldn't coment as I've only been in the very good Civic Type R and haven't driven one.

Interesting, tell me more?

Day

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to drive one of the first R27's that came in to the UK.

Not bad, needed lots of effort to make it work, still would take the Megane over it seeing as it can be had for the same price.

Have you experienced the cold stalling problem yet?

Another fault that Renault will slip under the carpet.

Reaction score
May I just enlighten this thread with another (in my humble opinion) valid view...

Quote EVO on the ECoTY 'Must Try Harder' cars of which the R27 was one: "We're still waiting for a model that replicates the irrepressible brio of the old 182 Cup and Trophy. The bigger-bodied, heavier 197 has a great chassis but not an engine ballsy enough to fully exploit it."

The R27 was beaten by the latest Cooper S Works which took a place in the ECoTY final and again, to quote EVO: "Cooper S Works couldn't emulate giant-slaying Clio Trophy.."

Thus we deduce that not only do they rate it higher than the R27, but also higher than the current nearest competition.

I am quite happy for the R27 to be a fantastic successor to the Trophy and indeed, if it were to be a better car. After all, The Trophy cannot hold the prize of 'best hothatch to date' forever. However, general opinion appears to say that the R27 is simply lacking that little something extra that the Trophy has. At the end of the day, it seems to me that it depends what you are looking for in car.. My impression from what I have heard is that the R27 is simply a grown up Trophy that is aesthetically better, but perhaps not so raw and ultimately provides fun in a different manner to the Trophy.

And for the record, no I haven't driven an R27, therefore I am only going by the views expressed through knowledgeable sources.

Reaction score
yeah i'm guessing megane is better. Didnt experience the cold start probs, but only had it for 3 days. Dash Lcd backlight flickered though, regardless of alternator revolutions or potentiometer position.

For 15.5k its a bargain. I found it so much less work to get it going?

All good , thanks for comments

Day

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to post on this great site.

Maybe you'll stick around...

Reaction score
How did you happen to get a 3 day hire? I haven't seen the R27 show up on holidayautos or priceline? :p
You also don't happen to be mates with the Renault Masters of Shirley crew do you? :lol: (BTW, its reference to some RSUK forum shenanigans by one of their sales reps :oops: )
All things being equal, I think everyone is taking your little stirring effort in quite good humour... maybe try hailing the E92 M3 on an E46 site next? :roll:

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
You also don't happen to be mates with the Renault Masters of Shirley crew do you? :lol: (BTW, its reference to some RSUK forum shenanigans by one of their sales reps :oops: )

PMSL.... they seem to have gone quiet now on the RS forum

Reaction score
punter123, you need to chill mate.

I couldnt care less if a canoe was bigger, better, faster than my car. As long as me and the girlfriend are out enjoying the car then i'm quite happy.

And anyway the new clio isnt better in EVER respect, because its a crap colour :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i was tempted not to respond to this but can't remain quiet.

ok the 197 r27 is a good car. I've driven one on 4 separate occasions around various tracks and roads and would say it feels like a larger car. You can definitely feel the extra weight imo, why fit 4 pot brembo's if they're not needed? They're there to stop the thing as the 2 pots of the 182's would wilt v v quickly.

You say you've owned one..... what was the number? why have you waited till now to announce this and introduce yourself. The why have you posted something on a website dedicated to a car that you are saying is inferior to a hire car you had for 3 days?

Motive? at a guess you want to antagonise our little community because of some jealousy that whatever car you have or sell isn't getting the recognition you think it deserves.

Don't blame us for the magazine reviews.

And before you start, i've owned more than just reno's, i've driven a fair amount of exotica, RWD, FWD, 4WD, light, heavy, 1to 6 ltrs, sub 200 bhp to over 700 bhp and can tell you the trophy is up there for fun. Which is why i bought one.