Reaction score
Anyone else having the same problem and can it be fixed?......when I take the car out for a good blast or from a long journey, when I come to stop (traffic lights or jct) The car seems to 'tick' loudly? and if I up the revs slightly the ticks seem to go faster to the revs?? I thought it might be the charcoal cannister or I have heard that the injectors can be loud.
It wasn't this loud on my old 172 cup (53plate) I have just had the oil and filter changed too.

Richard

Reaction score
Mine makes a loud buzzing noise after a long run sometimes. Haven't got a clue what it is though :p

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ive been looking into this since you mentioned it and the Carbon Canister does seem to be a common issue with the ticking noise.
Basically it absorbs fuel vapour then releases it back into the inlets at a controlled rate.

I found this in the workshop manual:

CANISTER PURGE CONDITION

The canister purge solenoid valve is controlled by
track 4 of the computer when:
- the coolant temperature is greater than 55 °C,
- the air temperature is greater than 10 °C,
- a load threshold is reached,
- the throttle potentiometer position is not noload.

That would explain why the ticking only occurs when the engine is warm/after a long journey.

I still have no idea what makes the ticking noise tho...? Try disconnecting it when the engine is warm for a few seconds and see if it stops...

Reaction score
You've described the noise I get sometimes exactly, it doesn't seem as bad recently but I can still here it when stopping after a bit of a drive. When I asked a few people they also mentioned the cannister thing.

Reaction score
Are you sure its not the CAT? I know mine ticks when hot after a spirited drive.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Its not the ticking from the exhaust/cat cooling, Its coming from the Engine department.

Reaction score
Mines started to do this recently. It's a rythmic tapping/ticking sound that rises and fall with the engine revs. Thought it might be noisy tappets or something. Its due for a 36k service soon at Angelworks so will ask the guys there what it might be

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ye noisy tappets are a likely cause. Im sure Angelworks will tell you what it is. Mine is due a 36K service in 4K but Angelworks is a bit far for me so im going to take it to Reno. I cant say ive noticed a tapping noise on mine yet although I will probably be listening out next time I go for a long drive.

Keep us posted as to what Angelworks come up with.

Reaction score
its not the exhaust cooling down as some of you are thinking - as jonc said it sounds like noisy tappets, just curious as my old 172 cup never made a noise this loud!

Reaction score
I agree with the above, it's definately not the metallic ticking of cooling metal. It's definately a sound that's linked to engine revs. It's not always there either, I find if I stop at a set of traffic lights it starts after about 30 seconds, and if I give a decent rev it goes away for another 20-30 seconds.

Reaction score
Agree with the ticking sound. I shall mention to Ben at AW tomorrow when I'm in for my 36k service...

Reaction score
Is yours ticking as well ? It's seeming to be a common sound here but when I asked on RS when I first noticed mine I didn't get many responses.

Reaction score
Be interesting to find out what it is. I use the silkoline pro S oil and it has been used in the car before.

Reaction score
I'm sure its the carbon canister's solenoid v/v, to test it you could dissconnect the plug on the carbon canister and run it for a day or so. New ones aren't very expensive from renault.

Mine does the same, will be removing the system completely in a while to fit brake ducts.

If it was the tappets i'd have thought it would be noisy on cold start etc not when it's warmed up?

Reaction score
I had an hour long spin up to Stafford the other day and noticed that my Trophy was making the ticking noise that you guys mentioned above. It was very noticeable on tick over and if you dabbed the throttle it was even more noticeable! I thought it might be one of the tappets, have any of you guys had this issue sorted since the start of this thread? Also where is this carbon canister solenoid?

Reaction score
Mine does it too
It's been
Doing it ever since I bought it nearly 2 years ago
I think it has something to do with variable valve timing (vvti)
The solenoid or pulleys???
Any ideas guys??

Reaction score
Mine has always done it since I've had it at 55k 2 and a half years ago. It never been a problem and the tickIng isnt loud enough to be annoying. Just assumed it was ment to do that lol