Totally Bonkers? £596k for a RS500 Cosworth.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I know someone who knew the Seller - he paid £38000 for it in 2009 - that's some profit.

Also because it made so much he paid no commission supposedly to sell it -

Crazy money - however it takes two in an Auction - 1 Person UK - 1 in Dubai who bought it so I read.

Someone will have a delivery mileage Moonstone/White car that they only made 52 Blue - 56 white to roll out soon, what will that make.

Reaction score
If that original purchase price is correct...Jesus that is serious profit Nick.

Fair play to the seller, with the added bonus of not having to pay commission.
But I'd be thinking, what else could that sort of money have bought, or even a
few different cars....

Chipper

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
It’s been well documented already but to me Its just one mega wealthy person not wanting to be publicly outdone by another mega wealthy person, so the figures pale into significance.

A Dubai bidder was bid out of the Diana S1 Rs Turbo, so perhaps they didn’t want to be outdone twice, so could have been a pride thing on the RS500 (if it sold to Dubai), which drove up the price? Only the bidders know….

Its a bit of sport on a Saturday for the mega rich and Silverstone and the other big auction houses are making out of it, fair play to them I suppose!

Paul Linfoot has sold a few cracker RS500 road cars in the last while for around the £130k mark, so there was and is no need to go to nearly £600,000 for one. You could have bought the Tim Harvey Labbatts Race car and a lowish mileage road car from Paul Linfoot and still had £150k in your pocket. Sometimes it’s obviously not about the money….

Congrats to the original seller though, I’m sure he can’t believe his luck😊👍